How to explain to people that just won't listen?

(Keto in Katy) #21

Excellent!

(Mike Glasbrener) #22

There’s no need at all to convince her. I understand she may be concerned and applying her “common sense”. Once you realize she isn’t listening nor will take the time to investigate you way of eating redirect the conversation. You could ask her to respect your decisions if you want. Ultimately if people don’t understand it’s their problem not yours so KCKO.

I’m fortunate in that I’ve seen enough benefits from living this way, ~75lbs down this year, that I really couldn’t care what other people think in sooo many ways. My coworkers know Mon and Fri are fasting days and will verify this before going to lunch. Tues. through Thurs. we go to keto friendly places. This has taken some time for them to adjust. When family makes keto nonfriendly things I “do my own thing”. I’ve picked up pizzas for them while fasting, gone out to dinner with them while fasting etc…

Bottom line IMO if people ask a short explanation, if they’re curious explain more. If they’re friends they’ll respect your decision if not there are many ways to handle it.

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

Perfect response. But it was kind of your friend to consider that you might not want temptation around.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #24

How do you NOT tell your family/friends who are obese, and/or had cancer, and/or are T2D, and/or have epilepsy? I’ve been struggling with this recently whilst on a visit back home. Don’t you feel an obligation to tell them about this lifestyle? And then, if/when you do, don’t you feel like a member of some kind of cult?

(Funnily enough, my doc wants me to do some medical tests which have required me to be on a “high carb” diet for a week, which for me is just adding a bit of rice, pumpkin, maybe a bit of whiskey, and having some cappuccinos during the day. I’m HATING it, but at least this week I feel less obligated to keto-evangelize! :slight_smile:)

(Keto in Katy) #25

There was an old man who who was happy all the time. Someone asked him his secret for sustained happiness.

Q: So how do you it, staying so happy?

Old man: I always agree with people, never arguing.

Q: Wait a minute. You can’t tell me that’s all it takes, just agreeing all the time. It can’t possibly be that easy.

Old man: Well you’re probably right.

(VLC.MD) #26

Can’t imagine why !
Good luck !!

This is the problem for me. Most of my friends are middle aged and some have severe health problems. It is so frustrating. One is in remission from cancer, one has high blood pressure, one is obese, and then I have a TOFI friend who is dying of diabetes and while she may be too far gone, she may not be. I have told her about this but she is in and out of the hospital now (dialysis, loss of limbs, infections, hypoglycemic drops and every scary thing you have heard about and in her mid 50s). Her endocrinologist, she likes him because he tells her to adjust her insulin to what she eats, he is a nice guy but he is killing her with conventional medicine. Her BMI is about 20 so she thinks of keto as a solution for fat diabetics, not for her. I want to help her but until she hears this from a real doctor who can put in a CGM, she will not listen to me with my 50 lbs to lose

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #28

Alcoholics have to learn to deal with this, so you can rely on them both to understand and to be prepared to avoid doing anything that might trigger your addictive behaviour. After all, we often needed that kind of consideration in early sobriety ourselves; it would be hypocritical not to extend it to others.

I have learned over the years what kinds of situations are likely to be okay, and what kinds will be problematical. I also learned how to get the hell out of there when I need to, and not to worry about others’ reactions. After all, it’s my life and health at stake, not theirs.

I recommend becoming a totally out-spoken keto-NAZI toward such people!

Just kidding. I’ve found that most folks who witness a passionate and technically knowledgeable rant or two on the subject will end up doing independent research.

( isn’t that the effect that the 2 keto dude’s podcasts had on all of us?)

The way I prefer to do it is passively. For example, when I get wings at a bar to-go, I’ll throw out the line that these wings are part of what’s made me lose 50lbs this past year to the bartender. Other people catch it and the discussion ensues. Most people want more information and they just give me their email and I send them the info.

Wish I had business cards like @carl

(Darlene Horsley) #31

Indeed. She is a very kind and thoughtful friend. Luckeeeee me. :smile:

(Darlene Horsley) #32

Truth! My son is also recovered and he is a huge support!

(Kevin Wrigglesworth) #33

Actions speak louder than words. Just show them results!

(Ernest) #34

Why bother explaining? You’ll just end up agitated.

(carl) #35

http://vistaprint.com

(Brian) #36

There’s a saying that goes around here once in a while.

“I hear ya talkin’ but ain’t nobody listenin’.”

That’s about all it amounts to when someone won’t listen. It’s the ol’ Charlie Brown school teacher… “wahh waaah, wah wahh waah, wahhhaa, wah, wah. waah…”

(Mother of Puppies ) #37

Same here. I’m watching four generations go down the same hellish path. These are people I want with me for as long as possible. Extremely sad.