"How Sweet It Ain't" .... but so darn gooood ;-)

(Joey) #1

Don’t know if anyone has posted something like this already. If so, sorry - don’t mean to step on your toes. But I tried this today and LOVED it.

CAUTION: If you need sweeteners to enjoy an occasional treat you can stop reading now. This simple recipe is NOT sweet (although I guess you can fix this if you insist).

But if you enjoy the sublime taste of true dark chocolate (cacao) and love the texture and feel of chilled solid coconut oil on your tongue … and perhaps are looking for a sumptuous treat to have alongside a rounded glass of fine red wine after dinner, read on:

INGREDIENTS:
Coconut oil
Hershey’s 100% Cacao Powder
[OPTIONAL: Pecans, or almonds, or walnuts]

I take about 2:1 ratio of tablespoons of coconut oil (scooped out solid) to cacao powder.

First, put several tablespoons of coconut oil by itself in a small glass bowl the microwave at close to your lowest setting for 30-60 seconds tops (watch carefully!) just enough to liquefy most of it. Stirring it all around with a spoon will get the rest of it to melt right along, given the warmth of the portion that’s already liquefied.

When the coconut oil is all liquid, then simply mix in half as many tablespoons of the cacao powder and swirl around with the spoon until you get a smooth dark chocolate syrup-looking concoction. You’re almost done…

At this point, you can pour this mix into anything you want. I used a cheap plastic watercolor palette with lots of little rounded half-sphere compartments. (Could probably also use mini-ice cube tray, or some such confection mold). If using nuts, place a single pecan or almond in each compartment first, and then spoon in about a teaspoon ot the cacao/coconut mix to fill each space.

Pop them in the refrigerator and in about 1/2 hour you can flip the tray and gather the individual pieces in a small container for storage back in the fridge.

Depending on the size of your compartments, 4 little pieces (with a pecan inside) has roughly the following macros:
NET CARBS: 1g
FAT: 17g
PROTEIN: 1g

In other words, it’s basically pure dark chocolate flavored fat.

Of course, if you have a severe sweet tooth, you could add some artificial sweetener. Personally, I don’t care for such stuff - the super rich dark chocolate flavor combined with that transcendent coconut oil taste/feel, plus a pecan, goes amazingly well with a sip of red wine … I’m in heaven.

Hope someone out there enjoys this simple idea.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #2

I used to make this all of the time. I liked keeping it in the freezer and the cool mouth feel of the coconut oil melting on my tongue. Thanks for sharing!

(Joey) #3

oooh … will have to try this idea before the heat of August fades. Thx!