How to start Keto without getting bored or overwhelmed

(Dany Bolduc) #1

Who doesn’t love eggs and bacon.
I’ll tell you who: someone that’s been eating nothing but bacon and egg for three weeks straight.

I love eggs and bacon and I believe it is a staple of any Ketoer’s diet but let’s face it, a diet consisting of the same meal over and over gets boring really quick.

I firmly believe that the key to being successful on keto, at least for me, is cooking.
But cooking Keto can be intimidating at first. That is especially true if you’re not used to cooking or do not particularly like to cook .
That is why I believe everyone should have at least four or five go-to recipes that are quick and easy to prepare.
Being able to alternate between a few recipes that you know by heart makes a world of difference in how you experience Keto, especially early on.

These recipes for me are:

1 - Eggs, bacon and breakfast sausage (of course). I’ll usually prepare sausage and bacon 2 lbs at the time and let in the fridge until I need it.

2 - Ground beef and sauteed vegetables. I like my hamburger a little on the burnt side. I then add some butter, heavy cream, pepper and a bit of dijon mustard for quick and very tasty sauce. For vegetables I use spinach or broccoli sauteed in butter and that’s a five minute meal.

3 - Salad with egg salad.
I will fry 3 scrambled eggs in as much fat as they will hold (1tbsp bacon fat + 1 tbsp butter + 1 tbsp coconut oil) then let them cool bit and add a tablespoon or two of mayo. I add to a big bowl of mixed greens that’s been tossed with oil and balsamic vinegar then top it off with some Parmesan cheese and crumble bacon from the fridge and that’s another five minutes dish.

4 - last but not least comes to Fathead Pizza . I have it at least once a week. Not a 5-minute dish…but ohh so good.

Those were mine. Now what are your go-to five minute recipes?

(Maria) #2

For my really busy days:

1. Rotisserie chicken with bag of ceaser salad.
  2. Pizza Omelet (addd pepperoni, onion, peppers or whatever u like on pizza and top with mozzarella)
  3. Ham and cheese slices with humus, cream cheese or guac rolled up inside.

We do a lot of “burger bowls” and “taco bowls.” Browned hamburger meat seasoned well for the hamburger bowls and homemade taco seasoning for the taco meat. We build it over a big green salad most of the time, but occasionally we just forget the greens.

My go to meals in a pinch are:

Chicken or steak Cesar salads (minus the croutons of course)

Chicken or steak with zucchini noodles and homemade Alfredo sauce.

Fried eggs on bacon or Candadian bacon topped with cheese and guacamole.

Sticks of pepper jack cheese and hard salami or pepperoni make an easy lunch.

(Jeff Davis) #5

I’m somewhat fortunate in that I really don’t mind eating the same thing day in and day out. Often I will grill or pan fry five pounds of hamburgers on a Sunday and just eat off those for the entire week, supplementing with an egg or three. Keeping a bunch of taco meat in the fridge is a great idea too.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #6

Steak.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #7

Ok. I will elaborate. But it’s true sometimes I just eat a steak and I’m done with it.

1. Shiritaki noodles, a half cup of low carb pasta sauce (4 grams carbohydrate), and a half pound of browned ground beef stirred in.

2. Two crispy chicken thighs (hot or cold, I bake a dozen at a time), and a pile of broccoli, green beans or cauliflower with butter.

3. A 5 oz bag of fresh spinach sautéed in ghee and two pork chops.

4. Steamed eggs with a soft yolk or fried eggs, sunny side up (soft yolk), romaine salad with Caesar, blue cheese or ranch dressing

5. Tuna salad to which I’ve added solid white albacore tuna, mayonnaise, diced red and green bell pepper, diced onion and celery, black pepper and sometimes diced dill pickle.

6. steak.

(Arlene) #8

I agree with Brenda. Indulge on the best foods this way of eating offers. Somehow when we indulge on all the wonderful foods we CAN have, we don’t miss the junk we used to crave. Eventually that junk food really looks like what it is…JUNK. Steak is super simple. A slow-cook roast waiting in the cooker when you get home from work is a welcome aroma when you walk in the door, and you hardly did anything. As for boring, it hasn’t happened to me yet, but I’ve only been doing this for 5 months. Others have been doing it much longer, yet they don’t seem to get bored either. The whole “food as entertainment” idea is really a processed food issue that becomes obsolete once you get settled in. Real food is nourishment, period. But it can be, and is totally delicious and enjoyable.

