How to make (yes make) double cream in the US

cream
doublecream
bel

I have found something that has changed my life for the better ketonians. I have found a way, actually two ways, to make double cream here in the good ole USA. As you know, most American cream is about 36% butterfat while those in the UK have the privilege of a 48% butterfat cream. Unless you know a dairy farmer, you are not likely to find 48% cream around these parts. So, I stumbled onto a blog post on how to make it.

The first step is to get yourself a cream maker. I had never heard of this gadget but it appears they were popular around the WWII era due to the rationing of foodstuffs. The most popular manufacturer was Bel brand however these have not been in production since the 1950s or 1960s. So, they’re not easy to find. I was able to find one on Ebay through a UK seller. Of course, the shipping was as much as the cream maker, but it was about $30 US total.

Second step is to figure out your ratios of cream or milk to butter. I personally prefer the combination of 2oz 83% butterfat butter and 6oz of heavy cream. You can even use regular milk but would have to increase the amount of butter used accordingly. I heat these together in a saucepan (you could also use a microwave) until the butter is melted. I then pour this mixture into the top of my cream maker and go to work. You have to pump this thing by hand so it might take some time to get your finished product.

The alternative is to put the mixture in a high speed blender (I use a vitamix) and blend it for about a minute until it’s emulsified. This will create some foam but it will settle down by the time it’s chilled.

After I have my emulsification, I refrigerate until cold. The mixture will thicken as it cools. Why not just use the blender and skip the whole track down a cream maker step? Because the resulting mixture from the blender is noticeably thinner than what I get with the cream maker. I like it sinfully thick and I get a perverse pleasure out of working for my food.

Either way, the taste is amazing and definitely a cream game changer!

The white one is mostly plastic and was produced sometime in the 1980s by a mail order company, however I could not find any info about this company at present.

Here is a link to the blog post I stumbled across which changed my life:

Manufacturer's cream - where to buy?
Kerrygold - Salted vs Unsalted
Wanted to thank the dudes

Wow! Didn’t know about this…thank you for posting :grinning:

Calling All DIY-ers!
(Stickin' with mammoth) #3

Hahahaha! You dedicated kitchen types fascinate me. I mean, I can commit to a recipe if the result is a trough of food I can forage on in the fridge for days but the idea of standing over my counters each and every day, measuring, chopping, stirring, ladling, wiping, washing, and drying makes my teeth itch. Then, I need bacon.

I need to marry a keto chef who can give back rubs.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #4

How does your creamy nectar compare to clotted cream? Where are our UK representatives in here?

My understanding is that clotted cream is typically 55-64% butterfat while double cream is 48%. I’m not sure if the cream maker can handle that level of wonderfulcreaminess but I may try it.

Did someone say bacon? This chocolate covered bacon was another birthday gift to myself…

(Patty W) #7

I learned something new today…I applaud your industriousness!

(Stickin' with mammoth) #8

Your mission, should you choose to accept it…

(Luke Jeffery) #9

Clotted cream is made by reducing double cream on a stove top for about 6-8 hours. Not something I’ve ever bothered doing.

(Luke Jeffery) #10

Double cream and clotted cream are nothing like the same, in terms of consistency or taste. Clotted cream, basically, just has less water, so the lactose and fat are more concentrated and, therefore, thicker.

(Stickin' with mammoth) #11

[quote=“ljeffery2, post:10, topic:7045, full:true”]Clotted cream, basically, just has less water, so the lactose and fat are more concentrated and, therefore, thicker.
[/quote]

Okay, now say it slower…in a sexy voice…

way too much work but I’m curious as to how much butterfat one can emulsify into a milk base…before it’s just butter.

humor is so underrated

(brian) #14

I was looking this up last week and no luck, until now! Thank you!

I finally tried a version of clotted cream in the bel cream maker. It came out well emulsified and very thick. I mixed heavy cream and butter to produce 60% butterfat. I’m not sure what I’ll do with it since I’m on a fat fast this week but I imagine it would be amazing lightly sweetened and whipped…on berries.

(Meeping up the Science!) #16

I’m still contemplating getting one of these. I must experiment~

I just whipped up some with a bit of erythritol and spooned it on a few strawberries. The cream is much ricer and thicker than whipped cream. You could actually use this stuff as a frosting. So good but definitely a treat item for me.

(Clare) #18

Wow - have to say I’d just assumed that ‘heavy cream’ was the American term for double cream.
Are you guys telling me that you poor lambs DON’T have double cream over there?

I suppose telling you that we also get extra thick double cream, which is around 51% fat, would be cruel wouldn’t it? Sorry…:neutral_face:

Seriously though - this needs rectified. Everything is better with double cream. Can you guys not petition your supermarkets or something?

(James storie) #19

This due to the extreme fat phobia in America! Although I found a somewhat local grocery store that carries double cream in insanely small jars! I haven’t tried it yet.

(Clare) #20

Go for it. It’s lovely.