How many glasses of water is it recommended Keto people drink per day?

(Cathy) #21

Hi David. I am not in the mood to get into this in detail but all you need do is a google search to learn that there is plenty of evidence that the 8X8 water rule is very questionable. The origins of the ‘rule’ are not clear but it has been suggested in many places over the years that bottled water companies at very least promoted it.

Your status as a ‘renal patient’ gives you a unique view of kidney health but may not be applicable to the average low carber/keto’er. The current evidence now points to insulin playing a role in kidney disease as well as gout (uric acid build up). I think most people will not experience kidney disease (stones included) if they follow a diet that keeps insulin low.

I pointed to my own experience because I am 63 yrs. old and during this past 10 yrs. have been strictly keto and have another 3 or so years of low carb prior. My PCP has been openly pleased with my kidney function (among lots of other health markers).

My reverse experience is that my beloved Mother had kidney failure as part of the multiple conditions of type 2 diabetes. I am sure that in her case, drinking 8x8 would not have made a single bit of difference for her. A low carb diet on the other hand, may have made all the difference but that was not in the advice of the professionals at the time.

I guess my message is that there is evidence for anything and everything a person may want to confirm for themselves so read both sides and learn to think critically and then come to your own decisions. I think this forum has plenty of folks that have come to that same conclusions and why it is such an interesting and good place to be!!!:smile:

(Doug) #22

Unless one has a demonstrable medical reason for more water, or if one’s urine is dark, I’d say it’s not a worry.

We lose water in our wastes, and ~ 700 or 800 ml per day go out through the skin and by exhalation, more in very dry air and if it’s hot, and of course substantially more if we’re really noticeably perspiring.

If brutally hot and brutally hard work, one might need 3 liters/quarts of water per hour. If I’m sitting around all day in air conditioning, might just be a couple cups of coffee in the morning, for a whole day.

(Susan) #23

I just drink tap water; unless I am out somewhere and have run out of my water in my water bottle, and end up buying a bottle of bottled water. Personally I don’t like the taste of any bottled waters I have tried; and much prefer the taste of the tap water at our house. I guess I am weird that way (I am of course weird in other ways too… haha) but I just find bottled water has a weird taste is all.

(Karim Wassef) #24

My urine is straw to clear

(Susan) #25

So is mine, I drink a lot of water… but I really love the taste of tap water. I never feel that I am “water logged” though, I can easily drink 32 ounces in one go, sometimes 64 (my glass holds 32 ounces which is why I know how much).

(traci simpson) #26

If I’m giving a urine sample at the Dr.'s office, I try to not drink as much because it’s almost completely clear.

(Susan) #27

If I have to leave the house, I tend to not drink much before hand as I have to go to the bathroom all the time, so is awkward when out.

(traci simpson) #28

I always pee when I leave the house. Don’t let it bother you, it’s natural!

(Susan) #29

I pee a few times before leaving the house, go as soon as I get to the place, and go again when leaving, and go as soon as I get home. Tonight is grocery shopping, so I for sure will go at Costco and at Walmart… my grand daughter is 3 and hates the sound of the flushing so cries both places =-( because she is fine at home but not with the industrial toilets, but I have to go…

(Bob M) #30

The one and only rule is to drink when thirsty. That’s it.

I recommend anyone interested in this subject to read “Waterlogged” by Tim Noakes. This is based on athletes, and needs an update for keto people, but is a damning expose of how outside interests want us to drink more (of their products):

I basically drink when I’m thirsty and follow no rules other than that.

(traci simpson) #31

me too and it just so happens to be a lot

(Marianne) #32

God bless and Godspeed.

I’m bigger than the average bear, live in Alabama (read hot and humid), and am outside for a good portion during the middle of the day or I workout in the garage.

I’m probably close to 200 ounces. I usually have to bring an extra shirt with me since I sweat so much.

(Kimbrie Sauvageau) #34

I use a water tracking app, it had me enter my goals, CW, age, weight, and height…it calculated I need 3420ml or about 115 oz of water a day. I have a 24 ounce water bottle that I drink 5 of, it really isnt so bad…but thankfully I have that app to remind lol

I never measure water intake.

I just drink water all day long. Sipping or chugging a lot when wanted.

As I went extreme low carb into Carnivore my water intake upped itself.

I just drink when I am thirsty. If I had to worry about how much water I drink per day and have to choke it down to ‘meet a ounce number’ I would kill myself LOL (just me here, I despise tracking anything)

Water also is sweet tasting. When I went extreme low carb and now Carnivore water got very sweet. I was shocked how sweet water does taste…I do like it better now :slight_smile: I drink a lot of water as needed. I travel with water bottles all the time. I want water around me at all times LOL

I never need to worry about it, I am a very thirsty type. I probably drink 2-3 liters, sometimes more per day anyway (water, tee, coffee) even if I just sit at home in a cool house. I surely drank 4 liters in the beginning when I went keto. I rarely drink less than 2 liters (not like I can track my water intake, I just forget and it’s not important for me but I take an educated guess) because my food is somewhat dry. Zero drinking is fine if one gets all the necessary water from their food, it’s doable but rare. I had lots of water from my vegetables and sometimes fruits before keto. And still drank a lot of water, just less. It’s interesting I drink little in the morning despite I had no water for 6-9 hours and I don’t even consume food so the water from it is zero. I drink a lot before I go to bed though. I can’t have a glass with me on my desk, well I can but it will be empty in 5 minutes, I tried. I feel a compulsion to drink it, I don’t even notice. It doesn’t matter that it’s my third big glass in the last 10 minutes.
My record is drinking 2 liters of water in a few minutes, following a big lunch. Eating a tablespoon of salt might not have been my best idea ever but I have no regrets, I had to do it and now I know what happens. A full stomach for several minutes. It seems to be the minimal amount of water I need for that much salt. It sounds good.
At least I have one thing I needn’t to bother with…

I don’t have problems with peeing. A 9 hour hiking is borderline okay, not too uncomfortable yet, maybe because it’s in the driest part of the day. I often drink during that, of course, I am moving and it generates heat and I get thirsty. I drink little at a time then, it’s very different from what I do at home.
But I make sure not to drink a lot of tea before I leave the house. Beer and watermelon has the same effect and I hear tea AND beer is a killer combo (China. everything comes with tea. even beer). Even my talented bladder can’t resist the power of these substances in more than tiny amounts.

I am a tad abnormal. Until the new conductor (I sing in a choir), I was the only one with a water bottle and I sipped water all the time. Singing and talking make me thirsty but it apparently has no such effect on most people.

One of the worst things that can happen to me is dry fast. I just read those words and I immediately had to drink a few glasses of water. It’s against my whole being. 3 hours without water while not sleeping is tough enough, I feel so parched… I don’t know why, my body surely is fine still.

(traci simpson) #37

Use your own judgment but I recommend: DRINK WHEN YOU ARE THIRSTY.

Why are you people here so refreshing? I always read elsewhere that if we are thirsty, we are already dehydrated. I know very well it’s not true, I experience it basically every day but it’s annoying. I’ve read it from people from different places of the world. Who started that belief I wonder but I’m not really interested.

I know many people end up dehydrated when they drink only when they are thirsty (it was very strange to learn it’s a thing and not even rare) but it’s their messed up thirst and says nothing about people with a normal, healthy one.

(traci simpson) #39

I drink one on Thursday, which happens to be quite a lot but that’s just me

(Scott) #40

How many glasses? How big is the glass?

I just keep an insulated large bottle of water with me day and night. Because it is at hand I can drink when thirsty, no glass required. I fill it in the morning and again at night.