How long do you feast between one EF and your next EF? And, headache on refeed?

(Donna ) #1

I did a 43 hour EF and felt fabulous. I broke it so I wouldn’t have to answer questions at a ladies dinner for my subdivision. I’d like to hop right back in and do a 5 day fast, but how long should I feast between EF’s?

Also, I ate well, LCHF, last night but experienced a headache about 2 hours afterward and it lasted for about two hours. What’s up with that? Anyone else ever had a headache on refeed?

(KCKO, KCFO) #2

I’ve done EF, broke it with olives and macadamia nuts, eaten a large regular keto style meal and went back to fasting, no ill effects.

Sorry never got a headache from my refeed meals. Maybe you are sensitive to something in the meal and the fast that your system was “clean”, caused a reaction? There are several things I can eat very small amounts of, but larger amounts cause major problems for me. Perhaps this is what happened to set off headache?

(Donna ) #3

Maybe the restaurant’s salad dressing had some MSG, is all I can think. That would be disappointing, because I always had the impression that particular restaurant was making their own salad dressings, but maybe not.

(KCKO, KCFO) #4

They could be making it with an something beside olive oil or avocado oil. I have started making all my own salad dressings, if I go out to eat, I request olive oil and vinegar or if a Mexican place, I put salsa on the salad. I have also learned to like salad without dressing if nothing good is available.

Dr. Fung talks about a 42 hour IF protocol in his book. Its basically continuous alternate day fasting and always skipping breakfast on feed days:
Day 1 eat lunch and dinner (ie. dinner at 6 pm)
Day 2 fast (at 6 pm it has been 24 hours)
Day 3 eat lunch and dinner (lunch at noon it has 42 hours)

(Donna ) #6

Thanks. Which book? I don’t know which one to buy. I can’t get both this month.

(Linda Culbreth) #7

I tend to get headaches when I need more salt.

The Complete Guide to Fasting
SmartSelectImage_2017-10-11-16-35-27

(Donna ) #9

Thanks @afblangley! :smiley:

Hi there, I know this is an old thread, but the answer is still unclear to me. In the protocol described above its feast - fast - feast. After dinner of the last feast, can you jump straight into another 42hr fast or would you throw in a second day feasting?
In my situation I’m try fasting to kick a weight loss stall. The stall indicates to me that the last couple of months low carb combined with daily endurance have already slowed my metabolism. I’ve cut down on exercise already, but I don’t want to damage my metabolism again with too much fasting and not enough feasting.
Appreciating everyone’s wisdom :smile:

(Raj Seth) #11

Fast-Feast cycling is the best way to rebuild metabolism. I have been doing it for 2018, and now think my BMR is ramped up. Zero weight loss last 3months - but several inches gone from midsection. No loose skin. Feel great.

Hey there + hope you found your answer (again sorry to resurrect an old thread).

I’m just starting a more routine ADF protocol and am worried about the same thing (42 day fasts essentially back to back after a 6 hour feeding window, brief but intense calisthenic workout on the feeding day).

Have you found results? If so, what was your method? Would love to hear your experience.