How Penn Jillette Lost over 100 Lbs and Still Eats Whatever He Wants

science

(hottie turned hag) #21

I know nothing about his method except THIS^^^ kinda indicates he will fail to sustain; sounds like a case of Biggest Loser style.

(less is more, more or less) #22

I add that it suggests that “eat whatever he wants” is hyperbole-too-far, to the point of, well, lying?

(Bunny) #23

When you look at the picture of Penn he has both legs in one pant leg with enough gap space to do a small dance; that is dam near a miracle in and of itself, that tells me what he did is similar to Dr. Fung’s take on limiting protein intake and fasting where the skin is catabolized evenly with the loss of body fat, if he had of tried this any other way he would have been looking at bariatric grade surgery with a lot of loose skin hanging of his bones. So if you want to tighten up the birthday suit, cut the protein down, cycle it or cut it out completely on a temporary basis until you reach your body shaping goal not just burning body fat, quite a few people can’t figure why they got all this loose skin after going keto?

I like the idea of combining seasonal ways of eating which some people on the forum and else where do this also?

This is so fascinating to me!

(Murphy Kismet) #24

Denise Longer also has an article in which she states that we can be either high fat OR high carb. But we cannot be in the.middle, doing “moderation” eating.

(hottie turned hag) #25

OK this may account for my two oddball examples above. Neither of the two (VERY different diets but both very high carb) eat much fat at all; my daughter prob only what’s used to saute/cook with and Mutant Pal, none added at all as he NEVER, ever cooks, hates restaurants and eats only from packages. He does eat large amts of chocolate though. Interesting as heck.

(Murphy Kismet) #26

Her articles are mad.long, but she details Every Thing. She talks about groups of tribal people’s who live on very high carb diets and how it works for them. And she contrasts them with other groups, ie: traditional Inuit, who eat very high fat diets. Both groups are super healthy.

It intrigued me as I once did a very low fat diet a la Susan Powter for maybe a year. Lost maybe 10 lbs :disappointed:

This is really interesting, when I went Vegan (pre-Keto), I had a brief period of quick weight loss, however as soon as I started adding coconut oils and tahini and other “healthy fats”, the weight loss stopped completely and I was only consuming 600-800 calories a day tops. Regarding my personal experience, I could see that it really is high carb + super low fat that can work for some OR high fat + super low carb for others.

And I wonder if he actually repaired metabolic damage with his diet. He obviously lost a lot of weight, likely because he is the sort of person that responds to meeting a challenge and competition. He did that with a low-fat, low-protein diet, which isn’t known for repairing metabolic damage, even when you lose a lot of weight doing it. That type of diet is also known for slowing the metabolism.

That’s the green circle graphic? I’m not sure how it might be very low carb/ketogenic. It’s almost exclusively carbs: Somewhere around 65% of the food is vegetables, beans, fruit, and grains. About 25% is seeds and nuts, which have some protein and fat, but also carbs. Only about 10% is healthy protein and fat.

I considered doing it as an experiment but I fear by lack of bile regulation (since I dont have a gallbladder) might screw up some of the mechanism. But yeah, resistant starch is minimal even after repeated heating and cooling. Potato without butter or sour cream is just ewww.

(CharleyD) #30

@CFLBob Thanks for that, and for Denise’s site. I heard of her when looking up some rebuttals to the Forks Over Knives agitprop. Now I can give her proper respect and read the rest of her CV :sunglasses:

(PJ) #31

I realized that not only am I not good at moderation, I also don’t respect moderation. Anyone I know who’s able to do moderation I don’t like them.

That made me laugh and laugh. I might not be so brutal about it, but that’s pretty much my sitch too.

(Bunny) #32

I not sure if a low fat, low protein diet (…if it could even be considered that at all?) higher in whole food carbs (not junk food) and eating window variability (time) could be considered ‘slowing down your metabolism’ and by far it is quite the opposite on a short term scale (vs. caloric restriction)? I would like to see some evidence supporting such a conclusion? Why Dr. Fung does not measure ketones in his patients constantly because it does not matter and does not mean your burning body fat?

