How often do you change the Keto Mojo LANCET?

(Bansaw) #1

Do you clean the lancet after every stab, or do they last a long time without any maintenance?

(Little Miss Scare-All) #2

I use mine hella times, but also clean it with alcohol. 10 can last me weeks and weeks.

Never, when it bounces off your skin replace it.

(Karen) #4

When I worked with diabetics some changed it with every poke. Those were usually new diabetics. Later they would just change it once a week. But I love what they said above… When it bounces off your skin. Ha ha Ha ha ha

(Charlotte) #5

I replace my lancets when it gets dull. I usually get about 20-30 pokes out of each one. I don’t “clean” my lancets.

(Wendy) #6

Please use new Lancets every time. Have a good friend that her brother in law used the same 1 for a long time. He ended up with a blood Infection. Sepsis, Was in hospital for 6 months declined rapidly till he passed away 2 months ago. In his cupboard he had 3 boxes of new Lancets. Never opened. He was a strong person, rode his bike 20 miles a day, would walk to and from the store. Was amazing how quickly he declined. Sad…
Theyr cheap! And your life is worth it!

I would think that was more likely from not cleaning the skin rather than from not changing the lancet. These things don’t poke into larger veins but just make it through the skin. What happens when we fall and scrape a knee is a million times worse. Still . . . I would not use someone else’s lancet.

(Not a cow) #8

I wondered this too @Bansaw. My pharmacist told me to change every time due to possible infections or needle splinters ? I change mine every day, for sure, but will occasionally get lazy and use the same one for another poke during the same day. Some days I use 3 new ones, when I get anxious about splintering.

(Carolyn aka stokies) #9

You all do realize our skin is covered with bacteria, viruses and all around variety of baddies, yes? That is why it it recommended new ones every time. I get it though. How many times have I stabbed myself sewing? Hahaha. Cleanliness is key. And sharpness. Be safe!

(Bansaw) #10

thanks all for responding…
I found on Amazon some really affordable lancets that purport to fit the Keto Mojo.
Only $5 for 300.

(Wendy) #11

If you have a Walmart available in your area, they’re like 2$ a box!

(Bob M) #12

I used new lancet each time, unless I had the strips in and did not get enough blood, but this was rare.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #13

Hence it is a good idea to wash your hands first. Soap and water, and scrub for the time it takes to sing “Happy Birthday to You” fairly slowly.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #14

It amazes me that anyone would draw blood with a used needle. Your health and your life are worth more than the savings you get out of reusing those needles.

(Wendy) #15

Yes my thoughts exactly!

(Bob M) #16

By the way, while I like the function of the KM lancet, I don’t use it. The needles aren’t large enough for me. Instead, I use Free Style lancets. I find these easier to use and throw away. Also, on the KM website, they show a person hitting the side of their finger. That does not produce enough blood for me. Often, I have to hit the “print side” of the finger, and even more often, especially if I’m fasting, I have to hit the bigger fingers.

A bigger factor to me than lancet cost is the inconvenience of disposal (and why I reuse). How are people disposing of used lancets?

(Wendy) #18

The 1 use ,has the blue round end you break off. When you are done you poke the sharp end into the round end. No sharp,pointy things exposed for anyone to get hurt.
Then it is tossed into the trash.

Thank you, that is very good to know! I am new to testing and was envisioning having to keep purchasing sharps boxes and drive them somewhere that accepts them.

Are the ones you posted compatible with the Keto Mojo by chance?

(Wendy) #20

Yes! You dont have to incert the Lancet. Just poke your finger to get a sample. I have a Keto Mojo, and you have to buy their test strips. I get them on Amazon. Theyr alittle spendy. $50 for 50
So a dollar a test. That’s why when I read people were testing up to 5 x a day I was like wow! That’s a $5 bill.