How much fat? What about for losing weight?

fat
science
weightloss

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #22

ME too.

What’s PSMF?

It is a high protein ‘fast’.

Thanks! Never heard of that one…

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #26

Better known in MY mind as “rabbit starvation”.
Look that one up. Lol

(Solomom A) #27

You are very knowledgeable and a great teacher

(Tsering M) #28

Video doesn’t load?

Loads for me, not sure if maybe it’s a YouTube glitch for you.

(Richard Morris) #30

try this link

it should load in Youtube

(Tsering M) #31

:ok_hand:

(Michele TP) #32

Thank you. I was confused by another thread that suggested if you ate too much dietary fat, you would not burn body fat. Since I am keeping my carbs low (20-30g is my best effort), protein moderate (63g) I would have to eat a lot of fat to avoid being hungry. I started to become worried (especially since weight loss was not happening) . It just started after 5 weeks on keto, so I will keep with the “eating to satiety” and hope for the best.

(Ellen Nathan) #33

Try using an online Keto Calculator. it will give you the calorie, fat, carbs, and protein goals to keep you in ketosis.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #34

@Ponderful
Sounds perfect.
No need to be hungry on the ketogenic diet once you are well fat adapted.

(Nick) #35

All this talk of eating fat to satiety is a little confusing for me. I don’t think I know what that would feel like.

If I eat a big serving of meat (i.e. mostly protein), at some point it suddenly becomes difficult to eat and the idea of eating the remaining meat will seem incredibly unappetising. I assume this is what people refer to as satiation. (It’s not the same feeling I got when I was carb-fed and would sometimes stuff myself silly; in that case, I think my stomach was just literally full). This satiation seems to happen whether it’s a fatty or lean cut of meat.

Still, I’ve never got that feeling from food that is primarily fat. I feel like I could eat cheese, or butter, or cream all day.

I don’t think I’m the only one. This part of Amy Berger’s post on gluconeogenesis resonated with me:

Protein takes a long time to digest. There’s a reason it’s so satiating. (People say fat is the most filling and satiating. You’ve probably seen this everywhere: “If you’re hungry, eat more fat!” I have not found this to be true at all. Protein is what fills me up, or maybe protein with fat, but fat, by itself, does nothing for me. Massive amounts of butter don’t fill me up. Massive amounts of mayonnaise don’t fill me up. But a big steak? A big pork chop? I’ll be plenty full after that, even without adding any extra fat to it.)

For people who eat fat to satiety, what does this actually feel like, and why do you think I’ve never experienced it?

(Adam Kirby) #36

I have your same experience, and have found it difficult losing weight at my body fat % eating fat to satiety. Meat is the key for me.

(Tsering M) #38

(What The Fast?!) #39

I get so confused because it feels like every “expert” says something different about this…

(bulkbiker) #40

As an interesting experiment… you could sit down with a chunk of butter and eat it.
See how far you get… I’m guessing not very far and I think that would be fat satiety.
I quite often slice off a small piece to eat when iI’m cooking with butter but couldn’t imagine eating a whole stick.

(Adam Kirby) #41

I think Ted’s statement while technically true is kind of misleading… if your insulin is low you can probably oxidize a lot of excess dietary fat. That’s basically what the crazy 5000-calorie LCHF experiments show. Most of that energy isn’t used for the body but also isn’t stored.

I need to dig around to see if I can find it but I remember reading a blog post about fat bombs and why they’re excellent for folks who are already lean - and will actually tend to lead to fat loss - but don’t work so well (in terms of weight/fat storage) for people who have higher bf %. I was already interested in hormonal pathways at that point so I doubt it was a CICO argument, and I remember finding it interesting/illuminating.