How do I use fat as snacks

I’m new and have been reading the forum prior to starting Keto next week. I keep reading people saying reduce carbs (understood), eat 25% protein (understood) and the rest fat–AND, if you’re still hungry, eat fat.

How does one accomplish eating more fat if still hungry but have reached carb and protein levels?

(Allie) #2

Search keto fat bomb recipes.

(Alex) #3

it’s easier than it might seem at first. some of my personal favorite diet staples include avocado, sour cream, cream cheese, olives & pecans, all of which are tasty, keto-friendly foods that consist mainly of fat. also adding butter and/or olive oil to anything you’re cooking on the stove-top (fatty cuts of meat, eggs, etc) is a good way to fatten up your meal. buy bacon ends and pieces (super fatty) and hang onto the grease (store it in a container in your fridge) for future cooking endeavors. lots of options available. best of luck

(Allie) #4

You learn with time too. When you notice hunger, use that as a signal to add more fats (mayo, healthy oils, butter) to your next meal.

Forget about percentages and ratios. Focus on keeping the carbs low (to stay in ketosis) and on getting enough proteins (your body needs them). After that, fat and calories should be based on your hunger level. Early on, your hunger may cause you to eat more calories. Once you’ve been in ketosis a while, the hunger should decrease, as your body starts using stored fat and doesn’t need as much consumed fat.

If you’re still hungry after what you planned to eat, eat something that is mostly fat, maybe some proteins, but as few additional carbs as possible. It’s OK to go above on protein. It’s a lower limit.

I have high-fat foods I need to avoid because I get too many calories – bacon, sausage, cheese, butter.

(Full Metal KETO AF) #6

I have never made or tried a fat bomb. My favorites are salami, pepperoni, cheeses, avocados, olives, a teaspoonful of organic EV coconut oil, pork rinds or a hard boiled egg.

Nuts like macadamia, pecans, walnuts, Brazil, hazelnut, almonds. Beware of cashews (they are fruits not nuts) and pistachio, they are higher carb. Peanuts are legumes and not recommended for keto. Raw nuts or dry roasted are best. Many salted nuts are fried in crap oils. Salty nuts are easier to over consume. 1-2 ounces is a serving.

If you have a little time to cook:

Try pork rind natcho’s or dipping them in guacamole. Make cheese crisps. Tons of possibilities when you start eating differently and let go of the old go to snacks…chips, sweets, breads etc.