How do I know if I need more iodine?

(Empress of the Unexpected) #1

I use sea salt exclusively. Trying to cut out dairy, but eat fish two to three times a week. Read through the iodine threads but don’t want to start experimenting with supplementing. Can I get enough from foods, or should I use iodized salt for part of my salt intake? Only other background info is my TSH is 0.36. I feel fine. How does one know if they are lacking iodine?

(Ivy) #2

What sea salts have the most iodine?
I want to know if I am able to go get iodine at the grocery store.

i.e. bang for your buck

I was thinking starting out with either of these:
Eden Foods Sea Salt – 14 oz

Vitamin Shoppe iodine drops, 2 oz

Lugol’s iodine

Nascent

Iodoral

(Carnivore for the win) #3

Use the search function. There are some good threads on iodine

(Ivy) #4

I already did. Please be aware some posters that are beginners are not 0% in their mindset. Thanks anyways. No offense. This is happening alot with replies Im getting and search function applications

(Carnivore for the win) #5

I noticed that. But it is true that the search function and just reading abunch of posts help to educate prior to asking a bunch of questions. You are asking alot of questions that have been thoroughly answered and discussed on this forum

(Ivy) #6

All I got was that its ok as long as I strain it and throw away the whey, and there isnt one clear-cut answer. You didnt give me yours, neither did anyone else, and greek yogurt full fat seems to be the answer, and kicking dairy to the curb seems to be #n1
But yeah, I do know I have a job and didnt have the energy to get answers quick enough. Im sorry for that Elliot

(Carnivore for the win) #7

KCKO. No need to get frustrated

(Edith) #8

I do believe if salt has iodine, it has been added. I don’t think salt has iodine naturally. So, any sea salt you find that is iodized, if that’s what you are looking for, should be fine.

I just use a drop of Lugols about twice a week when I remember. :grinning:

(Ivy) #9

its hard to tell whichm

(Bacon is a many-splendoured thing) #10

There’s a fine balance between asking questions and doing preliminary research. The Ketogenic Forums are different from the type of social media group most people are accustomed to, because our search function actually works, and this often confuses newcomers.

The Facebook search algorithm, for example, is deliberately designed not to provide useful information, which is why the Dudes started these forums to begin with. But it does mean that newcomers to this site often arrive having been trained to ask questions instead of using the search function.

Of course, this also means that, from the old-timers’ perspective, it’s often a case of “haven’t we already answered that?” Unfortunately, the newcomer doesn’t necessarily know about all those previous similar questions. People can also feel that their question is different enough from other questions already posted on the same subject and does need to be asked. Nothing wrong with that.

So let’s all please remember to be patient and kind with one another. If there’s anything your admin staff really doesn’t want to see, it’s animosity. A good rousing debate can be great fun, just so long as we don’t treat one another roughly in the process.

(Bob M) #11

I think iodine is tough. Supposedly, the iodine added to salt sublimates (basically, evaporates), meaning that if you leave salt out for a while, it no longer has the iodine that’s written on the container.

The list of iodine-containing foods isn’t comforting:

The only things I eat off of there are yogurt, eggs, cheese. Lately, I’ve been eating few eggs and not much cheese. How much iodine am I really getting?

And I wonder how much iodine is even in, say, eggs? Since chickens are what they eat, do I really know what’s in the eggs I’m eating?

This reminds me that I have some Lugol’s at home and may have to have a drop or two.

The other side of the issue is testing. Basically, there are no good tests for iodine. Even the supposed “accurate” ones, where you take a big hit of iodine in the morning, then gather all your urine for 24 hours, aren’t great.

That’s why I usually just take some drops of Lugol’s every once in a while, when I remember to do so.

I simply use salt with iodine, never bothered with any research :slight_smile: It seems to work this far. Iodinized salt is advised here as tap water contains very little iodine and it’s easy to buy in any shop. That’s it.
I am glad it’s something I super easily can supplement, without taking anything extra. I eat salt anyway…

(Bob M) #13

Some of the iodine is lost though. Consider this:

Study on iodine loss from salt

Then, there’s this, by a woman whose book I read:

http://iodineresearch.com/debunked.html

Interesting but what use it has to most people? I don’t store the salt for that long, far from it and it’s probably true for most who cook their own food… But my house almost never is that dry either. More like 60-70% (or more but then comes the dehumidifier). But I don’t even know how much salt is enough if my goal is getting enough iodine… I just use the salt and hope for the best. It’s probably the right course for me.

(Bob M) #15

@Shinita I don’t know whether it’s true, and it’s impossible to test without equipment.

It just means that trying to determine how much iodine you’re getting is basically impossible.

Anyway, since I’m trying to fast 36 hours today, last night I took a few drops of Lugol’s. I do seem warmer today, but I also made sure I ate a lot last night. Like many of my tests, there are two modifications, so I can’t tell whether one or both helped. Or neither, and it’s happenstance.