How to make keto "toasted bread"?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #1

For toasted bread, I mean (English is not my native language) that bread that is hard and brittle, unlike “normal” bread, which is ductile and soft.

The reason for this question is that now I am taking “products” in my low-calorie keto diet. Almost inadvertently, I am almost only buying a “product” which resembles a lot to toasted bread.

In fact, my wife yesterday told me “you really need bread [not necessarily wheat, she was talking about the “product”] on a long term basis”.

And I agreed with her. I think that being able to eat three pieces of bread, four times a day, is what is making this diet a success for me. My brain understands I am really satisfied, because I am almost exclusively eating bread (plus vegetables). And psychologically, I agree with my wife, it is very satisfying to eat bread on every meal.

Of course, one could think: I am a bread-addictive, so this is like a heroin-addicted asking if there is any other drug which he could substitute “forever” the heroin.

But I also think the analogy is not perfect, because this “product” has very little bread. In fact, I think it is mostly soy. So, at least from the macros point of view, the bread is keto. But for me, there is no difference in taste or appearance.

I think a part of the success is the bread is “toasted”, i.e. it is hard. I think a softer “bread” would result in me noticing that it is not real bread.

So, my question is: is there a recipe for a keto “toasted bread”?

By searching in the forum, I see there are many recipes for bread and pizza crusts: mostly almond flour, but sometimes even chicken, pork rinds and cauliflower, always combined with eggs, and very often with cheese.

Of course, I need to try them (when I stop eating products) but my first question is: is it possible to dry these keto breads, in order to make them similar to “toasted bread”?

Note: some time ago, I did quite a lot of dry fruits (long term in the oven, at low temperature, leaving the oven door slightly open in order to get rid of humidity). Could this technique be used here?

(bulkbiker) #2

Can you do that and remain in ketosis?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #3

Sure, because it is not real bread (i.e. wheat) but mostly protein. But the key is that it tastes like bread!

(bulkbiker) #4

So what is it exactly that you are eating?

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #5

I do not want to put brands or anything, because I am not publicizing a commercial product. In fact, I am trying to bypass that product, by being able to make the product myself (or a similar product). But it is basically something similar in aspect and taste to a toast, but done using mostly soy and protein.

(Susan) #6

If you already have something that you like and it is working for you; why not just continue using it then?

(bulkbiker) #7

OK fine… but “toast” is made by heating and “burning” regular bread… have you tried that with the product you are having. not that I’d want to have soy anyway but still if you want toast…

(Doing a Mediterranean Keto) #8

Yes, sometimes the easiest solution is the best: keep using what you are using, if it works.

But:

• It is mostly soy. Maybe I am wrong, but I have heard that soy consumption for men is not ideal
  • It has vegetable oil. I prefer olive oil
  • It is more expensive that doing it by myself. Not ridiculously so, but for the long term, this should matter
  • Doing it by myself would allow me to do different shapes and textures (bread, but also pizza crust, etc)

But yes, in the meantime and until I find a “bread” keto recipe I like, I will keep using this “bread”.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #9

See if this helps, search for cracker. It’s a crispy type of “bread” you may be able to experiment with.

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/search?q=keto%20cracker

My current bread replacements are Joseph’s Lavash Bread (a flatbread I use primarily for cheese bread and pizza squares, similar to a thin crust pizza) and Chaffles (cheese and egg waffles, which can be firm and crispy if you do the layers and not create a batter).

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

This isn’t made of soy flour, it is almond flour, you make it in the microwave or you can cook it in the over for 12-15 mins. You can use butter or olive oil, doesn’t matter which ever taste you prefer. After you microwave or bake it,slice it in half, and put it in a toaster oven. It is great for grill cheese sandwiches and anything else you would want to put between two pieces of bread.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

Soy is loaded with anti nutrients and phytoestrogens. We should not eat unfermented soy and even that should be in limited quantities. Phytates and tannins block mineral absorption through bonding, protease inhibitors reduce protein absorption, oligosaccharides and lectin are bad for gut health, phytoestrogens can cause a reduction in the hormone balance between testosterone and estrogen in men and cause weight gain, enlarged breasts and reduced sperm count. Oxalates bond with calcium blocking absorption. I think there may be more but that’s off the top of my head. You’re a scientist Arbre, lots of articles on the anti nutrients in soybeans. And soybean oil is inflammatory to your cells.

:cowboy_hat_face:

When I have the rare urge for bread I bake “nut bread”.

I mix 6 eggs, 1 dl og oil and about 500g of nuts and seeds. Bake in a loaf pan for about an hour.

It tastes amazing with blue cheese :yum: