How to keep my ketones level up to 3.0, also I haven't been able to lose more weight

(Javier Navas) #1

Any advise, any helpful tip??

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #2

First, keep in mind that ketones will fluctuate.
Second, why do you want them that high?
Third, what are your goals?

Let’s start with some basics:
How long have you been keto?
What are your current macros?
What do typical meals look like?
Do you exercise?

(Javier Navas) #3

Weight: 165,
How long have you been keto? 1 month going for more :slight_smile:
What are your current macros? i am trying 80, 15, 5
What do typical meals look like? meat, good fats avocados, fat bombs, some veggies
Do you exercise? yes

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #4

Also, what is your height?

Are you eating keto to lose weight or for other health reasons?
Assuming you are using a blood meter to check, what are your normal readings for ketones?

(Javier Navas) #5

sorry, i meant weight 165
height 5’11

• i was pre diabetic and high blood pressure,
    yes i use a blood check meter for ketones

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

You’re ketone levels are just fine, there’s no advantage to levels above 0.5 for weight loss. More ketones doesn’t equal more loss. If you need more ketones for mental clarity use coconut oil or MCT in your daily fats. Lower levels of ketones may just indicate that your body is producing them at a rate that’s close to your metabolic needs. I think you are going excellent as you are. You could eat more protein if that’s something you would like more of. Tight fat and protein ratios are unnecessary in many people’s opinion. There’s controversy over protein in the keto community. Personally at 162 lbs. and sixty years old I am consuming up to 160g. of protein a day and still dropping weight. It won’t have a significant effect on BG or insulin response so meat is a safe food for people with developing diabetes or diabetics. Just keep your carbs under 20g. per day and give this a read to simplify your keto experience.

(Bob M) #7

I don’t think you need to hit 0.5. At least the people in the Virta study were under that and lost weight. Also, as you are low carb longer, you might not get above 0.5 that much. I’m low carb/keto 5.5 years, and I’m below 0.5 (blood ketones) every morning, unless I fast multiple days (even 32 hours is less than 0.5).

If you’re new to keto, you should be able to get high ketones. But that doesn’t mean you need high ketones. In fact, I postulate that high ketones simply mean you have excess exogenous fat (from food) floating about.

I’ve tested over 150 grams of protein per MEAL (not day), and still have had zero sugar issues and been able to lose weight. See the following for instance:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #8

To answer your question: eat exogenous ketones. Probably won’t help much with the weight, but maybe it will. Before you run out to your nearest health food store read this: