How do you turn down carbs?

(Marianne) #22

“No, thank you. I find I’ve lost my desire for sweets now.” After so long, I don’t mind telling people I’m on keto or eating low carb. I will entertain a few questions if it comes to that, but beyond that, I’m not going to debate or justify my way of eating with anyone. I’m totally comfortable with that. I usually end by saying, “We all have to do what we are comfortable with. This works for me.”

(KCKO, KCFO) #23

Love this and it can apply in a lot of other situations, not just WOE.

(Joey) #24

What do you have against the homeless? :man_shrugging:

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #25

I love this thread of responses! The OP is essentially asking what how do you respond when asked:

“Would you like to eat this excrementburger?”

(Note: I had to replace the word I want to use with ‘excrement’ because it got blacked out!)

(UsedToBeT2D) #26

Salesmen always bring big boxes of doughnuts to the office…45 lbs ago, I used to eat some, now after everyone else in the office has pillaged, I take the the remaining doughnuts to the vagrants who hover on the street corner near my workplace. They think I am a great guy. Little do they know.

(Laura) #27

I just say that I don’t eat sugar and that is the end of it. No one cares if I don’t want whatever it is.

(Jane) #28

More for them! lol

If I am at someone’s house for a meal. I eat what I am served. I’ll accept a dessert and let it sit. If asked to try it, I will. If it’s nice, I’ll say it’s nice. I’ll ride the sugar rush into a conversation. Usually there is a handy sugar addict near-by who will say, “I’ll have that, if you can’t finish it.”

I once tried to take my own steak to a pasta night. I went home with the steak. That experiment went well, or did not go well. Either way I learned from it.

The following day after a dinner party, I’ll fast, check my blood glucose and blood ketones, and at the right time, I get back to normal low carb eating.

Personally, I think the social aspects of this question are fascinating and speak to food as a social tool, rather than a metabolic disease tool. I enjoy being social. My culture is middle European and my wife’s culture is Italian.

(Laurie) #30

What a minefield it is. I’m at the point now where I refuse all dinner invitations.

I used to make exceptions, give into temptation or pressure, and fall off the wagon. But now my digestive problems are such that I simply can’t eat plants. And I don’t want to deal with the inevitable comments and questions.

“No, thank you, but we could get together for tea or coffee.”

(Bob M) #31

Can you invite them over? Pot-luck style? (Where people bring their own food.) You could set rules, perhaps. Or just only have meat with some veggies and don’t eat the veggies?

I remember inviting people over for burgers. I think I ate OMAD at the time. I ate like 5 burgers (usually in a lettuce wrap) and maybe some hot dogs. I think I freaked them out.

(Laurie) #32

Yes, potluck could be an option.

A couple of years ago I used to attend potlucks that were almost all meat, by preference of the hosts (meat farmers) and the people who attended (some of whom who had food issues).

But for a family dinner, or eating with an individual, it seldoms works out. Better to just say no – for me anyway.