How much fat? What about for losing weight?

fat
science
weightloss

(Tim) #63

Never heard that caffeine raises blood sugar. Do you know of any articles or research papers that support this I could look at?

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #64

I just stop wanting to eat. The first time it happened I had bought two salmon steaks for lunch. Given my appetite on carbs, it seemed an appropriate amount. I had just finished the first steak and was about to dig into the second, when I realized suddenly that it wasnā€™t going to happen. I felt fine, but just not hungry. It was weird.

Iā€™ve come to recognize the sensation of almost feeling nauseated when I think about food. Itā€™s not nausea, but thatā€™s as close as I can come to describing the sensation. Itā€™s not just a lack of interest in eating, but an active feeling that I really donā€™t want to put anything in my mouth.

(Carpe salata!) #65

Yes I can relate to that feeling. I enjoy it!

(bulkbiker) #66

I suggest you measure your blood sugarā€¦ drink a coffee and measure your blood sugar after 60 and 120 minutes and see what happens?..

(Brian) #67

Is there a mechanism in our human organism that will take excess fat that weā€™ve eaten and basically just pass it on through undigested when there gets to be enough that the body really just has not use for whatā€™s been ingested? Iā€™ve wondered if that isnā€™t how some of the fat is dealt with when we eat an extra 3,000 or 4,000 or more calories of fat.

It may be fantasyland thinking, but I wondered.

(Adam Kirby) #68

Actually there is, Ben Bikman has talked about this. Brown fat or white fat operating as brown fat has the ability to waste excess energy as heat. Breathing/urinating out ketones is also wasting of energy.

(Richard Morris) #69

We also run our body temperature higher to increase the effectiveness of our immune response. For example when you have an infection, you run a fever.

Normally a healthy body tolerates a certain amount of low grade infection, because that can take a lot of energy and weā€™re usually good at being frugal with energy. But when excess energy is used to raise the body temperature, part of the reason could be just to ramp up your immune response and take out all the small low grade infections.

It might be that these futile cycles in brown adipose tissue that heat up the blood are not so futile after all.

(Ellen) #70

Yep, been munching on cheese then realised mid bite I was full.

(Bunny) #71

You have the concept right!

Although adjusting fat and protein intake is important to ā€œfinding your sweet spotā€

How much excercise do you get?

I found this interesting:

ā€œā€¦The headline result, presented in a poster by Patrick Davitt, is rates of fat oxidation, testing the claim that adapting to a high-fat diet will teach your body to burn fat at much higher rates than typically observed. Sure enough, during a progressive treadmill test to exhaustion, the high-fat group was able to burn fat at a rate of 1.54 grams per minute, about 50 percent higher than the high end of normal, compared to a maximum rate of 0.67 grams per minute in the high-carb group. The high-fat group also reached their maximal rate of fat burning at a higher relative intensity (70.25 percent of VO2 max) than the high-carb group (54.89 percent of VO2 max), which means theyā€™re able to run faster while still burning fat at a high rate. ā€¦ā€ https://www.runnersworld.com/sweat-science/adapting-to-burn-fat-as-fuel

(Ld Wyze) #72

I know this is old and Iā€™m not trying to stir up any new unnecessary drama or negative emotions but two things:

1 - I really feel Sascha was on to something. I feel the information was accurate and we all know there are so many ways to accomplish the same thing in this keto world. I have have had success in losing weight by cutting fat intake a bit enough to make my body go after the stored fat more efficiently. It works and it makes sense and Sascha did not make it up. I have researched it and found that method in many places online. So I donā€™t feel Sascha deserved to be challenged that strongly about it or ganged up on. Just my opinion.

2 - As I was reading through several forums/posts here on this site I was excited to see the wealth of information posted here and felt a sense of community here that made me comfortable and had me strongly considering joining and participatingā€¦ UNTILā€¦ I saw this thread and saw an Admin (Brenda) threaten to use Admin powers on a contributor (Sascha) with a warning of ā€œor face the consequencesā€. I donā€™t think anything Sascha stated was so bad that it warranted such a threat. A simple ā€œit is ok to be angry or frustrated but please lets not get personally insultingā€ type of message would have sufficed. As a result, I am now entering your community NOT as encouraged or sure as I was and I feel this entire thread shines a negative light on this place. Iā€™m hereā€¦ but not sure this is the right place for me now because I donā€™t know if my strong opinion will ever be frowned upon in the same way and I may have a foot on my neck from some power hungry Admin.

Just some things for your consideration.

Just an opinion from an outsider looking in.

May all of you realize your full keto potential and create a healthier and happier life for yourselves. Happy 2018! I hope it is being good to you all.

LD

(Justin Jordan) #73

I donā€™t think it was what Sascha said but how she said it.

(Justin Jordan) #74

Or possibly because they frown upon ridiculous hyperbole.

(Ld Wyze) #75

How someone says something shouldnā€™t = threats from admins. Admins should first attempt to sort out things that could be misunderstood (lack of tone or intent in written text). Sascha was not afforded such because the admin (and several other members) were the ones angry about Saschaā€™s points.

(Ld Wyze) #76

so say you. Anyoneā€™s opinions or concerns could be considered exaggerated depending on who you ask. I can tell you that a community filled with closed minded individuals who dismiss otherā€™s opinions/concerns as hyperbole is turning its back on growth.

Anyway, I think I will go ahead and exit now. I see whats what around here.

Thanks

have a good one.

(Carpe salata!) #77

Iā€™d say generally fat to satiety, then try fasting if the weight is stubborn.