And just because you would choose to follow such a method does not mean you cannot still achieve ketosis? (I myself have done it; even with eating bread/grains because my health reserve is too resistant to it and that is because my primary source of nutrition is protein and fat not carbohydrates, problem is, you can eat too much of it (not talking about junk food), too often and not achieve a Ketogenic state and in any case you can be more liberal with protein and fats after restricting the carbs and feel more satiated from one meal to the next?

Depends on if you have more body fat padding the body habitus then lean muscle mass? Excluding junk food which I would also factor in grains as junk food into the equation?

(Troy) #33

Sitting here watching Penn And Teller: Fooled Us
Then came across this thread😳
Entertaining show
Scary coincidence!!
Hum…that Magic or an illusion :thinking:
Haha

(Full Metal KETO AF) #34

Potatosis is “too restrictive” and “unsustainable”. Give me :cut_of_meat:!

People think not eating carbs (keto) is too restrictive and unsustainable, what do you think would go through their minds if you told them you only eat boiled potatoes with salt? :joy: It would be cheap though, could you eat more than 1.5-2 lbs of potatoes a day? :cowboy_hat_face:

Love that show! Perhaps his weight loss is also an illusion. It’s those slimming striped suits he wears. :wink:

(hottie turned hag) #36

Made me think of a brilliant film, The Turin Horse, directed by genius Bela Tarr, wherein the two characters (Hungarian peasants) do indeed eat only that, meal after dreary meal.
atoriniltheturinhorse20

(Wendy) #37

Okay reading this discussion brings to mind a documentary I watched a few years ago. I think it was called A Dollar a Day or something like that, probably was in Netflix. Anyways these young highschool or recent grads went to some country where the people usually only could earn a dollar wages per day and they wanted to see what life would be like.
They were only able to eat rice and were starving to death. They got thin and so very weak.
They befriended a local man who taught them they had to add lard to survive. They then started to get their strength back. It was really quite fascinating and I watched it way before I had learned about keto. Anyone else watch this?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #38

@Happyheart No Wendy, but I am going to look for it. :cowboy_hat_face:

Well low-fat, low-protein diets have been shown to slow the metabolism; see The Biggest Loser study. Obviously, like any diet that results in weight loss, it must be calorie restrictive. He may not have “counted calories” (in the same way lots of people on keto don’t), but if you’re losing weight, you’re taking in less than you need to sustain yourself at your current weight. So, his diet wasn’t “vs. caloric restriction,” just like keto isn’t. Keto is a way of achieving that, which might be easier, more sustainable, or have other benefits. I don’t see that from low-fat, low-protein. The only thing that’s been proven to be protective of BMR during weight loss is fasting. Though there is evidence that time-restricted eating offers additional benefits, I don’t believe it has been studied to prove that it is protective of slowing BMR either in the context of a very low carb diet (“keto”) or in the context of a low-fat diet or anything else.

It’s possible I’m reading that green graphic wrong, but from my best estimate it it is anything from 65–90% carbohydrates. I’m truly shocked to hear that anyone could reach a ketogenic state eating that many carbs. People are generally advised to cut down to about 5% (usually a flat number of 20g, but lots of people get into ketosis under 50g). If people can reach ketosis eating 65% or 90% carbs, I’m sure people would love to understand how we can all start eating potatoes, beans, peanut butter, carrots, grains, and oatmeal again, as the graph suggests.

Are you saying you ate a diet that was 65–90% carbs and got into ketosis?

(Bunny) #40

Please explain (references)? What is low fat (no fat?) and low protein in contrast to what? (lean body tissue weight and adipose density?) What does high or low really mean and for who? Does that include highly refined food?

That was not a study, it was just a bunch of hoopla or a bunch of silly people eating one way then going back to the way they were eating before to gain all the weight loss back again or more weight on top of that from what I understand and who is “he” or “his?” I have no idea to whom your referring to and never seen that show your mentioning?

Caloric restriction: How do you know when you are taking in less than you need to sustain yourself for your individual BMR/RMR? e.g. how much? and when? Please give more info on this because I want to know this too?

Any diet that is caloric restrictive for someone who has more body fat than lean muscle tissue will definitely suffer from metabolic slow down on a short-term or long-term basis until their individual metabolic set point decides to shift.