Hunger signals end of meal

(Alec) #1

Hi guys
I just had an interesting revelation at the end of a meal. I just had a lovely meal of fatty lamb and chicken wings with cauli rice dripping in butter with some mayo. Lots of lovely fat.

So, I got towards the end of the meal, and was starting to feel vaguely full (but not really full). Anyway, I decided that I should call it quits at that point, and took plate and remaining food to kitchen and put in bin (much was reheats anyway, so no point keeping it).

At that point, habit made me look in the fridge for dessert. I saw a couple of things I could eat, but I also saw some creamy/fatty foods, and asked myself “ok, could you eat that, ie more fat?”. The answer was no. In fact I felt sick at the thought of eating more fat. This was a clear sign to me that I did NOT need to eat anything more. I am convinced that if I was in a HCLF diet, I would have eaten another round.

Conclusion: fat = fast satiety. “Can you/do you want to eat more fat” is a great question to ask at the end of a meal. The answer is telling you if you are satiated.

Might be obvious to some people, but this was a revelation to me just now. I am sitting here feeling well full right now. I love fat!
Cheers
Alec

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #2

Good on you, mate! It is a strange sensation, isn’t it, not to be hungry. even though there’s still room in the belly for more. (It’s like that old joke about being overdrawn while still having checks: “I can’t be satiated—I still have food on my plate!”) :smiley: :bacon:

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #3

I love this!!!

I’ve been eating my own homemade keto treats after dinner. Varying combinations of hazelnut or almond flour, stevia, cocoa and sometimes cream. If only I’d asked myself the question you asked yourself, 99 times out of 100 I wouldn’t have eaten the treat. And I’d be a kilo or two lighter now.

(Alec) #4

Gabe
I’ve also made some keto treats and eaten them at the end of a meal. I am really not sure if they help or hinder. However, I am doing so well on IF and keto (70lbs down) I reckon that I can do a few experiments and shake things up a bit to see how the last 20lbs will go.

In fact, I have often thought whether I should try to keep my weight steady for a bit to make sure i was still in control of it!

KCKO!
Cheers
Alec

But even if you just eat till the vague satiety, the problem is that the amount is not much, leading to the possibility that you get hungry quickly as well.(digested too fast)

I am somewhat new to keto… Tried it a few years ago, then let life get in the way of sticking with it. Back on the wagon now and one thing I learned is exactly what you all pointed out, that the draw for something sweet after a meal was merely habitual. I have taken to brushing my teeth after meals… the minty, somewhat sweet taste of the toothpaste seems to satisfy that craving if I truly am not still hungry.

(Raj Seth) #7

That is tip of the Year!!

Yes yes yes! This! Just last night I was thinking how weird to have the tummy not full yet you’re good to stop eating now.