I am beginning to think this is impossible for me

Grass fed? Aren’t the shittiest hamburgers, full of fat with a little bit of meat, actually what one would like for keto? (I’m not a big fan of meat, so I’m looking somewhere else for protein, like cheese and fish.)

(Karen) #125

Actually a lot of food you used to eat have elements of keto.wan’t a burger . . eat one. Skip the bun. Lettuce wrap it. Skip ketchup and add mayo. Dill pickles and cheese, lettuce are fine.

Want soup- stay with clear broth soups, lots of green vegetable. Maybe bonebroth.

Spaghetti - zucchini noodles and Alfredo. Make your own so flour doesn’t creep in.

Sandwich - meat, cheese, mayo, mustard, lettuce, thin slice tomato, Julian almond bread, or make your own.

Simplest dinner is broil piece of meat, big pile of fresh spinach, mayo and lemon juice dressing, yum

(Brian) #126

Time out!!

Simplify…

You mention bacon and eggs, that’s fine. There are different ways to eat bacon and different ways to eat eggs. And both are good for keto. That doesn’t mean that’s all you can eat.

Find some simple meals that are keto and work on those.

An example might be, have a grilled steak with butter and salt, a serving of asparagus, and if you want, maybe a side salad. No fancy ingredients, just a simple meal.

Another example might be grilling a piece of salmon and having some cooked/steamed broccoli (with some melted or even browned butter on it), salad optional.

You could look into some cauliflower griddle cakes, they’re simple, just some egg, cheese, and steamed and riced cauliflower mixed up and fried like you would potato cakes. Pretty good eats, and they go well with eggs in the morning or with some keto chilli over top.

Omelettes are good, you can put most anything (keto) in one of those. Keto pizza can be really easy to make, and they don’t have to be complicated at all. Turkey and green bean casserole can be keto friendly. You want simple? How about some good ol’ deviled eggs?!

There are lots of things that don’t require 80 ingredients. There are lots of things that don’t even require 8 ingredients.

Start with one good meal and go from there. There are some good recipes on this site if you go poking around. There are tons of keto friendly recipes online, and if you need to see someone making them, youtube.

If you decide to branch out into some of the more complicated stuff later on, that’s great. If you just want to keep it really simple, there is no necessity of you’re ever doing anything complicated at all.

Good luck!

(Ross) #127

Cooking is a great life skill. I am grateful my mother took the time to make sure I was very comfortable in the kitchen.

If this is the first time you have tried to cook, then yes, there is an initial cost outlay for the basics but you shouldn’t need 80 different new items to make a few meals.

Tip: Find a food coop that has bulk spices. It will save you a bunch of money.

If you eat bacon (I eat a lot) then best practice is to eat the uncured stuff (no nitrates).

Joy of Cooking is my go-to cook book and you can get a copy easy at Target or similar store. Many of the recipes can be adapted to keto with minimal changes. It’s a fantastic teaching cookbook too with many illustrations and details. Most of the “keto” cookbooks I’ve seen suffer from being overly complicated. I own a couple but I never use them.

Have you ever made “CRACK SLAW”? Here. I’ll teach you how to make your first Keto meal. It’s easy.

Stuff you will need:

1. 2 T (tablespoons) bacon fat.
  2. 1 lb ground pork (80/20 ie 20% fat or more works great).
  3. 1 large onion sliced
  4. 2 to 3 cloves garlic chopped
  5. 1/2 to 1 T chopped ginger root
  6. 1 8 oz package sliced mushrooms (wash them) or 1 can sliced mushrooms.
  7. 2 or 3 T Soy Sauce (I use Tamari sauce…it’s gluten free)
  8. 1 or 2 T sesame oil
  9. 1 T apple cider vinegar (or whatever vinegar you have around)
  10. 1 T Sriracha sauce (more if you like it hot)
  11. 12 to 16 OZ “slaw”. Shredded cabbage or broccoli work great

Heat bacon fat in a large pan or dutch oven on medium heat.
Add onions, garlic & ginger root and saute for a bit until the soften.
Add mushrooms & ground pork and turn up heat to medium high.
Stir and brown the meat.
Add all the liquid items and mix into the hot meat mixture.
Add the slaw and turn heat to medium and cook until slaw is soft.

There you go. Keto Chow at its best.
Lots of fat. Good fiber. Great nutrients.

You can even make a big batch and just scoop out enough for a meal and heat it up in the microwave.
It’s low cost and you can eat off of a batch for a few days.

