How do you create your n=1 experiments?

(Angie Cummings) #1

I’ve been keto since March 9 to lose weight and I’m really enjoying it so far and I have been devouring as much information as I can. All of the information is great but I realize that I need to come up with what works best for me since I fully intend on this being for life. I have already made tweaks here and there from the beginning that just seemed to come naturally but I would like to really dial it in.

I have several questions regarding what is the best way to determine what changes should be tried and when to know if they are effective or not.

• What is the best time frame to test if a variable has an effect? (a week, a month, longer/shorter)
  • When should you give up if it doesn’t seem to be working at all or seems to be causing a negative effect (not a dangerous effect but a jump in the scale for example)?
  • How many variables can you test at a time? (e.g., if I’m doing ADF should I also be seeing if exercise has an effect?)
  • How do you record your experiments?
  • What variables would you recommend someone explore?

Any other tips or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. This is the first diet where I have been cognizant of how it makes me feel rather than just weight loss and it makes me excited to try new things so I can feel my very best.

(charlie3) #2

My n=1 experiment is to test a way to grow muscle and lose or not increase body fat at the same time. For 6 says I eat 300 calories more than maintenance, on average. On the 7th day I eat nothing. I figure it will take at least 3 months to see if it works and probably 6 months iis more realistic.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #3

I don’t really follow a guideline.
I have started experimenting with testing.
I gave a week to OMAD to see if it made a difference to my weight and when it didn’t I incorporated fasting, which definitely broke my stall.
I am not really doing a lot of testing at this time, I am happy with my progress after my stall period.

(charlie3) #4

Once in a while it should be okay to represent the people who are doing keto but aren’t trying to lose weight. The 25 or 30 pounds, what ever it was is gone. I’m not trying to get leaner for fear it will interfere with growing lean tissue. I don’t mind getting leaner so long as I’m getting stronger. My pipe dream is to put back the 25 pounds as muscle at may be 1/4 pound per week. If I could keep that up for 2 years and stay this lean I would look like Superman in retirement.

(Tricia) #5

@ava_ad0re, hi! How are you doing your fasting? What do you eat before? During? After? How long is your fast? Do you drink coffee?

(KCKO, KCFO) #6

I just tried one variable at a time.

I started doing keto for two weeks, I liked the results and have not looked back.

I have tired other things for like a month, went no dairy, without yogurt, I noticed I did not drop weight, I added it back in, and I started losing again. I did have less mucus when my sinus acted up but the weight loss was more important at the time to me.

I tried fasting for a month and BOOM last stubborn 15+ lbs. were gone, so fasting is part of my WOE and I have not regained those lost pounds.

I share my experiences with MFPals and on these forums. I do have a Notes program I can record some info on but I rarely do that. I did keep the graph showing my fasting weight loss.

Variables would depend on your goals.

(Angie Cummings) #7

Have you done some testing to see where your lean muscle to fat ratio is now or are you doing it based on how you look and feel? How did you decide on the 300 calories more? Thanks for your reply–it is helpful to see people doing all sort so different testing.

(Angie Cummings) #8

What kind of fasting did you try? I’m doing ADF right now and it seems to be going well but I’m fairly early on in my journey and I have a lot to lose so that could be it as well.

(Angie Cummings) #9

Very useful information. Thank you for sharing. What type of fasting did you incorporate and do you think if you stopped now the weight would come back? I’ve fallen into fasting somewhat naturally so I think it is something that could be sustained but I also realize that things can change long term.

My goals are mostly to lose weight but there are some other things that could be improved as well such as some achy joints (which could go away with more more weight loss or could be caused by certain things I’m eating). A lot of the things I thought couldn’t be improved seems like they could be and I would like to give myself the best chance to make those improvements.

(charlie3) #10

I look in the mirror for body fat. The consensus of resistance trainers seems to be that you have to eat surplus calories to increase muscle mass and 300 calories extra per day seems to be considered adequate. I’m not convinced that excess calories are required but may be I can have things both ways with this experiment. 300 calories is convenient for my purpose because 300 x 6 days = 1800 calories. My age adjusted BMR is 1400 calories plus a 400 calorie walk is 1800.

Today is Saturday. I’ve taken a walk and sipping zero calorie flavored water. Below records today and the preceeding week.

