How much butter do you eat?

(Allie) #21

Hardly any now. Well I turn it all into ghee and use 6g in my morning coffee, also use it when I pan fry meat / eggs but nowhere near as much as I used to.

(Jenny) #22

I have recently discovered the “naturally soft” Keri gold in the little tub. my hubby calls me a butter snob :blush::blush: so good!!!

(less is more, more or less) #23

Thanks for the three question marks. By truncating the last one, the discourse system won’t edit your quote out.

What quantity I eat, and what quantity you should eat, are two nearly unrelated measures.

That said, <grows dreamily> mmmmmm… butter

I have a stick of butter a day, roughly as a minimum. On Fridays, my OMAD day, I have two. I am physically active, however, and 6’1” Dr Westman has repeatedly admonished my butter-indulgence.

But, but… doctor! mmmmmmmmm… butter.

(Sheri Knauer) #24

I’ll use it to cook eggs, about 10 grams, and any recipe I may make that calls for butter. So my usage varies day to day.

(Daisy) #25

Probably around a half stick a day. This week for example (I’m working to get back to being fat adapted): I drink 16 oz of bone broth in the morning with up to 2 T butter in it. Then lunch, I haven’t been eating any. For dinner, I may make shrimp or steak or something cooked in a couple T butter, then what’s in the skillet drizzled on top.

(Bob M) #26

Mine varies day-to-day, though I no longer add it on top of meats, except rarely. I don’t put it in coffee/tea, as I used to. Overall, my fat intake is down and protein up. I still use butter for vegetables, though. I still make the periodic “keto” meal, and some of those require a lot of butter. I usually cut the amount down, though.

(Running from stupidity) #27

:wink::rofl::rofl::rofl:

One tablespoon in veggies or for frying bacon and eggs.

I might try 2 tablespoons a day, see if I feel more energetic or not.

(Scott) #29

I probably used more when I would place chunks of it on my toast, muffins, bread and pancakes.

(John) #30

Same here - I ate much more butter when I was a bread and potatoes eater than I do now.

I just fried up a couple of eggs in a combo of about 1 tsp of olive oil and a pat of butter. Probably half of that was left behind in the skillet.

(Central Florida Bob ) #31

My name is Bob and I’m a butter snob.

Those tubs of soft butter were my gateway drug. After that I went to the sticks of unsalted Kerrygold. Crazy, I know - eat unsalted butter and then eat salt? I just prefer the taste

My wife picked up some no-name, American-farmed butter at the Bulk and Bundle Store (BJ’s) and it just didn’t taste anywhere near as good as Kerrygold. I told her to cut a small slice, a teaspoon or so, off each one and taste it on its own. Now she’s a butter snob, too. The bulk butter got used for cooking where something else masked the taste.

(Bob M) #32

Wait until you try some good cultured butter.

I never ate butter, as it had fat in it. Fat was evil. I ate less than 10% fat by calories for years. It’s taken me a long time to like things like butter and mayo, and I’ll still choose say mustard over mayo (for instance) or vinegar over butter at times. And I still look at fat on meat and my mind tells me “that’s a lot of fat on there!” I just happen to ignore my mind.

(Todd Batitis) #33

I never would have thought I could be, my mother absolutely can’t since I only recently found out after decades of not noticing… that buttered bread will make her throw up just thinking about it unless it is melted into it…

Since going keto I have found that using Kerrygold like a dip for my pecans is a good snack. :slight_smile:

To answer @_Cate though, it really varies by week. When I am making omelettes or scrambles and using butter, I typically use around 20-30 grams but depending on what I am making it out of I may use up to 50g if I am doing things like sauteing brussel’s sprouts and mushrooms for it too.

I actually use less of the straight butter than when I started because it was getting too expensive when cooking compared with ghee. Now I often use that instead unless I am specifically looking for something that needs the butter solids in it like when browning butter in my pan roasted pecans.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #34

Like others I use way less than when I ate breads. I have to “remember “ to eat it sometimes as I like mixing things up. I have abundant bacon fat always, so I use it a lot. I have to make effort to keep up coconut oil consumption as a choice and I use EVO and avocado oil as well as toasted sesame oil.

So some days no butter and some days 1/2 stick. I love it on veggies with lemon juice especially broccoli.

(Jill F.) #35

When in doubt I add more butter. I always use 1 tbsp to cook eggs, 1 tbsp to cook steaks or chicken, and top the cooked meat with another. I also use more on steamed veggies. I am in butter heaven!

(Splotchy) #36

I eat loads of butter. I butter my slices of hot roast lamb, instead of having Yorkshire pudding or potatoes. I smother vegetables in butter. I add butter to anything I fry. I butter strips of smoked salmon and roll them up, yummmmmmm.

Might as well be satiated, eh.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #37

A pat or two every couple of days.

(Bunny) #38

Can be addicting sometimes:

Doing LCHF by accident?

Tallow would have been better?

(Laurie) #39

Actually, hardly any. I love butter, but it isn’t the same without bread.