Glucose Meter Readings

(Dave) #1

So I was told that you need to be in the range of 70-80 for glucose and 1.5-3.0 to be in Ketosis and be fat adapted. So what is the difference between fat adapted or being in ketosis the whole time.

My numbers would rarely get in the 70-80’s range but mainly would like to hang out around 85-94 Rane with a Keytone reading of 1.5 and greater. Although I was told on this Facebook group that I’m not fat adapted and perhaps not in Ketosis?

Also my glucose readings were always higher in the mornings with a few exceptions of being in the high 70’s.

Can anyone shed light on this, I feel that the keto community has different optimal ranges for what they think is correct?

Thanks in advance.

(Barbara Greenwood) #2

OK - “in ketosis” simply means your liver is producing ketones from partially metabolised fat. If you are more than 0.5 on your ketone meter, you are in ketosis. That will happen with about 48 hours of fasting or a few days of very low carb intake. It’s an ephemeral state - eat more carbs, you’ll make less ketones - eat less carbs, you’ll make more ketones.

Fat -adapted means that all the enzymes to do with fat metabolism have ramped up, so you are really good at burning fat. Also, your muscles become less keen to take up glucose because they want to leave it for the brain. Some people who low carb find their fasting glucose actually rises after a few months because of this effect.

As to glucose levels - do you have diabetes? A normal fasting glucose is between 70 and 110, with 70-90 being preferred. I’ve seen keto people saying that blood glucose above 110 will prevent you being in ketosis. Well, according to my meters, that’s a pile of poo, because I’ve seen 2+ on my ketone meter and 7 (126) on my glucose meter at the same time. But I have diabetes. Maybe in people without diabetes, a blood glucose above 110 only happens if they’ve eaten a load of carbs, and it’s that which prevents ketosis rather than their glucose level per se.

What enables ketosis is low carb intake. What prevents it is eating more carbs… and maybe too much protein. More on the difference here:

Also be aware that, once you are fully fat adapted, your ketone levels may well fall. Richard and Carl have covered this on the podcast - you become more efficient at making enough ketones for your needs, but not too many. I’d been keto about 3 months when I got my ketone meter - my readings were always over 1.5, usually over 2. Another 4 months on, I rarely get above 1 unless I fast for 24 hours - my usual 20-30g carbs per day and 16/8 or 18/6 IF usually has me between 0.3 and 1. Just tested now - after 12+ hour fast, a keto day yesterday and 1 hour run this morning - BG 6.7 (120), ketones 0.5. BG was 6.1 (110) when I got up - exercise can raise it in the short term, but reduces it long term.

(Dave) #3

Nope no diabetes on my end, I’m pretty active my events are bodybuilding and powerlifting, I have about 8% bf weighing around 155-160lbs, 39 years of age.

This is what I read in today fasted.
85 glucose and 3.3 Keytones this morning.

Wondering what is the norm for being in ketosis and also fat adapted. I think what I’ve heard is that you have to be in a sweet spot of 70-80 glucose and 1.5-3.0 Keytones in order to be fat adapted.

(Dave) #4

Also thank you for that article on the differences between being fat adapted and being in ketosis.

I am finding that I get a spike post workout as well and wondered if that was normal. You saying that this becomes less over time is a good sign, I was worried to keep that down post workout. Others in different groups were stating that you can’t exert yourself in the beginning.

Not sure I can NOT lifting heavy nor training optimally, lol.

(Barbara Greenwood) #5

Not to put too fine a point on it… the idea that you will only become fat adapted by keeping BG and ketones in those ranges is a pile of poo.

If you stay in nutritional ketosis (ketones 0.5-5.0) for long enough, you WILL become fat adapted. Higher ketones are not necessarily better - too many variables. You will know it’s happening when hunger and cravings recede - when you can go hours without eating and be absolutely fine.

I envy your blood glucose reading. It is perfectly normal. Your ketone level is absolutely fine. Have you listened to the dudes’ ketones episode? Ketone levels depends on many things - carb intake, of course, but also amount and type of activity, how long you’ve been keto, and there’s just some variation from person to person. I think Richard says he now struggles to get above 1.

Best thing IMO is to track it over time and see what happens.

Regarding the exercise - if you feel good, do it. If you feel fatigued, back off.

How to keep my ketones level up to 3.0, also I haven't been able to lose more weight
(Dave) #6

I’m loving your advice already Barbara.

For me and my experience with Keto I’ve been off and on again for several years as I used to use it for just cutting up for competitions. I got deeper into it whenever the fat being bad for yah was being debunked. Once I heard about all the benefits of mental clarity and just overall feeling great I was hooked on finding out more. I didn’t want to use just as tool for aesthetics anymore, I’m super fit in that aspect from the outside but I started thinking about more of what is in the inside. I was hearing great things about reviving type I and II diabetics and also the aging benefits, but I’m sure you know the list goes on and on!

I was thinking about those ranges and thinking the same thing, “pile of poo”. I’m super strict whenever it come down to measuring and timing and portion sizes since I’ve been trained to do so since I was 17, now almost 40, with the bodybuilding lifestyle.

