How much fat before a fast?

fasting

(Heather) #1

So, I started what I hope to be a 96 hour fast last night. Is it beneficial to load up on fat prior to starting a fast? I was ravenously hungry yesterday and had 190 g of fat :open_mouth:. Will that help to sustain me during my fast?

Stats: Female/5’10"/SW 194/CW 165/GW 145

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I would think it would. I always have an easier fast if I eat slightly more fat on the day before I start and EX fast.

(Robert C) #3

I am not sure why you would “load up” on fat prior to starting a fast.
It just puts off the beginning time of the positive effects of fasting (burning body fat, autophagy, rise in growth hormone etc.).

A small salad and a small piece of salmon at 6 PM Sunday likely means your body really starts into fasting mode before midnight Sunday.
A large pizza instead and your body might not start fasting mode until noon on Monday.

(Carl Keller) #4

I find that fully satiating my hunger hormone seems to have a good effect on my hunger over the following days. Whether that means I am fasting or going down to OMAD or my normal 2 meals following a day of feasting, it does help get food out of my mind. It’s my belief, formed from a lot of things I’ve read and personal experimentation, that switching things up is good for us.

How much (protein and) fat? I typically shoot for eating to 80% capacity of my total hunger, whereas, when I am feasting, I might shoot for 90% or as much as a few bites from full… but never stuffed. That 80 or 90% is hard to determine but when I look back at caloric intake, it’s about 500-600 more calories than usual.