How long did it take you to fat adapt?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #21

I did not have any problems but I was eating a ton of salt.

I put salt on pretty much all the meat I eat. Especially beef. That’s probably why. I did lose an absolute ton of water / glycogen weight though. 4kg in two days.

(Scott) #23

At three months on keto I suddenly noticed a mark change in my running energy level. I was needing to walk at times but could now run uninterrupted. Not very scientific but that’s all I got.

(Allie) #24

Sounds good to me.

(Carissa JB) #25

You are an amazing person :slight_smile:

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #26

I don’t know. I am notorious for not exercising, so I never noticed any drop in performance. I also have some sort of fatigue syndrome, the result of a viral infection back in 2006, so my baseline was much lower than most people’s to begin with. It was about a year before I noticed that I was—and apparently had been for some time—able to do strenuous chores without needing days of recovery.

Ketone production begins to increase as soon as there is no more carbohydrate coming in to provide glucose for fuel. I noticed signs of ketosis within a day or two of eliminating the carbohydrate.

For me, appetite signaling suddenly returned to normal in the middle of a meal, two or three weeks after going full-bore keto, and my leptin response has only improved in the months since.

Fat-adaptation requires changes at the cellular level. It appears to involve shifts in hormonal signaling, plus restoration of mitochondrial health, both of which take time. I went keto in early 2017, and that was an extremely busy year, involving a death in the family, moving house, and other stressful adjustments. It wasn’t until last year that I really was able to pay attention to how I was now running up and down stairs without knee pain, my muscle aches had disappeared, mowing the lawn was feasible, etc. After years of barely having the strength to get out of the house and go to work, doing chores and cooking meals actually feels pretty good.

(Empress of the Unexpected) #27

I’m 60. Exercise some days. Sometimes I can completely ignore hunger signals, other days need to eat all day. I doubt I am fat-adapted. I feel the same as I felt pre-keto.

Hmm, maybe you need more salt. and plenty, as in tons, of water? Low amounts are known to make one feel foggy and tired.

I recently started drinking broth as the good doctors have been suggesting. Love it.

(Carrie) #29

Yes I should drink broth, especially in this freezing weather! Thanks for the tip!

(Daisy) #30

I was right! I could tell I was close when I posted this and it happened right after that. I am now feeling good and fat adapted starting yesterday. It was 5 weeks and 1 day lol

(Carrie) #31

How did you know? Was it an energy increase?

(Daisy) #32

For me it was my hunger going away. It’s been like a switch both times now. I go from “must eat breakfast!”, then suddenly I can easily go until lunch. The signs I noticed in the day or two preceding this phenomena is a very increased sense of smell and an ability to lay in bed at night unable to sleep but completely at ease.

I haven’t been able to sleep well for as long as I can remember (up at least every 2 hours, all through the night and very restless when in bed) but both times I’ve been fat adapted (from late October to early December and now the last couple days). I still am not sleeping, but I’m ok with it. I go from getting up exhausted every morning (not adapted) to getting up perfectly rested (adapted). Right now, it’s 2:47 in the morning and if it were a few days ago, I would be feeling panicked that I was awake. Now I’m hula hooping lol. I’ll go back to bed shortly and be perfectly fine in the morning.