How can I reset my body? Struggling with bloating

(341bfd617a1bab56c0c5) #1

I had a decent Thanksgiving dinner. I only added about a cup of stuffing to my plate of ham and I can’t seem to get ride of bloating. It’s been almost a week and I am struggling. Did a cup of stuffing really throw everything off? Are there any tips to reset my body? I’m a month into ketosis so not yet familiar with any tips that may help.

Try a 36-hour water-only fast to get you kick started again.

And edit your thread title so it reflects your concern more accurately.

(341bfd617a1bab56c0c5) #3

Thank you. I’ve hesitated doing a water fast but I will try it. I’ve wondered if that would lead me to eat more than I should once the fast is over. I will do my best. Changing to a Keto lifestyle has been great so far.

(Omar) #4

did you drink coffee 30 minutes before or 2 hours after the meal?

in my case coffee is a major bloating source.

(341bfd617a1bab56c0c5) #5

I drink a bullet coffee every morning.

(Omar) #6

I borrowed this reply from another thread.

When I’ve eaten above my carb threshold, there are two things that help me “process” the food and restore ketosis. The first is water fasting and the second is doing weight training or HIT cardio. It usually takes 1-3 days, as determined by measuring my morning blood glucose, which I try to keep in the 70-85 mg/dL range.

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #8

You could try a probiotic. You may need some assistance getting your flora back on track.

(341bfd617a1bab56c0c5) #9

I was also thinking maybe it was stress. But, I will try the water fasting and a probiotic may also help. Now coffee will be hard to cut.

Might be a good idea to go read this thread.

Fasting is great but not necessarily the right answer when you’re still new at Keto. My suggestion, get ENOUGH good fats in your body and get fat adapted again. MCT oil, butter, healthy oils, steak. Your body will heal and clean out the effects of that stuffing if it has enough of the good stuff fueling it.

(Katie the Quiche Scoffing Stick Ninja ) #11

I am curious why you suggest this to people when you aren’t even sure if they are fat adapted yet?

Because fasting can be an answer to many problems, be they emotional, physical or psychological. Not a panacea, no doubt, but a solid option for someone who knows nothing else to do at the moment. It gives time for the body to settle and sort things out. It gives a person something to focus on, something positive to do while learning the long-term solution. It lends hope to people who are looking for just that, hope.

Fasting 36 hours or even 24 teaches a person the discipline that will be needed in this keto journey — which I understand and embrace. Too often we try to tell those new to keto that this is an easy path, a simple WOE, a painless one.

And, I personally believe that one does not have to be fat adapted to undertake a 24-36 hour fast. It is done regularly and often. Beneficially. Successfully.

A water fast is, obviously, not the answer for everyone in every case. But it is a hell of a tactic when a person is about to quit and give up.

I yield the soap box.

Eating is essential. Fasting isn’t. I would rather someone learn the discipline of eating the right kinds of food that can make them live a happy, healthy life for a long time.

Fasting has benefits, but so does a fat bank account, and I’m living okay without one.

I admitted that fasting is not a panacea, a cure for everything. But it is a tool toward a restart. The OP asked for such a tool. I offered one.

And I don’t think fasting is like a big bank account but rather like not going shopping on Black Friday. :grin:

I just skip the crowds and order from Amazon.

(341bfd617a1bab56c0c5) #17

Yea, I guess I will just keep sticking to it. Fasting is so hard for me. I’m 5 weeks in so I just have to see what works best for me.

Fasting changed my life. Based on my experience, the second day of a fast makes me a super hero. Fasting also cures any bloat I might be experiencing.

(Orrin) #19

I did zero carb for 2 months recently.Any gut discomfort and bloating was gone in the first 2 days.Ate like 2.5lbs of meat a day too.Just an idea.