Hunger Cues on IF- newbie

(Laurel) #1

Hey guys!
I’m new to Keto and have been going about a week now and doing IF the whole time. Usually a 16:8 ratio. I’m struggling with hunger cues and how to know when to break a fast. Yesterday I finished my eating window at 6pm and got home at 8 from work and just felt like I needed more food. I had already eaten around 1400 calories and 22g carbs. Ended up taking in another 600 Keto friendly calories and ended my day at 40 carbs. Bet was less but I’m still learning how to count net vs total. Woke up and my pee strips says I’m still in Ketosis and a dark color at that. How do you guys judge how long you should fast for in the beginning and how do you know it’s true hunger and your body needing food versus mental hunger? I find I mentally crave food when my body may not need it. Thanks!!

(LeeAnn Brooks) #2

I suggest NOT fasting at all until you are fat adapted. Especially if you are struggling with hunger. Don’t make this process harder on yourself.
Fat adaption can take 6-8 weeks and you hunger levels will go down during that time. Let it be a natural progression. You’ll be less likely to binge or make bad food choices out of hunger.

(Nathan Toben) #3

Just on day 8 here and can relate to the OP. There is already some distance between myself and the hunger that I know from a more carbohydrate-centric diet and though I am not physically as hungry, I am eating with my mind, not my stomach. Instead of skipping breakfast tomorrow, I think I will have 4 tbsp MCT oil and 4 eggs before work so to minimize the chance of having this pattern keep sneaking up on me during this coming stressful work week.

Hi.Want to tell about my hunger expiriens in IF.Firstable i try to take the breakfast as far as i can.I remember that i had very busy days then … And few days after , my first meal was at 12-13 o clock.So i realize there is no diferents betwen food cravings.The feel is always the same.Just moment of will and you can go on alas long as you wish.

(Jackie Hutchison) #5

Heart hunger—or emotional eating—is triggered by feelings of overwhelm and exhaustion. Check in with how you are feeling, call a friend, take a walk, drink water.
Head hunger happens to the scheduled eater and the clock is the trigger. Solutions are same as above. Changing habits take time- be compassionate. Make small changes over a large period of time.
Habit hunger is mindless eating where you have paired food consumption with a particular activity for so long it’s hard to separate them. Again, be compassionate and make small changes; plan ahead and keep yourself distracted during these transition periods.

We believe in you!