How do you explain carnivore in public?

I know, I know. I shouldn’t have to explain how I eat to anyone, I get it.

But, today’s example…we went to a restaurant and I had the rib eye and didn’t touch the salad or vegetables. And, I put butter on the rib eye. The server asked me if there was anything wrong with the vegetables, and I said no, the steak was just very filling.

This led me to wonder how any of you try and explain carnivore? I mean, I can easily explain keto as a version of low-carb, which everyone gets, but I’m struggling with articulating nose-to-tail carnivore without playing a Paul Saladino or Shawn Baker podcast to them. Any suggestions to help me not mortify my family when eating just meat in a restaurant? :grinning:

(Susan) #2

These are the different options I can think if:

• you could be direct and tell them you are a Keto-Carnivore (as Dr.Darren Schmidt calls it).
    -you could tell them you are only eating meat for now, on a special program (or diet, I hate to use that term for Keto but sometimes people are more understanding with that word).
    -you could tell them you are following a food guide and only eat meat at supper (if you don’t want to mention you are carnivore). This would not be lying, as you do only eat meat at supper, it just omits the fact that it is all you are eating!

('Jackie P') #3

I totally understand, I try to have at least 3 carnivore days a week. I enjoy it, and feel better, but I feel awkward when I eat out with friends or, especially my mum. Bless her she has been brilliant about me doing keto as she has seen my health and shape transform! But she’s 85 and, whilst she can get her head round meat and veg with a knob of butter, I think she would get a bit weirded out if I didn’t eat anything green!
Sorry, not much help, but a little empathy!:slightly_smiling_face:.

('Jackie P') #4

Just a thought! How about if you say "oh I am so full could you do me a 'doggy bag ’ I will eat it later "
Then just give it to the first available rabbit !

(Full Metal KETO AF) #5

I like @Momof5’a idea, Just say “When I eat meat that’s all I eat, no vegetables or starch at the same time”. Completely honest and not weird! Nothing to explain. If your family asks why just say “I have no digestive issues when I eat this way.” Again completely honest and not weird. No need to tell anyone that it’s every meal. :grin:

:cowboy_hat_face:

(Robert C) #6

I don’t think you need to explain Carnivore to everyone - but it might be nice to be helpful.

In your example with the waiter asking about whether anything is wrong with the vegetables - a lesson on how plants create toxic compounds to avoid being eaten or how meat supplies a nutrient dense complete human diet etc. isn’t going to be helpful. The waiter is worried about return business, bad tasting food or plated vegetables looking unappetizing. An experienced waiter has heard and seen everything when it comes to diets. Instead, a simple explanation might help. “There is a new trend called Carnivore where we only eat meat.” and a suggestion of maybe adding the text to their menu “If you would like your steak Carnivore style we will skip adding potatoes and vegetables to avoid waste.”

Basically, know your audience. Someone that really wants to learn should get your time, your ideas on how to find out more on YouTube, how much better you feel etc.

Generally, you’ll run into people that see Carnivore just as restrictive as being Vegan. Why go all-meat or no-meat if it is obvious that humans gained a significant evolutionary advantage being able to handle both? These people are probably a waste of breath and won’t be swayed.

I think, put your effort into where it might win hearts and minds.

(Cristian Lopez) #7

Just say your doing an AIP diet and you have an Auto immune disorder.

Shuts up any waiter I know😂

Fr if you feel really uncomfortable just say this.

(Cecile Seth) #8

[This next authored by @Rajseth]
I know what you really mean you animal hater. You mean use it as bait to lure the rabbit and then make rabbit stew :open_mouth: :open_mouth: :open_mouth: True Carnivore you are.

I am going to have to report this behavior to PETA
(People Eating Tasty Animals - What did you think? :rofl::rofl:)

(Kristen Ann) #9

I tell my family its an elimination diet for autoimmune disorders.

(Michael - When reality fails to meet expectations, the problem is not reality.) #10

Maybe it’s an age thing. I’m 74 and couldn’t care less what anyone thinks about what I eat or don’t. If anyone asks, and that is rarely, I say I eat keto and I’ve had all the carbs I want today, thank you.

In the case of a concerned server who wonders if I found a rotten tomato in the salad and might bad mouth the restaurant: It’s the best salad I’ve tasted since I was on the Mediterranean diet. Great vinegar and olive oil. What brand of olive oil? I’d like to buy that. Thanks and have a great day.

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #11

Just order the meat and specify no salad or veggie. Then there is no wasted food. When I eat out I change all starchy/carby sides for salad/veggies. There shouldn’t be any issue specifying no sides :grinning:

My joking side thought “well, carnivore is just the opposite of vegetarian” :yum:

(Full Metal KETO AF) #12

@KetoCancerMom Vegan Bacon is delicious, as long as it’s made from fatty insulin resistant vegans! :joy::joy::grin::cowboy_hat_face:

(Mother of Puppies ) #13

Evil. Genius.

Please only use your powers for good

(Cancer Fighting Ketovore :)) #14

Soylent Green 2.0?

would you have to explain anything if it were the other way around?

('Jackie P') #16

:joy::joy::joy::joy:So ridiculous! This really made me giggle!

(Hyperbole- best thing in the universe!) #17

My standard response when I get weird looks is, “I know. I eat weird. It’s okay, don’t worry about it.”

Basically, it is, “Let me introduce you to this elephant in the room. He’s very nice and unobtrusive. Continue to ignore him, it won’t hurt his feelings. But he’s friendly and will talk with you if you wish.”

All, thank you for the great replies (just logging back on now!). I’m not a fan of lying or suggesting I have a disorder/allergy as folks in my family have legit chronic health issues, and that’d be very disrespectful to them. I like the doggie bag idea, which makes sense because often the steak/prime rib is huge, so it’s plausible i wouldn’t eat the veggies. I think I’ll go with that idea, especially since someone else in my family might eat them later.

Another good alternative I drew from this thread is, “The steak I had last time was so big and delicious, I’m going to do that again, but I know I won’t have any room for the veggies, so I’m going to skip those tonight.” That should solve it!

Ask the waiter if they’ve seen Jurassic Park. Then, if they remember the scene with the kids talking about veggie-saurus and meat-a-saurus. If they say “yes”, just tell them you’re a meat-a-saurus. :grinning:

Not feeling quite that sassy? Then, you could just say you’re a meat-a-tarian, instead of a vegetarian.

(mole person) #20

I think telling the truth is always best. You don’t need to give a discertation to support it.

“I’m sure they are delicious but I don’t eat vegetables anymore.”

If they ask why, which they likely won’t, you can go on a bit. In my case I say something like:

“I’ve found several health problems have cleared up since eliminating them and after looking into some research I’ve become unconvinced that they actually offer any unique health benefits to me that I cannot get from healthy meats and fats.”

Don’t worry if they think you are mad or stupid. It could be that they are one person who needs to hear the idea.

The truth makes the world better.