How many glasses of water is it recommended Keto people drink per day?

(Bob M) #41

The manufacturers of drinks, particularly for sports drinks.

Thanks!
Oh of course. It’s about business. Who cares about people and truth. But lots of people believe it… Don’t they feel and think thirst is normal? It’s not some “last warning, you will die soon if don’t act” sign. Kind of a rhetorical question, people can believe in much less believable things as we know.

(Bob M) #43

If you like a lot of technical data, read this:

Basically, the fastest marathon runners never drank water or drank little water (based on their thirst), until Gatorade and the like came along. They convinced us we “need” to drink BEFORE we get thirsty. I mean, we don’t want to get “dehydrated”, do we?

It’s like CICO (calories in, calories out): if the food manufacturers can convince us that all calories are alike, then it’s OK if we have sweets and snacks and sugar.

I didn’t know that about fast marathon runners but well, they are busy with running fast and I just can’t imagine running with a stomach full with water… Maybe the ones who sweats like crazy rarely able to run fast to begin with because they must drink more and it has a negative effect? I just wonder, no idea.
I see no problems with drinking before thirst in some situations, the main thing I get adequate amount of water at some point and not everyone is as thirsty as me. But forcing ourselves to drink as much as we CAN, it sounds quite wrong. If one’s thirst works, why to mess up things and being obsessed with even drinking? Like our life isn’t complicated and stressful enough.

It’s still a bad logic (unfortunately it doesn’t bother enough people). CICO or not, it’s stupid to think we can eat anything and it won’t affect our health or how we feel etc. At least people experience some of it (they still can explain it away, of course, people are good at denial) and sugary sweets has a bad press.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #45

When young, I was a middle distance runner. I never drank water immediately before or during a run. The last thing I’d want is water sloshing around in my stomach or my bladder filling up. When you think about a marathon, keep in mind that the fast runners finish in a couple of hours or so. When you are normally hydrated/electrolyed even if you’re sweating like crazy on a hot day, you can run a couple hours without drinking anything. Lactate is a bigger problem than hydration. It’s the slow runners who take 3-4 hours to finish who get into hydration problems. They’re the ones with water/gatorade sloshing around in their stomachs or stopping for pee breaks.

(Scott) #46

And some of us learn the hard way that if you drink at a water station you shouldn’t try to run while drinking.

(Bob M) #47

The actually created so many water stations, that people died from drinking too much water. Yes, it was the slow ones.

And military personnel have died from drinking too much water. Football players have died from drinking too much water. The end of that book has a complete list of everyone who died from drinking too much water.

Also, what about 24 hour races, triathlons, etc.? The worst offender was the triathlon in Hawaii, which was sponsored by Gatorade. They had the highest number of people who drank too much water.

But it’s everywhere. I see people entering the gym with a gallon, yes a gallon, of water. I don’t drink water at all at the gym (only there less than an hour, and do drink coffee beforehand).

(Bob M) #48

Another example. When I was in physical therapy for my shoulder, the physical therapist told someone they had to drink 8 glasses of water per day. This was a smart woman. She believed everyone had to drink 8 glasses of water per day. Why? So far today, I’ve had about 16 ounces of coffee, one cup of tea, and one container of water (not sure how big it is, about 1.5 cups maybe). That’s it. My water intake is nowhere near 8 glasses per day, unless I just broke a 36+ hour fast, when I’ll drink many glasses for some reason.

I actually thought about that but I had no idea if even a couple hours are really fine without water in that situation so thanks, I like to know things. My SO quite missed his water bottle when he run half as much as a marathon (and he’s not me so it didn’t take longer than a marathon for a fast one) and it wasn’t even hot (he’s a camel compared to me when walking but running affects him). In hot weather he drank pretty much running the same distance, he badly felt the need. Well, his mindset and priorities were vastly different from a competing fast runner…

I got curious and looked up advices from fast marathon runners of my country. They do eat and drink, it seems. And give dietary advices I surely won’t follow ever but it’s nothing new.