Oh yeah, when you make bacon…save the fat. It’s liquid gold. Use it for cooking everything. Saves you money by not needing to go buy cooking fat. Works better than cooking in butter because butter has a lower smoking point.

Chicken liver is another great low cost Keto option too. You can get a pound of frozen organic chicken livers for next to nothing.

1 to 2 T bacon fat
1 lb chicken livers
1 large onion sliced
2 cloves garlic chopped
1 T dijon mustard
1/2 cup white wine
salt and pepper to taste

heat bacon fat in skillet over medium heat
add onion & garlic and cook until soft and starting to brown.
add livers and cook a few min until just cooked through. Don’t over cook.
Add white wine, salt and pepper and reduce down.
Chop up the livers with your spatula into small pieces.
Liver is all about mouth feel. Smaller pieces are key.
Plate up and enjoy.

There, now you have two simple keto dishes that are very inexpensive and highly nutritious!
Liver is the first or second most nutritious thing you can eat. (I think eggs may be a small step up).

(Ellen) #128

I’ll go to’t foot of our stairs! York & Lancs share the honour of cradle of life IMO (am a pink rose).

(Liz S) #129

Another super easy keto meal is some kind of meat (steak, porkchop, salmon, chicken, whatever you feel like) and cook it how you like it in a nice portion of butter or whatever oil of your choosing and then having a nice big greek salad with olives, feta, some cucumber, tomatoes, romaine (or spinach), and extra virgin olive oil, oregano, salt, pepper, and some lemon juice as a dressing. If its going to be a single meal sort of day this is the salad:

• 100g lettuce
  • 50g tomato
  • 50g cucumber
  • 30g feta
  • 12-15 black olives cut in half
  • 1 or 2 tablespoons of good extra virgin olive oil (California Olive Ranch is my fav atm)
  • 1/4 to 1/2 of a lemons worth of juice, prolly like 2-3 tsps
  • some oregano (dry or fresh)
  • salt and pepper to taste

For meats most are good with just salt and pepper with a really good sear and buter :smiley:

Head to the Diet Dr website, plenty of easy delicious recipes and tips, in fact everything you need to know. https://www.dietdoctor.com

(Mike Glasbrener) #131

Lol. Bacon fat to cook everything… I have an over flowing container in the refrigerator with about 8 cups of bacon grease. I use it liberally when I’m not fasting. However, I now throw some away when I cook bacon. I’m out of storage space. I feel bad when I do this…

(A ham loving ham! - VA6KD) #132

I love the smell of frying bacon and I’ve often wondered if you could make candels with bacon fat. :grin:.

(Stacy ) #133

I love smoked salmon and eggs in a change up for your bacon and eggs…lol. I found this girl who is on You Tube her name is Ruth May, she has some great advice and has a shopping and grocery list episode too. Check her out on you tube if you can…also you can Google recipes on this site called mwlw recipes. Good luck, you got this!

(Shelley) #134

I always use Pinterest to find Keto recipes. I have found some amazing things. Also, many keto inspired recipes. I take some of the recipes and modify them. I did an inside out lasangua a while back and instead of pasta noodles, I used spinach. I also did a turkey curry last night so use up the left over turkey. The web is your friend!

(Jen) #135

I had a pound of ground beef I needed to use and some broccoli and cauliflower and a bell pepper. Browned the ground beef with ginger and black pepper- garlic powder. Added soy sauce and just a tad of stir fry sauce. Basic simple just kept the sauce really light. I do a lot of throw together things. Ultimately you have to mix it up with the foods your eating if your getting bored. Cauliflower rice with added small chopped veg is pretty tasty with some protein.

(Jen) #136

I like to swing through a burger fast food place and order bunless burgers. Big Mac without a bun is really good when I feel like cheating or I don’t want to slave the stove. Well, it’s not cheating but it sure feels like it when I am done !

(Empress of the Unexpected) #137

Is the difference between Keto and hflc simply a matter of number of carbs?

(Arlene) #138

Pretty much. Keto concentrates on keeping carbs low enough to remain in ketosis (fat burning mode). LCHF doesn’t specify keeping carbs low enough to remain in ketosis. LCHF just means lowering your carb intake to a level that accomplishes your weight/health goals. In the end, there’s very little difference between the two labels.

(Jennifer ) #139

Yo did you ever figure out those keto macaroons?