Husband Fail

(Julie Wray) #1

So, my husband tried Keto for a month (I’ve been doing it since August 2017) and the cravings were relentless. When he’s eating carbs, he’s happy, not hungry, never thinks about food. Keto made him hungry, cranky, and all he thought about was food. I thought it was the keto flu and withdrawl. but after a month, it should have abated, right? Because I’d eventually like to get the entire family on this way of eating.
Personally, I don’t think he ate enough fat and I couldn’t get him to eat fat bombs or anything.

(Tamara Beard) #2

Julie, I’m sorry your husband did not find it useful.

Had to click and like your post because of the title.

Happy Ketoing.

(Lynne Hurley Perry) #3

I wouldn’t pressure him too much at this point. Encourage him to increase the quality of his food-higher quality for the carbs he does have. Plant some seeds about trying again down the road.

(Julie Wray) #4

Thanks. I will do so. He DID lose weight and bloating, but the relentless thinking about food did him in…something I dealt with my entire freaking life before finding Keto. Keto has released me from my chains. :blush:

(*Rusty* Instagram: @Rustyk61) #5

He more than likely was not eating enough fat and never became fat adapted. That’s usually why people don’t make it!

My husband only made it a week. He started keto and IF both last week, and he caught a terrible cold. He was so super grumpy all week. I thought he was going to have a temper tantrum when I told him DayQuil and NyQuil had sugar in them.

I think that’s true with my husband also. He can’t get past the lies that fat is bad for you.

(Karen Parrott) #8

I had food cravings for one year to 1 1/2 years. I was addicted to carbs in it took that long for the cravings to go away. I would let your husband figure it out for himself. If he’s like me he will have to decide that his health is top priority. Nobody bugging me could get me to do it. I had to decide to do it myself and suffer the cravings. It was awful but the side effects of obesity were worse.

Fat bombs only made me fat they never took away my cravings because I’m one of those people who can binge on fat bombs. Onward and if your husband wants to try It again, he very well may, support him with abstaining techniques and ask him what he needs

Think about what a person would need if they were quitting drinking, smoking, gambling and their high was gone. As you might expect it’s not a happy , whimsical time. It’s white knuckling and pure grit. If I had someone telling me that I should be feeling happy , energetic and boundless energy I would lose my cool, for sure.

Take care I really do think he’ll come back around again.

(Julie Wray) #9

Yeah, that was my theory.

(Jenn Monaghan) #10

Some people take longer to break the carb addiction. Personally, I had really bad cravings for 2 months and even cheated in my first month by eating a real pizza. The longer I go, the easier it gets. I’m 10 months in now and still think of pasta or bread at least once a week, but I can resist it easily now.

(Candy Lind) #11

You already got a lot of good comments. I’ll just address two things you said.

He goes for hours on end without eating at all? Or he’s happy and not hungry because he’s grazing 16 hours a day? I’m putting my money on the latter. I was there once.

Then he wasn’t eating keto. Simple as that. He wouldn’t have been hungry if he was eating fat to satiety. It doesn’t matter what he was eating before, enough fat would have turned off his hunger guns. He might have way OVER eaten the fat, but the guns would eventually be silenced.

See if you can get him to try again down the line, and this time have a big batch of bacon in the fridge ready to eat. If he’s hungry at the end of a meal, bacon for dessert. Hungry between meals? Bacon. Cravings? Bacon. It’s worth a try. He’s got to eat more fat.

I’m curious - what was his objection to fat bombs? That’s surprising, since most mimic high-carb foods.

(Richard Hanson) #12

I was astonished one day when I noticed that half a pound of butter had disappear into my coffee cup. :frowning: And I love munching on pecans while sipping my keto coffee.

I am having to pay attention as my weight is going in the wrong direction.

Keto for Lie!

Best Regards,
Richard

Keto for Life! (Fixed) :slight_smile:

(Ken) #14

Kind’a surprising, since so many of the right foods are “Man Friendly”. For him, at first, I’d feed him fatty steak, eggs, veggies with cheese and cream sauces. For snacks, encourage salami, summer sausage, and high fat cheeses. Let him eat pork rinds and chip dip. Most guys would go for that stuff.