How many glasses of water is it recommended Keto people drink per day?

(Bansaw) #1

I am 200lbs weight…
and whats the importance of water on the Keto diet?

(Carl Keller) #2

Up to 64 ounces (2 liters). More or less depending on thirst.

(George) #3

Just drink when thirsty. I drink anywhere from 64 to 80 ounces per day, plus I get in another 12-24 ounces in my coffee.

(Susan) #4

I make sure I drink 160 ounces (I have a glass that holds 32 ounces and I leave it by the sink, and refill 5 times atleast and drink all that) then drink more than that if I am out and about doing stuff, or have done a lot of activities and am more thirsty.

Plus I drink quite a lot of green tea and herbal tea. And, yes I run to the bathroom a lot but I feel I am thirsty a lot and need all this fluid.

I have always heard that you need to drink a minimum of atleast 64 ounces (8 times 8 ounce glasses a day though).

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #5

Per @JRS08 we already have a built-in system to deal with it. More importantly, make sure you replenish salt and/or electrolytes each day. A lot more water is passing through and taking other stuff with it.

(Marianne) #6

I’d just make sure to get enough salt, pot., mag., and take a multi-vitamin - just my opinion (no scientific basis). I am just concerned that you may be leaching those elements faster than someone who drinks less water.

(Susan) #7

I find I only seem to see any results when I drink that much water…even all the times I dieted in the past… (now not dieting, changing lifestyle! yes I know) but still reducing for ages atm.

I just notice if I don’t drink tons of water… even if I am fasting or not eating much… I gain weight… no idea why but that is what my body does…

I bought “Formula Forte Senior Women” multivitamin/mineral at Costco on Friday night, so am now taking those, along with my Apple Cider Vinegar capsules and now have also introduced a teaspoon of Pink Himalayan salt today to my diet (I took it directly from the spoon as I tried in water and was struggling to get it into me so took it directly) and just guzzled some water afterwards.

I decided to add it as an additional daily after reading what @x-Dena-x was saying she does.

I am hoping with all these now, and the foods I eat, that I will be okay and getting what I need.

(The Lackadaisical Ketologist ) #8

I make sure to drink anywhere between 1 fluid ounce and 300 fluid ounces every day. Usually much closer to 1 fluid ounce. Basically when I am thirsty, I drink water. When I am not thirsty, I don’t drink water. There is no magical number for how much water you are supposed to drink. If you urine looks like dark roast coffee, you are not drinking near enough water. If your urine looks like tap water, you are drinking too much. Something similar to watered down apple juice is where you want to be. Also note that there is water in pretty much everything you eat as well.

(Marianne) #9

Are these pills a reasonable size? I would like to take a multivitamin but all the ones I have purchased are horse pills. Can’t take those.

(Karim Wassef) #10

I drink when thirsty but I’m thirsty a lot :smiley:

(Susan) #11

@gingersmommy

Yes; unfortunately they are very large pills, about the same size of the Materna pre-natal pills I took when I was pregnant with my kids (if that helps for a comparison).

There are 365 in the bottle and they were only like $14 and you take one a day so the price was great.

Maybe you could crush them between two spoons? I used to do that with pills for my kids when they just could not swallow them.

(The Lackadaisical Ketologist ) #12

DeluxePillCutterwPillSplit2_600-reg

(Full Metal KETO AF) #13

It’s important to stay hydrated to avoid kidney stones during keto. Kidneys get dehydrated if you aren’t drinking sufficient water daily and if ignoring thirst is something you do a lot the uric acid, oxalic acid and other salts can begin to crystallize in your kidneys. We should all be drinking 2ltr. minimum to keep kidneys healthy and flushed. That amount should not include coffee, coffee is a diuretic and dehydrates you more than it hydrates you.

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Cathy) #14

There is plenty of evidence that the drink 8 cups of water a day was started by a bottled water company.

Coffee may have a slight diuretic effect but not nearly enough to cause the coffee to be of opposite effect. It is still fluids.

Personal experience for me is that I have never paid attention to the amount of water I consume and after almost 10 years of keto, my blood work indicates that my kidneys are functioning very well.

I do not fast for long periods of time (only OMAD) and would guess that paying attention to fluids might be of more importance for long fasts as much of the fluid we get is in our food.

Electrolytes are truly the thing that matter and generally won’t matter after the body has adjusted to keto.

(traci simpson) #15

I drink a lot of water because my body feels better when I do. Each person is different so drink when you are thirsty but at least 40 oz. minimum I would think.

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #16

Prof. Noakes advises drinking to thirst, not to any target.

The professor was the first authority to encourage athletes to stay hydrated, but then the bottled-water and sport-drink companies saw a marketing opportunity, and people started landing in the hospital from over-hydration. Several marathoners have actually died from over-hydration. (The professor saw that coming and tried to warn people, but the message didn’t get to enough people in time. He has publicly apologized for his earlier advice.)

(Full Metal KETO AF) #17

Someone posted a great video by a woman doctor who talked about kidney stones and hydration on KETO that was very compelling. I looked for it with the search function and couldn’t locate it. I remember @CarlKeller commenting, “Did anybody else take a big drink of water after watching this?”

I am a renal patient who’s had a transplant so you can believe that I have been cautioned and lectured about the importance of consuming 2.5-3 ltr. daily to keep my kidney flushed an functioning optimally. No bottled water company involved in that recommendation. None of you people are probably in my situation but I do understand more than the average person about maintaining the health of your kidneys, which are going to deteriorate as you age, no way around that. We virtually all have small kidney stones, it’s normal. Chronic dehydration causes those crystals to grow and eventually begin to transform from pebbles into something that looks like a medieval torture device or battle weapon. This is something you want to avoid, ask anyone who’s passed one.

People on a ketogenic or carnivore diets have a higher levels of uric acid from all the protein we eat, and/or oxalic acid from lots of spinach and other green leafy vegetables. Carbs don’t lead to kidney stones and we replace carbs with increased protein and leafy greens on KETO.

By no means am I the KETO water police so make kidney health an important thing or ignore it and possibly deal with the stones. I wish I could have found that video.

And 2ltr. of water daily isn’t anywhere near forcing hydration. Many of us probably drank that much soda per day before KETO. :cowboy_hat_face:

(Carl Keller) #18

https://www.ketogenicforums.com/t/stone-formers-i-need-convincing-to-go-back-on-keto-please-help/80499/3

(Bansaw) #19

yes, … and I’ve only got one kidney too so I’m all for taking care of it.
I’m just wondering if drinking so much water would cause the kidney to “work” more, as it has to process more liquids?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #20

@Bansaw You don’t want to drown it but you need to keep them flushed because salt accumulation is harmful. It’s a balance like with food you can under eat or over eat.

https://well.blogs.nytimes.com/2011/11/07/really-the-claim-drink-eight-glasses-of-water-a-day-to-protect-the-kidneys/

Do you care to back that up with some of that evidence?

:cowboy_hat_face: