How much vegetables should I be eating?

(eat more) #45

ok…that’s enough gas lighting (look it up)

you do not know me, you do not speak for me.
i’m having an amazing day and not once have i been “emotional”

YOU are the only person that thinks i’m having a bad day but i guarantee i am not the only person that thinks you’re rude AF

slow your roll or kick rocks

yeah real polite. please find someone else to vent on next time. My patience will only last so long.

anyways… good luck on your path.

(Tsering M) #47

I love Kale🙂

But there is no Kale in Nepal where I moved back to.

(Tsering M) #48

Interesting!

(Tsering M) #49

Very interesting!

(Tsering M) #50

Dr. Berg here says (he is talking about losing belly fat & not specifically keto) that when you are flushing fat out of the body, you need to eat about 7 cups of vege everyday, otherwise you risk having fatty liver, since the liver has to process the fat.

Ah…no. One is not required to eat 7 cups vegetables daily to avoid fatty liver disease.

Not logical.

Someone can actually develop fatty liver disease by just eating a high carb diet with no or low fat.

(Tsering M) #52

Eating our veg/carb allotment at dinner will also help us sleep - has to do with serotonin, I believe.

What? Serotonin from eating vegetables? Sleeping better because of eating vegetables? I never heard of this. Where did you read that info?

Why is that required? How would that help?

(Tsering M) #56

(Tsering M) #57

I have read & heard on podcasts (For eg., Tim Ferriss) say that they don’t sleep well while doing keto.

Since I have serious sleep issues, I wondered if I should eat all my vegetables (all my carb - since I don’t eat dairy or nuts) with dinner.

Apparently that is a myth, as it was assumed Kale had similar oxilate amounts as spinach. It doesn’t. You can eat kale raw.

https://www.google.com.au/search?sclient=psy-ab&q=oxalates%20in%20kale%20overstated&=&=&oq=&gs_l=&pbx=1

(Tsering M) #59

What does 20 grams (net) of carb in vegetables look like - is it possible to have visual examples?

(Roxanne) #60

Does this help? Note the carbs are per 100 grams of that vegetable, not per whole vegetable (e.g., for 100 grams of cabbage, not the entire cabbage). Diet Doctor has similar visual guides for nuts, fruits, etc.

That’s bizarre. I sleep incredibly well in keto. And extremely we’ll on ZC.

And, carbohydrates disturb my sleep. With the added complication of causing foggy brain when I wake up.

Can you send me the link to the paper. I’d like to read it entirely and check its resources.

Can you describe what your sleep issues are? This will help us help you.

Are you in pain (legs hurting, back hurting, cramping muscles etc)?
Do you lie awake and cannot fall asleep?
Do you wake up several times, for nothing, or to do something like go to bathroom?
Does your head feel like it is spinning, or aching?
How do you feel in the morning…cannot wake up and get out of bed, or other issues?

This info will help us try to understand.

@Arumaya,

I’m a bit confused. There are two completely separate issues you are bringing up with eating vegetables. In the first one, you describe the necessity of eating seven cups of vegetables per day to avoid liver disease, and you provide a video of Dr Berg stating this opinion:

And later on, you state that eating vegetables are necessary for sleep, as per Tim Ferris, and paste an image of some script (without a link).

So, are you genuinely asking questions for both liver problems and sleep problems? or are you trying to promote the eating of vegetables, with the claim that eating carbs and vegetables will save us from liver disease and sleep problems?

I’m not saying that we need to eat any vegetables, nor that vegetables are required to feed intestinal bacteria that create most of the serotonin in our bodies, I’m just pointing out a mechanism where some people may have an impaired microbiome such that eating vegetables will help to stabilize serotonin which is a precursor to melatonin which is our natural sleep initiator.

I believe it is entirely possible that someone can practice Zero Carb (ZC), ie. zero plants, and function well, but I’ll speculate that whether or not ZC works for someone is largely in part due to the makeup of their microbiome at the time they attempt ZC. I believe that given sufficient time, the microbiome will adapt to ZC and any issues will eventually resolve, but I can’t say for sure that ZC really only works for people that are otherwise predisposed to it.

Serotonin is itself an important neurotransmitter, but is also converted into N-acetylserotonin by serotonin N-acetyltransferase and acetyl-CoA. Hydroxyindole O-methyltransferase and S-adenosyl methionine convert N-acetylserotonin into melatonin through methylation of the hydroxyl group.

(Jennifer) #65

I think this is going to be an n=1 thing and everyone is different. I am finding that I don’t need as much sleep on keto/fasting. I go to bed at the same time, but I’m having problems falling asleep (not tired). I take melatonin if I lay there too long.

But my energy level and mental clarity are off the charts. I am beginning to think I do not need as much sleep or I would be tired and cranky all day, craving naps. And for me, that is a HUGE change. I love me some naps… lol…