How I kicked my stall (which some may not consider a stall)

Oh man, that’s worse than actually eating the ice cream. If you’re gonna eat it, at least you should be able to remember the experience. :grin:

Would it be possible to remove the snack type foods from you home? If I had to prepare everything I ate, then I’d quickly be discouraged from eating anything off schedule.

Started eating more peanut butter after going keto, because I thought, “Hey, it’s better than ice cream”. Finally admitted to myself I was eating more than I should, and it was causing some stomach issues, so we had to stop buying it.

Oh, the sacrifices we make for our health! :grin:

Congratulations, Michelle! What an amazing feeling and such great progress! :clap: I am stuck right where you were and switching some things up hoping to see onederland sometime soon. It’s a very frustrating place to be, psychologically, right on the cusp. But then again, I didn’t think I would ever get to where I am so that, in itself, is a victory :blush:

(Kirk Wolak) #23

Michelle,
MORE people need to read this, and LIVE This. I had a family picnic today, and ate well outside my controlled eating windows (30-60 minutes, shorter the better). I knew I would, and I stayed KETO with macadamias, and some bacon before everyone got here and started snacking. Then some almonds later (4 oz).

I KNOW this will stall me for today. Don’t care, because I was with extended family, and already passing on the cannoli, and other things… I had a plan.

But normally, I am REALLY strict about the eating window. NOT EVEN TASTING Food I prep early! And I know it makes a difference.

Dr. Fung says: Every time you put food in your mouth, you risk an insulin release, which shuts off fat burning for up to 4hrs (1-2hrs for healthy weight people). So, if you grab 2 snacks, you’ve lost a day of fat loss (for me, anyways).

I also work at home. And this discipline prevents my spinning out of control, by getting stressed, and grabbing an avo or some almond butter, etc. Not a meal time. NOT eating!

(Michelle) #24

Yes! :raised_hands:t3:

Good to remember. I missed the fat burn “shut off of up to 4 hours.”
Need to keep in mind, but usually stop eating by 3 p.m. and
fast until 9 a.m. Seems to work for me, but if later in
evening feel hungry will go with Kerrygold butter: 1 tablespoon.
Works for me.

(Carissa JB) #26

I didn’t know about the insulin release, thanks for the tip :slight_smile:

(Monique ) #27

Thank you for posting this. I’m going to see if this helps me. I definitely feel the need to have a snack as soon as I get home from work.

(Kim) #28

I too started doing the same thing almost a week ago. Stopped with the bites in between meals and feeling more satisfied in the two meals I eat. I pray to have kicked my stall with good results soon!

I’m going to try something similar! Are you able to eat ~2000 kcal/day and lose weight that way?

(Running from stupidity) #30

As I said to the psychologist who was doing my geriatric ADHD diagnosis, when I was a carb-eater I was guilty of binge-grazing :slight_smile:

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #31

I’ve told my PCP the same thing.

(Banting & Yudkin & Atkins & Eadeses & Cordain & Taubes & Volek & Naiman & Bikman ) #32

Zinc Magnesium B6 combo with Theanine. Sold as ZMA with Theanine. Half an hour before sleep.

It may take a while before you learn to sleep without ambien.

(Michelle) #33

@mrs_mustard how long have you been keto? I ask because I had trouble sleeping for months before I went keto. I blame it on perimenopause (I’m 43), having one child out of the house (where is she, who is she with, is she making good choices?), and body aches (I have hip bursitis and I have chronic pain from flat foot reconstruction back in December). Since about a month into keto I’ve had very little sleep issues. Occasionally I will wake up and make the mistake of looking at my phone. But otherwise keto has tremendously helped my insomnia.

(Mrs. Christine Neeley) #34

Thank you so much for sharing! I snack alllll day long, and stopped losing. Make perfect sense. Starting this today!

£CSX @Cassi

(Coco Flores) #36

this is great advice. I’d been trying to eliminate my snacking as well ( I’m super new to Keto, just started week 5)
I really think it makes a difference!

(Diana ) #37

Thanks. I will check that out. I do hate being dependent on ambien but I spent years not being able to sleep, so a part of me hates the thought of going back there, too.

(Diana ) #38

I have been Keto since July 11, 2018. Not very long. A stressful job and chronic pain from RA was what originally got me to start ambien, but I don’t really have much of either of those anymore, now that I am retired. It is well past time for me to stop the ambien.
But, for the past week or so, I have been trying to make sure I eat a big supper, and have managed to avoid snacking before bed. Drinking a big glass of water with salt in it has helped keep feelings of hunger away, too, I think.
I hesitate to say it is my willpower kicking in, which has always been suspect. So I think it might be a combination of things, Keto being a large part of it.

(Kirk Wolak) #39

Monique,
When you feel a hunger pain. Surf It! Ride it out… Here is why:

When your body REALIZES you did not feed it. It gives up, and it tells your FAT cells to release the Triglycerides inside, and takes them to your liver, and converts them to Glucose! (Which helps you lose weight).

So, when you feel a hunger pang… This is your body saying “If you don’t feed me… I’m going to start burning BODY FAT!”

To which I say “I dare you!”.

Then your body eventually says “OMG, no food. What are we going to eat?” it looks up (in my case), and sees my BELLY and says “Never mind… We’ve got a BUFFET over here… Come on guys… Lets dig in!!! Take as much as you want… It’s on the house!”

Now, you laugh! But that is the INTERNAL Dialogue I used to have WHEN I felt hunger pangs. After 12 weeks, I rarely feel them. When I do, I smile… And think… In 30 minutes, I will have less body fat.
[For the record, I am on Day 3 of a 7 Day fast. I normally eat only 1 meal on MWF and fast the other 4 days. Hunger is not an issue for me anymore… I Feel like I could fast forever, and still be quite functional. I am even training 3 times this week, during this Fasting week… For a 1/2 marathon. Running about 2 miles or more each time (run/walk). Something I NEVER Felt like doing when I was carbed out!]

OR, I could eat some fat, and keep my precious body fat… (No thanks!)

HTH

(Monique ) #40

Kirk,

Thank you so much! I’m definitely feeling the frustration of a big stall. I read the forums and see how each person did this or that and was able to get their fat loss started but I don’t see change in inches or pounds. I just read The Obesity Code after reading this thread and I didn’t feel the book was that helpful…basically do everything I’m already doing and add in fasting. So…that’s where I am…trying to get myself on a regular fasting routine but I do find it very difficult. 12 hours I’m good …14 hours okay…but as I approach 16 it gets rough for me but I’m going to work on it.

Also, figuring out if i’m actually in ketosis is very frustrating. I check my blood ketones…not obsessively but I check. I’m almost never above 0.5 fasted am (I know dawn issue but still annoying), maybe in the afternoon from 0.5 to 1. What the heck does all of this mean really? It’s very n=1. Some people say you have to be at least over 0.5 in the am fasted, some people say it’s okay if you’re over 0.5 at some point in the day, etc etc…
Does anyone really know? Then there’s the “well you might just be fat adapted”. How does one really know this? I was already eating primal for 3 years prior to starting this WOE so I wasn’t consuming huge amounts of carbs, now I’m a little over 8 weeks into Keto but I still get hungry when I try to fast. I’m guessing I’m not fat adapted but again it’s very n=1 and I have no idea.

LOL now I’m rambling but you get the point. I do like eating this way and would like to continue even if I don’t lose any weight but 10lbs would be pretty darn sweet!

Thank you so much for responding to me. Your message gives me motivation to push on with the fasting and see how if it helps. Have a great day!