…topped…

…with spicy mustard
…with dijon mustard
…with mayo
…with holendaise sauce
…with crumbled blue cheese
…with melted cheddar cheese
…with sauteed mushrooms
…with heavy cream sauce
…with cream cheesed spinach
…with fried egg (ok so you said eggs are boring)
…with bacon
…with (ton’s more)

Oh, and then there’s also pork, lamb, chicken, fish, fat head pizza, etc.

Of course a 72hour sous vide chuck roast is my by far favorite beef meal at the current moment.

Matter of fact our sous vide just did double duty, I put a corned beef brisket and two chuck roasts in Sunday eve at @135 and last night we had the corned beef and tonight we will have the chuck roast. Easy peasy!

(Siobhan) #11

saag paneer without the paneer (onion, spinach, spices and cream)

pancakes (literally five minutes)

lettuce wraps (two types of meat, two types of cheese, avocado, mayo, mustard)

basically any type of curry

any type of instant pot recipe (broth, soup, curry, chili, pot roast)

and if nothing sounds good… fast

(Dustin Cade) #12

you want to keep it simple yet exciting…

how my family and I accomplish this is eat good food every night… most of our meals are a meat and a veggie with lots of fat…
some pork jowl bacon and brussle sprouts, steak and caulirice, steak n onions w/eggs… some nights we just have a meat, may be some cheese… simple simple simple is key…
we do make things like Zorn waffles, or other keto creations I find online…just not every night…

(Siobhan) #13

Also something else is I’ll convert old recipes.
Lots are easy like pot roast or certain curries.
Flip through the old recipe book and see what sort of easy fixes you can find like swapping milk with cream, or subtracting potatoes.
You may be surprised what gems you find, eapecially if older recipes

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #14

You may be surprised what gems you find

LIKE EGG CUSTARD PERHAPS???
:smiling_imp:

I like roasting a chicken, or slow roast a large chunk of pork…and then I pull the meat apart and store in refrigerator.

From the refrigerator, a delicious quick meal is easy…like…pulled pork shoulder, with a side of coleslaw, sour cream and dijon mustard

(Skip Cody) #16

This is a great topic!

for the quick meal cauliflower rice with a protein a few veggies and curry powder. You can make this up in a single pan in 5 min.

When going to a party set yourself up with a bag of cheese chips. There is typically a dip that works but no vehicle to scoop it up.

You can do fast food you just need to be creative.

(Roxanne) #17

I try to make sure I have certain staples in my fridge - hard sausages/salami, olives, cheese, hard boiled eggs, blue cheese dressing, mayo, heavy cream, sour cream, cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower, spinach or lettuce - then it’s pretty easy to whip something up quickly. That said, here are some favorites.

Large pulled pork in instant pot, freeze portions for later use. Eat as is, or saute with taco spices and make lettuce wraps.

Cold plate with hard boiled eggs, olives, cheese, sausage

Tuna melt - canned tuna, mayo, cheese, baked or nuked until bubbly

Steak

Rotisserie chicken and bagged salad

BBQ’d burger patties with bacon and cheese sandwiched in the middle

Ground beef or pork sausage with butter fried cabbage combos (https://www.dietdoctor.com/low-carb/recipes?s=cabbage&st=recipe)

hot italian sausage with a salad

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #18

I LOVE curry. I need to learn to do this more often. Now? I stir a pre-mixed curry powder into cream and top chicken or cauli. I know there are so many variations I could try. Mixing my own spices would be divine!

Gosh, you made that meal look SO GOOD! Thank you for sharing! I’m trying to get motivated to make my meals more appealing (I’ve never really cooked before), so your photo is very helpful.

(Insert witty quote here) #20

I really love this topic! A 5-10 minute meal topic is what I’ve been looking for - or a top 5 meal plan! :slight_smile: