I am totally overwhelmed... too much information, I feel confused

(Blueheeler1959) #14

yummy looking thanks for the ideas

(Blueheeler1959) #15

I always went for the dense wheat and multi grained breads, loved the nutty taste. Have to say I do miss that at times.

(Blueheeler1959) #16

i miss the dense wheat and multi grain breads with their nutty flavor

(Blueheeler1959) #17

oh boy lemon curd is a huge love of mine i hope this tastes close to the real thing
lots of good info thank you

(Stickin' with mammoth) #18

You betcha. One of the first things I did when I went keto was whip up crustless pizza. I slathered tomato sauce on a non-stick, sided baking sheet and layered all the goodies on top of it, then melted it in the oven. If you wait until it’s cool and then pop it in the fridge, it’ll solidify to the point you can section it with a spatula and then freeze yourself some pizza squares. Except, I never did.

Because I’m pretty sure it’s impossible to put off fresh, hot pizza for another day…nom…nom…nom…

PS: Don’t talk to me about pork rind crusts, etc., that takes even longer.

(Bob M) #19

You eat it cold?

(Stickin' with mammoth) #20

Does a college student cram for finals?

(Bob M) #21

I never did. But I’m probably the most regimented person anyone has ever met.

I’m not sure I could eat cold cheese with cold meat on it. If you can do it, it’s not a bad idea, and takes less time than making pizza.

Personally, I like a chicken crust pizza. Granted, it does take a while to make, but it provides a pizza-like experience.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #22

You mean like building mini pizzas on crunchy, salty roasted chicken skins? My God, man, you’re a genius.

I use Joseph’s Lavash Bread (a flatbread similar to a low-carb tortilla) for many of my pizzas. I always cut up the large flatbread into bread-sized squares when I open the package. From there, it can be used to make so many different things in just a few minutes.

(Jane) #24

I score my Lavash bread into chip-size pieces, bake it until it is slightly brown and crispy and then break the sheet up into the chips. Great for dipping into chicken/tuna salad, pimento cheese, etc.

I use low carb wraps for my pizza crusts, Bake at 400 F for 3 minutes, remove, added cooked toppings, bake anoother 8-10 min to melt the cheese. I use Rao’s sauce because it doesn’t have any added sugar.

eta: I forgot to add I brush my Lavash bread with olive oil so I can get seasonings to stick - ranch dressing powder, everything bagel seasoning, garlic salt, etc.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #25

Enjoy, I leave the grains to you.

(Jane) #26

Have you read this yet?

When I started out I only counted carbs and didn’t know what my macros were. I did Atkins in the 70’s when I was in high school so I already knew how to do “low carb” - what I had to learn was get over my fear of fat that the ignorant nutritionists have been pounding into us for decades.

I didn’t go overboard on fat, but it made the meals delicious and sustainable for me.

Here is another thread where people post pictures of what they eat and I’ve gotten inspiration from these threads also (we are on thread 5 as we have to start new ones when they get too many posts due to all the pictures).

(Allie) #27

When I first stumbled into keto it was because I was being lazy and just cooking meat and nothing else… doesn’t get much easier.

(Marianne) #28

Other than getting a starting weight, I only get weighed at the doctor’s. I detest the scale and wouldn’t dream of weighing myself at home. I’m not going to do that to myself anymore. You will be able to tell how you are doing by your appearance and your clothes. Just eat, enjoy your food, keep doing that, and let the days pass happily.

(Marianne) #29

Fangs is right, however, this transition doesn’t have to be difficult. I took to the keto way of eating like a duck to water from the very first day. I had never eaten such delicious food - and lost 75 lbs (and fixed a ton of physical ailments)! Yes, keto is a completely different way of eating, however, I hope you find it completely delicious and satisfying. Once you get some time under your belt eating cleanly, it’s very interesting to think back on the junk we used to put in our body and what that was doing to us internally.

I also wanted to mention the website dietdoctor.com. If you get a chance, read the “success stories.” They are so inspirational! I think I read each one three times over, they helped me so much. These people all knew exactly where I was at and had been and they conquered their obesity and health problems - and I believed them. They were right. :hugs:

Good bread is super flavorful IMO… My SO loved bread and always eats it with something else. I was just mildly into it but I loved it alone (okay, even better with butter. a smaller loaf is no challenge). And it has its own texture too :slight_smile:
Well I quit bread for several years as just because something is nice, I don’t need it and I always liked many things (like eggs, my perfect darlings I am in everlasting love with) WAY more than bread anyway.

Then I changed and though I have low carb bread I kinda like, I don’t need my bread to be similar to bread so I simply use my sponge cakes as bread (100% eggs but whipping the whites changes so much! :D). Perfect bread, way better than normal one but I quit high-carb more than a decade ago and LOVE eggs.

By the way, rice has flavor too, it’s subtle but I still can’t replace it with anything. Pasta is only tasty when very eggy though… (It just has very unneeded flour, pure eggs are better if you ask me. Pasta - I loved that earlier - was the easiest to replace, I just use eggs, it even got way tastier. I just borderline miss the macaroni shape sometimes but as they don’t do it with many eggs, I can’t be tempted as I wish for something that doesn’t exist. Oh well, I survive :smiley: We don’t need to eat everything that’s - would be - fun.)

