How do you turn down carbs?

(Hui Xiong) #1

Hi interesting people of the forum.

Question: what are good ways to turn down carbs, usually in the form of desserts, that your host so generously offers you? What do you tell them? That you don’t eat carbs? How to do it the best possible way

(Laurie) #2

“I wish I could, but I can’t.”
“Unfortunately, there are many things I can’t eat.”
“I’m fine thanks, really.”

I find it’s best to not say anything specific about carbs, sugar, diet, etc. People will comment, ask questions, or apply pressure, and I just don’t want to have those conversations. Say no graciously, and refuse to engage further. Change the subject if necessary.

Good luck!

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #3

No, thank you.

(Gabe “No Dogma, Only Science Please!” ) #4

“Oh thank you so much, but I don’t eat sugar or starches.” Sometimes they’ll say “oh just have a bite, it won’t hurt you,” and you can say, “It’s easier for me to eat zero bites than just one bite. If I have one bite I’ll eat the whole thing.”

If pressed further, I can always say, “I’m insulin resistant, actually, so I really can’t.” Sadly, few people know what that means. I think it sounds vaguely like diabetes to people (which of course it really is!), so they don’t question much after that.

Actually, right now I have a great excuse: I’m on a very restrictive diet on doctor’s orders. So I just say that. Literally zero people have asked me to go against what my doctor has prescribed in the 3 weeks I’ve been doing this.

(Butter Withaspoon) #5

Thank but I’m so full I couldn’t possibly! By the way, That roast/curry/frittata was SO delicious could I have the recipe? (A mix of flattery and distraction works wonders :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:)

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

“No thanks” with a smile. Change the subject, move on.

If they insist, they’re going to get a diarrhea story.

been turning them down for a long time now :slight_smile: so I am very direct but nice about it. I just say No thanks! If pushed more I say, NO REALLY! I don’t want any :slight_smile: all with a smile on my face while doing it! I used to fluff around on my answer but now, I just say it like it is for me. I am so over caring about fluffing my answers to anyone anymore. I am me, I do me and get over it HAHA

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #8

“Why thank you, but I’ve had enough.”
“Not just yet, thank you.”
“Thank you, but my doctor says I can’t.” (No need to mention that you are referring to Dr. Phinney or Dr. Fung)
“That looks lovely, but do you have any bacon?” (Well, that one probably won’t work, lol!)

Sugar-laden foods are easy: “No thank you, I’m diabetic.” Chances are that you were, before going keto.

It depends on my mood. And how aggressive they are. Normally I am really nice.

“I don’t eat added sugar, ew.”
“I can’t stand overly sweet things.”
“I don’t eat carrots because they are too sugary. Hell, green tea is way too sweet to me. Do you think is this food for me? :smiley: Lol”
“I am not into cakes in general.” (There are exceptions but very few. I got bored of cakes on keto.)
“I do carnivore at the moment. Give me some lightly salted pork chuck/shoulders without any spice or other addition… No? I thought so, no problem, I brought my own.”
“No, thanks.”
“I am satiated.” (It’s usually true. And if I eat the carbs, I will get hungry again and that’s usually not fortunate.)
“I am hungry. I need and desire a big fatty protein rich meal now, not carbs.”

Or I may just look alarmed and run away but I am not scared easily. That would be fun though. I probably couldn’t keep myself from being expressive (disgust and confusion would be present for sure) if I saw those sprinkled donuts, who on earth can consider them food?

I could give more interesting and more elaborated answers about mental struggles, addictions, stress…

I have no problem with honesty, maybe that’s why I don’t have many friends? :smiley:
I actively FOUGHT with people about not eating meat (I was a vegetarian for long and some people just couldn’t understand it. oh well, not my problem). I was in a cake shop for hours drinking mineral water while one woman made comments. So saying no to a nice host is nothing. And saying no to a bad, rude host who wants to force harmful, horrible tasting stuff on me? A pleasure…

What I can’t do is lying, even those soft ones are unacceptable for my character. Lying about food where I have total control and right to eat whatever I want? Makes no sense. I would lie to an enemy to save someone but food? I love talking about food anyway and I meet so few haters, it’s a bit boring. But my honest character is the main reason.

By the way, I usually can eat a lot of sugar without ill effects if I had very low-carb since a while (I extremely rarely tested it but it happened) but it doesn’t mean my body likes it, it just handles it. So I only eat it if I get tempted. Not when someone else want me to eat it. That actually annoys me horribly and I probably should leave before I start to yell. Forcing food and booze onto others after we clearly said no is a serious abuse in my eyes and I don’t want to mingle with such low-level people, sorry not sorry. I definitely have a temper…

It’s easiest at my relatives. They know what I like and the food tends to reflects that (except at Christmas dinner where I tend to eat little as I don’t like anything) and they don’t bat an eye if I eat nothing (or if I eat 12 roasted chicken thighs all alone. but I bring my own food to the places with modest amounts). I have good relatives. I am cute there, polite and even eat carbs if the food is really tempting - but if I don’t want it, I don’t eat it. Everyone should understand that.

Sorry, I have very strong feelings about these things and couldn’t resist to write this much.

(Allie) #10

I’m naturally antisocial so don’t have a problem… :rofl:
But at work they all know I just don’t eat that crap so don’t even offer.

(Rebecca ) #11

“No thank you.”

(Ethan) #12

First response is simple: “no, thanks”
Second response explains a bit: “I’m diabetic, and I this is my doctor’s treatment”
Third response is a bit more direct: “Sorry, I don’t eat plant s for health reasons”
Fourth is action: “thanks.” Take the item and immediately throw it in the trash.

(KCKO, KCFO) #14

If no thanks doesn’t work. I say “I am allergic to that”, this is said out loud and I continue in my head “it makes me break out in fat/makes me feel sick/causes depression.” Since all non keto foods do one of those things to me.

Why do you think that you need an excuse? You can just say you eat low carb but just because a dessert is served doesn’t mean you’d want one anyways.

(Laurie) #16

For me, it’s that a part of me wants to partake, and/or my brain hasn’t completely made the transition to “Oh yeah, I don’t do that any more.”

I’m a lifelong nondrinker, by preference. When I was younger (and sometimes even today) it was considered rude to turn down a drink. But I didn’t let it bother me, and after a few seconds, whoever was offering/insisting would give up and the conversation would move on.

With food, it’s my own ambivalence that makes me feel “pressured.”

When I’m invited, I eat and give compliments to everything I can, meaning the least carby foods. When I’m offered something carby, I say I have blood sugar issues and I’m avoiding it.

(cheryl) #18

I say “I’m trying to cut back on starch and sugar. Want to keep Blood Sugar stable. But it looks delicious”

“That looks good! But I have to pass. Thanks!”

Compliments, doesn’t offer up an explanation (none was needed), and keeps it concise.

(UsedToBeT2D) #20

Looks delicious. Can you wrap it up for me? Then give it to the homeless person on the corner.

(KCKO, KCFO) #21

I’ll have to try that one. Good idea.