How I kicked my stall (which some may not consider a stall)

(Michelle) #1

I spent most of the month of August at 202-203#. If you’ve been there it is a frustrating weight at which to stall! I exercised, drank water, did everything I could but that scale didn’t move.

Last weekend I attended a retreat. Nothing keto or food related. However, the kitchen was only open three times a day. Most of the food wasn’t keto friendly, but I kept my keto food and heavy cream in the fridge. I brought no snack food. I was forced to eat only during meal times. I ate the same amount of food I have been eating at home, but I could only eat it during mealtimes as the kitchen was closed.

I returned home on my four month ketoversary and was able to record my official weight as 200# meaning I lost 2 lbs on my retreat. Recognizing that my only change was only eating at mealtimes I decided to maintain that schedule of eating. I have lost three more pounds in the past week and am now at 197!

I work from home, taking care of an infant and toddler, so it is easy to nibble on my lunch - eat an avocado, then a while later a couple TBSP of peanut butter (only peanuts and salt), then some olives, nibble on veggies while I’m preparing dinner - such an easy thing to do. All keto friendly but my insulin never got a rest. Now I eat lunch all at once, and it is filling. Then I don’t eat until dinner. Then I’m done. Only HWC in my morning coffee because MCT oil makes me clear my throat.

So eat during mealtimes. If it isn’t time to eat, don’t eat! That’s what worked for me. I hope this helps someone else!

(Eric - The patient needs to be patient!) #2

This is called time restricted feeding. It has helped me reduce my appetite. I’m still kind of stalled and will have to take my fasts from 18/6 to probably 36 hrs to break the stall. But the TRF is helping me feel better. Some days I’m still not compliant.

good luck. KCKO

Yes. This is how I reigned in my overeating when I was unwilling to count calories. Eating only at mealtimes cut down my calories a lot. It also gave the discipline to then start calorie counting as well. It was pretty annoying to have to stop and log every little snack I ate. Well now it’s not hard at all because I just log 3 times a day.

(Sheri Knauer) #4

Congratulations. Prime example of why snacking is discouraged. Every time you eat something, it causes a spike in insulin, which is your fat storage hormone. The key to losing fat is to ideally eat 2 large meals a day (they should be large enough so you don’t leave the table hungry and will keep you full until your next meal), some prefer only 1, so that allows your insulin to drop between meals. The longer you keep your insulin low, the more you are allowing your body to be in a fat burning mode. If you find you are hungry between meals and want to snack, then you haven’t eaten enough at your meal.
For me, I typically eat my first meal around 12-1pm. 2nd meal is around 7pm. That is what works for me and helps to keep my insulin levels low.

Try getting Dr Fung’s book on Obesity Code. You sounds like you have moved from a “grazing style of eating” to more restrictive. Good for you! I am a grazer and have moved to a more
structured eating regime. Now I am doing a little intermittent fasting ( so many hours between meals, there is a number of intermittent fasting styles) and found it beneficial. Dr Fung’s book and 2KetoDudes podcasts have helped me to gather information to present to my doctor regarding “insulin production” and it’s direct impact on weight loss particular to my body. Just some thoughts, hope one or two helps. Way to go, sounds like you have a direction that is right for you. Keep it up! Congratulations.

(Michelle) #6

I have it and love it.

Amen Michelle, best to you on this journey. Not being a Mom,
I would be interested in following your story. I am sure watching
out for toddlers can be hectic and challenging as well as loving.

(Jane) #8

Welcome to ONEderland!!!

Not snacking between meals is a lot more difficult until you are fat-adapted and then it is just a matter of making up your mind to do it if it is (was) an engrained habit like it was for me.

I see people with good intentions recommending IF when newbies reach their first stall at 3-4 weeks or so and I cringe. Some may be able to white-knuckle through the hunger pains but others may give up, where all they have to do is KCKO for a few more weeks, ignore the scale and wait until they are fat-adapted to try IF or cut out the snacking.

(Michelle) #9

Yes babies are challenging. And they tie you to the house. My youngest just went off to kindergarten so these littles keep me busy. Before I started keeping them I was afraid I wouldn’t be able to stick to keto. Now I know that I really don’t have time to eat, really just have time to grab something. This is exactly why I always need to be prepared. Yesterday for example I didn’t have any PB. That’s half of my lunch. So I had boiled eggs prepped in the fridge.

Question–did you eat strict keto during that time, or did you eat higher carb because of the retreat?

Hopefully when they go down to sleep you can do some good cooking for the week or 1/2 week, with deviled eggs, a meatloaf etc. Celery sticks with some cream cheese can be prep and handy when you do computer work, also fry up a good amount of bacon that you can reach for. I take water in a 1/2 gallon jar and put 5-6 tea bags and let it sit overnight. Stir in a.m., soak another 4-6 hours and you got a different drink than water at no calories. I will put my thinking cap on and ask on the forum if others have some quick ideas for you. Maybe your eating times can go with when they (the kids) go down for nap or night night time. By the way, recommend the “Calm” app if you have android or apple phone. Just 10 minutes of a short guided meditation can make a world of difference, plus they have night meditations and night time stories that will help relax you before you go to sleep. Just suggestions. You are doing well, much better than I could. Take care.

Also either almond butter or peanut butter with celery sticks is pretty good for some of our palettes.

(Diana ) #13

I’m having a hard time cutting out snacking at night. I don’t snack before or after my late breakfast, or between lunch and dinner, but around 9 pm I start feeling I need to eat something. I don’t know if I could make myself go to bed without a snack. And to make things worse, after I take my half an ambien, if I doze off watching TV and then get woke up, I wander to the kitchen in an ambien fog and eat peanut butter or cream cheese. I’m cognizant enough to know to eat something at least halfway Keto, but not cognizant enough to talk myself out of it.
I have been doing Keto a little over 2 months, so I should be fat adapted. I want to do some fasts, if I ever get past this issue.

(Jane) #14

Had a friend who took Ambien and she would get up the next morning and find sn empty ice cream carton in the trash and no memory of her eating it.

Any way you could wean yourself off that medication? I take Z-Quil sometimes if I am having trouble sleeping or on overseas flights where I need to sleep to minimize jet lag. It’s not good for you either, but doesn’t have the side effect of sleep-eating.

(Diana ) #15

I have tried to break the ambien habit several times. All the herbal and non-script solutions I have tried have not worked well. 5 blossoms tea, diphenhydramine, valerian, melatonin, warm milk and honey, a shot of hard liquor, meditation…(I must state I haven’t tried these all together)
Anyway, I know I need to get off the ambien. It’s my only flaw, lol.

(Michelle) #16

Oh gosh. I don’t know about the ambien situation. If I ever consume any calories past dinner time, it’s a small glass of bourbon! After dinner the kitchen light is turned off, coffee prepared for tomorrow, and the kitchen is clean and ready for the next day. That way I have no need to wander in there.

(Michelle) #17

Perhaps if you have a pure fat for your late night snack. Like a paper thin slice of kerrygold butter. That gives you the salty and fatty satisfaction without the insulin spike.

(Frank) #18

That book fundamentally changed my life.

(Jane) #19

Oh gosh - not a flaw! It’s hard to give up something that works for you.

I don’t drink when I am on the road (which is a lot with my job) but when I am at home I may have a rum and Diet Coke at bedtime to help me sleep.

At least you are stick to keto food when you sleep-eat :+1:

(Carissa JB) #20

Congratulations Michelle😁 I think this will help me , if I can do it.
I have a habit of grazing , my inner cow is always on the MOOOOve… (Sorry for the pun, I couldn’t resist)