How often do you change the Keto Mojo LANCET?

Thanks so much for another great tip (manually using the lancet). And yeah, I’m only testing occasionally mostly to see how different foods affect me. I can’t imagine paying to do it multiple times per day.

(Wendy) #22

Yeah I dont like to poke myself. When my Bloodsugar was messed up i had to do it about 4x a day😬 thank goodness Keto has leved it out.

(Wendy) #23

This is how I dispose of the Lancet. Then it goes in the trash.

(Not a cow) #24

I think most pharmacies provide a free plastic container for you to put your used lancets or needles in and when that is full you just take it back to them for disposal/recycling. I keep mine in the bathroom under the sink and out of the way. It has a trick top so you don’t stick yourself while putting them in.

(bulkbiker) #25

And why we have this strange thing called an immune system to protect us from all that…

I change lancets every few months when I remember… still have most of the original 300 I bought 4 years ago.

(Robert C) #26

What are we talking about here folks? A latte vs. a year of using new lancets?

When calculating risk you do not just take into account the negative incident rate.
You also use the activity’s potential consequence.
So, even at 1 in 1,000,000 - it might still not be a good way to save.

(Joey) #27

For about $0.02 combined cost: you use one alcohol swab and one fresh lancet EACH time you test.

That’s about $7 annually.

Not taking proper medical precautions is beyond being cheap … it’s being just plain reckless with your body … the same body you’re trying to take such good care of that you’re willing to change your entire way of eating every day for the rest of your life? But you won’t spend a couple of pennies to protect against the very real risk of tissue/blood infection? Makes no sense.

If you break your skin and draw blood with a lancet, you are introducing a foreign device into your circulatory system. PLEASE don’t be foolish about inviting germs and viruses into your precious bloodstream. For $0.02, you’re going to reuse a lancet and/or not properly prepare the blood draw site?

I am arguing that you deserve better than that :slight_smile:

(Robert C) #28

I think the fallacy here is that people start to think that if nothing bad has happened yet - it will be okay going forward.

A pretty good way to remove yourself from the gene pool right now is to text and drive.

But - some people go with that same fallacy and believe that since it hasn’t caused a problem yet - they’ll be fine.

Not sure why anyone would fool around with something that can end them.

(Joey) #29

I’m with you completely (… and I’ve offered my $0.02 just above) :wink:

(Robert C) #30

Interestingly, it is a felony in Michigan (since 2010 - for medical professionals) and so malpractice insurance will not cover it.

(PJ) #31

If I’m taking blood for multiple drops in one sitting, I use one lancet for them all. But if there’s going to be more than a few minutes between, I toss it and use another. I have considered cleaning it with alcohol and reuse, but a/ they are not a big expense for many of them, and b/ it freakin hurts enough already and I don’t feel like dulling them is going to be helping me at all.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #32

They should probably go into a sharps container. Lots of them have the little round thing, but I still put them in a sharps box, just to be safe.

(Wendy) #33

Great idea!

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #34

The sharps containers are fairly cheap. You should be able to get them at a drug store/pharmacy

That’s in case someone either handles the trash or steals them out of the trash. People don’t handle trash where I live. A machine picks it up and takes it to a landfill and another machine bulldozes it into the ground. I dont let homeless people dig in my trash either, I put it out just as I hear the “machine” :slight_smile: coming down the street . . .