Didn’t they feel in their bodies they drank too much, scratch that, FATALLY too much water?
I’m really thirsty and drink anyway, not even a little at once, exercise makes me hot and thirsty but I just can’t imagine drinking insane amounts. Even if I feel parched, my body argues and I start to drink very rarely and very little. I never run for long but I did exercised for hours in very hot weather and never was careful with my precious water bottles, I drank when I felt thirsty and actually could. It’s so odd to me. Did they forced themselves because they thought water is too important? Had they no proper feedback? Or is there something I am not aware? Poor souls.

A. Gallon. :open_mouth:
And I thought I drink much when I use my baby weights. If I wasn’t a lazy beginner, how on earth could I do anything serious with a painfully full stomach?
Or they just bring the gallon, to be safe and drink tiny sips? That’s just silly but it’s their prerogative (bad example though).

I guess it’s a bit like eating food. I can eat, easily way too much especially on a bad diet combined with some rare compulsion. But if it reaches a high point, it’s over. My body is indulgent, maybe a bit too much but not suicidal. It effectively stops me if I drink or ate WAY too much and it needs to deal with my mess.

And there are people with similar needs consuming 3-4 times as much as I am able to when I really go crazy. And they do it in a 1-2-3 hours while I need much more time (and I do feel I overconsume).
It sounds so wrong.

(Bob M) #51

What happened was they were the slower runners and due to “studies”, the event organizers started putting feed/water stations quite close together. Also, people would come to the event over-hydrated. So, if you’re running a marathon very slowly, and you take an amount of water at every feed stop, you can get a ton of water. Then, your salt content goes down in your blood, and this is true even if you’re drinking Gatorade, as the concentration of sodium there is lower than what’s in your blood. Then, at a certain point, you get some type of renal failure if I’m remembering correctly, and you cease to pee. And then your brain swells due to lack of salt.

And if you went to the help stations, even if you went to the medics, they would either give you more liquid or give you an intravenous solution that further diluted your blood (wasn’t high enough in sodium). They killed you or at least did not help.

He outlines a series of tests you can do to someone to determine if they have had too much water to drink, and outlines recovery procedures, including giving them an intravenous solution with high sodium content. They usually recover quickly, and then go to the bathroom like 10 times.

But today, I’ve had two cups of coffee and two cups of tea, and I have not been able to finish my mug of water, which I keep at my desk. I likely will toss most of it before I leave (put the mug upside down to dry over the weekend). That’s nowhere need 8 glasses of water per day. I am fasting, though, which I find means less water intake. I’ll eat dinner tonight, and then I’ll drink some water.

I see, so it was a serious electrolyte problem…
But I still don’t understand how they could drink so much. Yes, there was water. I always have water and sometimes I’m so hot I want to drink all the time but I can’t because I am full with water already.

Maybe we don’t feel we need more sodium because it wasn’t a real problem during our evolution. It makes sense. But I still don’t know how people drink a ton and feel it’s not super wrong… I feel lucky. I even got some knowledge before I got anywhere close to running a marathon but it seems I’m safe anyway.

(Bob M) #53

This helps explain it:

The rest of the runners in Winger’s survey were likely to follow the older guidelines, which called for drinking set amounts before, during and after a race, or drinking all they could hold. The thinking behind that was that even slight dehydration would hurt performance and that by the time a runner felt thirsty, the negative effects of dehydration had already begun.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/national/health-science/marathon-runners-who-drink-too-much-water-are-at-risk-of-a-deadly-condition/2011/10/10/gIQA3imSDM_story.html

I don’t know but anytime I go over 1 to 1.5 litres a day, I pee way too much and start losing potassium (I can tell by the low potassium symptoms). So now, I’m just keeping to around 1 to 1.5 litres of fluid a day. Excess water can waste electrolytes…for me anyway.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #55

Ten cups a day. I actually like plain water, most days I add a lemon.