Screenshot_2018-07-28-09-35-31

The values below are averages for today and the preceeding 6 days. The 25 calorie surplus x 7 = 175 calories extra for the week, a trivial amount. My theory is my body will burn fat today, not muscle tissue so may be I was able to grow a bit of muscle without adding to body fat. Time will tell.

(KCKO, KCFO) #11

I think the weight would come back if I started eating my former levels of carbs. When I have just done IFing a few days a week. I saw no big gains. I stayed within my 3 lbs. range. I have set for myself. Since I don’t enjoy breakfasts all that much, I haven’t tried 3 square meals daily. That happens only occasionally, usually when we take a road trip or have guests who expect them.

I started doing IF fasting, worked up to 18/6 days. Then took the plunge to longer fasting with my first Zornfast. Went from Wed. night dinner to Sunday breakfast on that one. I then played around with 36/48/72 hr. fasting, just fasting as long as it felt good.

This week I am experimenting with ADF. I hadn’t done that one before now. It is easy and I haven’t regained the lbs. I just dropped in July’s Zornfast. I do participate in those each month. Again going as long as it feels good.

I just reread my original post. I did not fast 30 days straight (month) I did the above mix of fasting protocols. I think it is good to keep your body guessing, much as you would as a hunter gather type person would be forced to do. While I enjoy fasting, I don’t think I could do a 30 day one. If I had a lot of weight to lose, I might attempt it under medical supervision. Megan has mentioned in podcasts how at their clinic just IFing get you there, just takes longer, extended asters lose quicker than IFers, but they all get results. Personal choice comes into play.

Hey Angie,

I only wanted to add one thing to this conversation, which is very interesting. I’m sure every woman is different, but one thing that interferes regularly with my n=1 experiments (essentially throwing everything off and making results unreliable) is my monthly shark week. I am definitely one of those women who have signs of some insulin resistance (bloating, increased weight, higher fasting blood glucose, and just FYI I’m not diabetic) in the week or so preceding every period. So if I plan to tweak something and observe results, and I hope to spend less than a month doing it, I find I have to time it so shark week doesn’t interfere. I know this is a common phenomenon, but it may or may not be the case for you.

(Angie Cummings) #13

Yes, I definitely experience things being different around that time of the month although I tend to be the opposite of most women and my weight actually goes down but then goes up the week after. I was thinking that taking at least a month to test things makes the most sense but I also don’t want to derail things by spending too much time on something that just isn’t working. Good advice to try to time shorter experiments when things are more normal. One of the biggest benefits I’ve received from keto so far is improvements in my period. It has become more regular and my cramps are almost non-existent.

(Angie Cummings) #14

Thanks for sharing. I would be interested to see what your results are in 3 months and any changes you made along the way.

(Angie Cummings) #15

How do you determine how to mix up the fasts? Do you change every week or every month? I’m trying the ADF for two days a week right now and typically end up doing IF the rest of the time because I don’t like breakfast either. I plan on testing it for a month and then changing it up–what would be your recommendation to try next? Thanks!

(KCKO, KCFO) #16

I just mix it up according to how I am feeling. Vora tells me, July 4th I ended a 38 hr. fast, July 10th, a 46 hr. fast July 12th, 18 hrs. July 13th 24 hrs., July 18th 51hrs., July 20th 21 hrs. July 21st 23 hrs. I have done intermittent fasting since then, plus my ADF, I didn’t track those in Vora, my fasting app of choice. So no rhyme or reason to it all. Just going by how I feel. BTW, it is great to realize you can just listen to yourself and respond to your body’s needs.

Only constant for me is the Zornfast, in bold above, 95 hrs total fasting over that fasting period. The support is great and there are tons of experienced fasters to help out with any issues you might encounter. And yes it is fine to stop a fast, refeed, and dive back in.

(Angie Cummings) #17

This is great help and makes total sense. I never thought I could do a 24 hour fast and now I’m regularly doing 40 2x a week but mixing it up after I finish this month sounds like a good idea.

I’ve been keto for roughly 3 months and Omad for 2. I’ve done 3, 3 day water fasts and a 2 day fast in that time. My bodyfat is melting.
I have no idea how to maintain weight on keto yet since I’m still losing but I’ve sure figured out how to lose it.
I’m down 50 lbs.

(Angie Cummings) #19

Wow, that is great Kris. Thanks for sharing your experiment.