How to get enough fat intake while limiting dairy consumption?

(Annzie) #1

I read some discussion about decreasing dairy and increasing fat instead. But most of my fat intake is tied to dairy. I make Fatbombs, but they all have cream cheese in them. I eat havarti cheese since it’s high in fat. I eat avocados everyday. But other than that, what are y’all eating? Pure coconut oil? I do have one favorite Fatbomb that is just chocolate, coconut oil and Stevia, but I limit those as dessert only. I worry that my slow down in weight loss is from too much protein. I am going through the BO stage again. But I just can’t figure out how to add more fat without dairy. But then again I only need to lose 10 more lbs. So maybe that is why I have stalled. I have lost 2+ inches all over so I am fairly happy with results so far.

(Troy) #3

Not sure
But if your question is non dairy fat options
You can try that, lots of recipes

Good Luck🙂

https://perfectketo.com/keto-fat-bombs/

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #4

Cook with olive oil. Butter, as avacado oil. Eat fatty meats like bacon and ribeye steak. Use olive oil I’m salads. Put butter on steamed veggies.

(John) #5

I re-titled the post and moved it to the right section, to make it clearer.

(Carl Keller) #6

Most of my fat comes from beef, chicken, pork, butter and coconut oil.

The problem with dairy for some people is that it can be very easy to eat way more cheese than you intend. The pieces seem to keep finding their way into your mouth when you only had planned to eat an ounce or so.

After fat adaption, eating a little less fat can inspire more weight loss since your body will pull fat from your body if there’s less of it available in your stomach. Reducing dairy at this point might lead to better results on the scale.

(John) #7

I get most of my fat content from:

• Cooking in olive oil, avocado oil and/or butter
  • Using melted butter as a flavor enhancer on steamed or boiled vegetables
  • Meat and eggs
  • Using full-fat salad dressings
  • Some dairy - including full-fat yogurt
  • Some nuts
  • Some 100% cacao chocolate

I don’t eat a LOT of nuts and dairy foods, but I do eat them.

I don’t try to go out of my way to add fats, I just don’t avoid them when cooking or choosing condiments.

(Annzie) #8

Thanks! That makes a lot of sense. I was worried that I wasn’t getting enough fat, but I think I am doing ok. My biggest problem is staying up late and getting hungry again. Then I eat another snack. I am trying to brush my teeth right after dinner to discourage that. They say it takes three weeks to instill a habit. Thanks again!

(John) #9

Yep - same challenge here. I tend to get in a more nibble-oriented mode in the evenings, where something triggers a desire to consume something. It is rarely true hunger, more of a mouth-craving-sensation thing.

Other than just willpower, which works sometimes, my other trick is to drink flavored (but not sweetened) beverages. Decaf coffee (black), herbal teas, water with some lemon or lime juice. That seems to give my mouth something to do and taste, without otherwise impacting food energy intake.

Another option, depending on your preferences, is some warmed broth. Doesn’t have to be bone broth - just plain old chicken or beef broth, warmed in a mug in the microwave. Very few calories, helps with both liquid and sodium intake, and seems like real food because it is both warm and has a meaty/savory flavor.

(Robert C) #10

Not sure if this might be a side issue for you but, sleep research seems to indicate that a diet (just about any diet other than fasting) will be ineffective with too little quality sleep.

(Natasha) #11

Evening/night snacking is a challenge for me too. I have been making myself a cup of peppermint and licorice tea and it really helps!

(Annzie) #12

Broth makes sense! I never thought of that. I drink hot Cinnamon tea that has so much cinnamon in it that it tastes sweet. But like you said, sometimes it’s just a mouth sensation thing. I think brushing and flossing earlier will help. My husband has been doing that for years and it works for him.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

If you must snack, make it a high-fat snack, such as bacon (which you can pre-cook and keep in the fridge). And then be sure to eat more at the next meal so that you don’t get hungry between meals.

Be careful of the artificial sweetener in the toothpaste. Some people get insulin spikes from certain artificial sweeteners.