@Blueheeler1959, don’t you like keto food? I wouldn’t do keto then (I am a hedonist and I have my limits) unless it’s vital for your health. Maybe low-carb or some rules are enough for me? Or you can do on/off keto like me but many people dislike that and I understand, I only do that because I can’t stay on keto because I get tempted and I never resist real temptation due to reasons. Not everyone needs keto or keto all the time (especially for fat-loss. I lost fat but never on keto - tiny amounts don’t count - though I am almost sure I will need keto for the last ~40lbs. and much, much more than keto… actually, OMAD helps more). And some of us need a more gradual change. I made 3 big jumps myself until I could go low enough.

Definitely don’t go back unless you feel you need for some reason. Nope, not even then. Keep the best changes like no (or super tiny) added sugar? Sugar isn’t good. If you need a tiny bit extra to stay close, maybe add that? I do that but I train myself to go lower and be happy there as I FEEL in my body (and even mind now) that that’s my way. And I slowly change. Sometimes quickly, carnivore sped up things for sure… Even when I restrict myself more than what is okay for me long term, it may help :wink: I change quicker, I appreciate the huge indulgence of keto later… Even often find that too much nowadays but I am so far from being new at it… It took a lot of time for me. But I would have quit on the 2nd day if I wouldn’t enjoy it as much as my previous woe or more. But keto isn’t very restrictive (except regarding carbs), you can have so many different great food! Just because the typical ones don’t work for you (or sometimes do but not all the time), you may like your own version. It may take to figure out that, I had that with paleo ages ago, I was so lost, what could I eat, I wondered :smiley: I was so, so tiny. Now it’s no problem even with close to zero plants (carnivore is easy and enjoyable but not longer term, for me)! You can make so many things even with just eggs! (One needs other things, sure but it’s amazing what eggs can do. I am bored with them? I still may love them in some different way… With a little other thing…)

:smiley: My only childhood fav sandwich got so much better when I just skipped bread :smiley: But it had pickles so it was not carnivore and even had added sugar (tiny but still. I may be fine with sugar, I am not so fine with added sugar. I don’t care if it’s logical or not) and I missed something soft but dry in it so now I eat something different. Carnivore sandwiches are my thing now! :smiley:
But I have low-carb bread if I want something bread-like. I usually don’t but I have that option.
Many people likes keto breads, maybe it’s best for the OP, who knows?

I see people talk about pizza. Well pizza is totally impossible to replace. IDK why I am such a pizza gourmet when I ate pizza, like, 10 times in my life? :smiley: I am almost sure we didn’t have pizza here when I was very young.
I make wheat not-pizzas and they are super far from real pizza. But it’s fine, I just want to eat great food and crunchy food and this and that but not each and every items that I ever tasted and was nice. I still like certain pizza tops, couldn’t ever eat crustless not-pizza, that’s not even a not-pizza, it’s just pizza top alone, weird… My crust is obviously eggs :slight_smile: But some boring meat can go into it too. Flavorful meat would bother me as I always strongly preferred vegetarian pizza. But it’s a personal thing. I definitely never would put cheese into the crust as I dislike cheesy things in general. Except melted cheese on top of something :smiley: So all the cheese must be on top. I made a nice 4-cheeses not-pizza this week (well too, one with bread dough and one with eggs, the latter is way tastier, obviously. for me, at least).
But there are zillion keto pizza recipes, some may work even if they aren’t like real pizza. They still may be tasty! A lots of replacement things are like this: they are super bad at replacing the original but they may be very good in their own right. (It’s individual too, some people consider imitations good while they are NOTHING like the original to me and it would be super annoying to expect that and to be disappointed.)

We all have different experiences on keto. Of course it’s not easy and successful for everyone right away. But sometimes keto is totally for us, we just didn’t find our sweet spot yet. Or need some time.

Good luck!

I so agree with this. One of the biggest things that helped me was advice from others, some worked, some did not for me personally, but it gives us a path to try.

The most important info was from maintainers. I learned from them how to keep off the weight we lost. Finally figured that out LOL Every maintainer long term said the same thing over and over and it sunk it for me, you must eat the same on maintenance as you did to lose the lbs and hit your goal.

I was that type that dieted and when hit goal, said done, I did it. Lbs gone, feel better, now lets ‘moderate’ the crap food and introduce it back but I know I can handle it HAHA No I never could, so I seeked out from maintainers what is that magic key to long term success and found it from their advice. The way ya ate for your success is the way to eat to maintain your success :slight_smile:

The journey will be different for each of us for sure but those inspiration success stories do help alot to learn such valuable info.

(Marianne) #32

Exactly!

(cheryl) #33

Since February 2018 , religiously every weekend I drag out my breadmaker ( not necessary) and select dough cycle and throw in the ingredients that were were tested by Diedre’s Kitchen (Low Carb Bread)on You Tube… she has given me a bread recipe that is the closest to multigrain bread (my favorite type bread). It’s a yeast bread with ground flax seeds and wheat gluten, oat fiber , each slice is 2 grams of carbs … i make sandwiches nearly everyday for my work lunches … I am type 2 diabetic and my A1C has come down to 5.4 ( at last testing ) I still take metformin but I was staring insulin in the face when I started eating low carb … I havent lost much weight but I feel 100% better now