I am beginning to think this is impossible for me

I think you’re on to something here!

(Dustin Cade) #22

On one hand we do spend more on groceries, spend more time cooking… on the other I have the energy and new found love of cooking my way to delicious healthiness… we don’t go out to eat, we don’t stop at dairy queen, or fast food… our family of 4 go through like 6 dozen eggs a week, that’s like 4 bucks… we don’t buy grass fed, organic, free range stuff, we buy what’s fatty and on sale, we’ve collected all the ketofied ingredients like almond flour and coconut flour, bags of pork rinds… we just buy meat, cheese, eggs, oil, I buy coconut oil in bulk, just bought 3 gallons of Nutivia organic refined on Amazon for less than 60$, just gotta find it on sale… find butter on sale, buy a bunch and freeze it, but bacon on sale and freeze it… the theme of most of these posts is keep calm and keto on and most importantly, KEEP IT SIMPLE! so stop and eat the bacon!

Lots of great advice and I’d like all the previous posts, but sadly @discourse member levels limit likes too much IMHO. :wink:

I’ll add, “How do you eat an elephant?”.

Cut it up, turn it into bacon :bacon: and eat 1 slice at a time! :joy:

Take some basic recipes and mix is up.

For example, I like eggs, so I vary the ingredients I add quite a bit over time and check out @Fiorella’s posts for cooking ideas - simple changes to the same basic ingredients can make big differences in the tastes and textures. Of course Maria’s cookbooks are also great and there’s also plenty of information available from Carrie Brown online who deliberately makes an attempt to keep preparation simple and affordable.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #24

See @richard, @carolT, @carl, @devhammer??!!??

Since when did Discourse impose a “like” limit on this forum? Hasn’t happened to me yet…

And I “like” dozens of times a day.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

But what you’re saying is overall you spend less cuz you don’t buy fast food too?

I’m curious, I don’t have kids to feed.

I spend way less on groceries now that I’m ketogenic. Though I do buy McDicks bunless McDoubles, only every few weeks. It’s amazing how often I’d stop at convenience stores, gas stations, drug stores and go thru a myriad of fast food drive through to buy a “snack” when I was a carb burner. Now I don’t eat till after 4 pm most days and then, only one meal!

(G. Andrew Duthie) #26

I’ve never hit the limit either. I’ve heard one exists but I don’t know much more than that, sorry.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #27

And here I thought @BillJay was just sweet on me. Liking every post I made.

APPARENTLY he likes EVERY post EVER made by EVERYONE.

I am crushed. My world tilted on its axis. Reality as I knew it? False. SMDH. It’s a sad sad day…

(Dustin Cade) #28

Well we do buy way more steak… they do cost more than cheap frozen pizzas…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #29

I think things may be different when you have children. Adult ketoers can IF for long periods of time. If you’re now serving steaks to the whole family, the kids are still eating 3 meals a day plus snacks, and they still need some carb foods stocked, I can see your grocery bill going up.

Have you listened to the Keto Parenting podcast? May give you some tips, but mostly you’ll laugh your ass off because @Karen_Mangiacotti and her husband Mark Miller crack me the hell up.

(Karen Mangiacotti) #30

So, in our family, which includes 2 teenage boys and a 6 year old who eats like one, our food bills went down when we went on Keto. There is simply less eating when fat increases. There are no carby snack foods in our house and that is a huge savings. I think it depends on how you do it, but from my experience, giving your family food that has lots of fat keeps them full for longer and we now have to change it up and go for family walks instead of eating so many family meals.

(Dustin Cade) #31

Oh yeah, our kids are keto by default, uys also done them so much good! We only cook keto, keto only keto food in the house, we do have a popcorn popper they use to make snacks, they eat a lot of string cheese… these pictures show spring break 2016 in the left and spring break 2017 on the left… and yes I’ve listened to the parenting episode.

(Newbie in Kansas. ) #32

What did I do…did I like too many posts?

I was just trying to let people know that I appreciated the time they took to respond to my initial post.

Anyway…thanks again people…you are great.

(Newbie in Kansas. ) #33

@Bahrutile Very impressive.

I am curious…what kind of snacks do you make with the popcorn popper?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #34

You didn’t do anything! @BillJay was talking about himself.

Apparently he is a serial “liker” Lol

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #35

Ahhh @Bahrutile

That is incredible.
Keto parents ROCK

Handsome boys you got there. They are so fortunate to have you.

(Richard Morris) #36

Yeah there is a limit - you get more the higher your trust level is.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #37

OK. Wow. TIL

(Tom) #38

I totally misread that…

Keep it simple. I am a classic overthinker and tend to over complicate things. By taking a step back, you can find simple meal plans like the one I linked below to help you get started. IMHO, the books are great for special occasions, but for every day, it can be overwhelming. Here is a simple plan that I have shown to friends to help them get started

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #40

I’m not even gonna ask…