I can 100% say that my mind, body and just the feeling of feeling amazing whenever I’m on Keto is amazing. My workouts are amazing, I have CRAZY amounts of energy to the point I have to stop myself on certain days or the house will be so anally cleaned, LOL! :smiley: Also the hunger, there’s NONE, by 6:30 everyday I’m just stuff with trying make my macros, which basically it’s more of a feeling point as well, don’t eat until you are hungry and stop if you aren’t hungry. Another benefit I have is that I can eat TONS more on Keto VS a low fat diet, I’m pretty sure the threshold for my body loves fats way more than carbs. I’ve done around 300g+ of fat and also the same with carbs and the feeling, swings, moods, energy is night and day between the two.

I actually started listening to the Two Dudes last year around October and loved their podcast, so much information and I also love their humor! :wink:

Fasted number this morning. :slight_smile:

(Barbara Greenwood) #7

Well it sounds to me as if you should stop worrying about the meter numbers and listen to your body!

I have more work to do on both blood glucose (well, insulin resistance, really) and weight. But I am also on this for the long haul. One thing we can be pretty sure of - if I go back to a carb-heavy diet, my health improvements will reverse. I don’t want that.

I’d like to have the freedom to eat a bit more carbs now and again, e.g. a wider variety of fruit (only berries currently), sweet potato now and again, legumes more than once in a blue moon. Maybe - later - I’ll have that freedom. But I would still stay keto pretty much all the time. There’s not much point eating in a way that makes you feel bad, is there?

Kind of like alcohol. In my late teens I did some serious drinking, to the point of being sick, 2-day hangovers etc. I soon concluded the enjoyment wasn’t worth it. Now I drink an occasional glass of red wine, enjoy it, and stop. I wanted to be able to do that with sugar… but it seems I’m a sugar addict, and there is no moderation for me. Maybe I can do it with fruit… it remains to be seen.

(Kathy L) #8

I don’t believe there is a range you have to be in to be fat adapted. In my understanding, fat adaption (same as keto adapted) basically means your body preferrs fat for energy rather than sugar/carbs. Fat can be easily accessed for energy in an adapted state. And you will feel the benefits of fat adaptation - energy -clarity -reduced cravings & reduced need to fuel as often as carb burners. Ketone readings of .5 or above shows u are in ketosis -you don’t HAVE to be between 1.5-3, and some people struggle to ever get that high. 70-100 range for BG is just that -a range. Everyone is different. Under 100 is just good - no need to overthink that.

(Kathy L) #9

So totally agree-we’ll put! WELL put -darn autocorrect!!

(Dave) #10

LOL, I think you’re right, as a competitor its always my nature to get the best results, hence the OCD on that meter once others were mentioning that “THESE ARE THE KEY NUMBERS” otherwise you aren’t in the club sort of deal.

It’s awesome isn’t it, the freedom of being able to enjoy these types of foods and recipes. I cheer your efforts in combating the alcohol and sugar, that’s awesome!

(Dave) #11

Awesome, I should of went with my gut feeling that this was correct as I began reading more about people’s different ranges. Maybe the FB group was geared towards a marketing scheme to get the coach more clients so they could “keto/fat adapt” and take us for a ride. Now that I think of it, it makes more sense that that may be the case.

hmm…

(Barbara Greenwood) #12

Ah - the alcohol was never really an issue, in that once I decided it wasn’t fun, I just stopped doing it to excess - I can take it or leave it.

With sugar… there’s a compulsive element to it, and none at all seems to be easier than a little now and then.

(Dave) #13

From the Stephanie Person Facebook Group

(Dave) #14

:slight_smile:

(b14ce7bb4624ef5d37af) #15

I just had a physical and my fasting glucose was 52 with ketones in urine. My doctor knew I have been on a ketogenic diet for about a year and she was fine with it. My thyroid function has improved. NY energy level is extremely high, awesome actually!!

(Sarah ) #16

Eat keto. Don’t test your blood sugar or your ketones. Spend your time energy and money or good food and other things that will actually help you. Let your body do its magic. If you’re a masochist, spend time on Facebook, but probably taking a nap would be more productive.

(Dodged A Bullet) #17

Skiman; you are far from being diabetic or pre-diabetic; obviously you’re very fit as you mention your just trying to get really cut. Morning blood glucose is good range. I’m an RN with critical care background and I wouldn’t take anything from all these non-medical people struggling with their own obesity problems are giving you! They’re just spitting back information from god knows where and lack any insight or knowledge from education or background of working with all this information. Consider the source and look at their background and own fitness level.

(Dodged A Bullet) #18

This guy is good…he knows his stuff and tells it like it is!

(Elba Rodriguez) #19

Hello Barbara thank you for sharing this information. I was getting concern also with my glucose levels at fasting too. I’m also diabetic, do you still take your diabetes meds? Thank you!

(Chris ) #20

Just jumping in here but GKI ratio suggests you are in autophagy and basically rebuilding at the mitochondrial level — which may suggest disease destroying since you are rebuilding quality big bad ass mitochondria. My info comes from lots of resources like Dr. Boz and Jason Fung. Namaste. I think you are killing it and living it!