How bad is peanut butter WITH partially hydrogenated vegetable oil?

I hate pure peanut butter made with zero oil and sugar. I suspect it is the sugar I am missing and the oil adds no flavor effect but no brand makes peanut butter without oil but with sugar. It’s either oil and sugar or just peanuts and salt, no in between.

I am a keto veteran and ate regular and/or palm oil containing peanut butter almost every day for a year while staying in ketosis, gaining muscle and losing 35 pounds of fat, so I know the small amount of sugar does not negatively affect my progress.

I love regular peanut butter but am wary of the oils.

How bad are these oils on a ketogenic diet?

Also, what of palm oil? Is it better? I know that if palm oil is heated and cooled too many times it becomes bad for us to consume it and I wouldn’t put it past food manufacturers to heat and cool it a whole heck of a lot while processing it and then making it into peanut butter. So I’m wary of that stuff as well.

(Todd Allen) #2

partially hydrogenated oils = trans fats, the stuff many places are banning due to the health concerns.

(Damon Chance) #3

I am a peanut butter addict… here is what I do. I buy the peanut and salt version. Freshly ground or whatever. Then I pour out the separated oil and put an equal amount of melted coconut oil. I then add a bit of sweetener. Usually Pyure ore swerve.

Then I put stir it all up and put it in the fridge. The coconut oil sets it up really nice.

Currently I’m not keeping any in the house because it’s way to easy for me to shove 4 to 6 tbsp of it in my mouth before I realize it.

There’s little reason to buy jar peanut butter. It’s very easy to make at home. Or patronize a grocery store that has a self serve fresh ground butter machine.

My love of peanut butter has been supplanted by pecan butter.

(Chris) #5

Peanuts and salt should be the only ingredients.

(Sarah Herlihy) #6

Hi Fry
Im interested in this thread also but wanted to ask a fellow keto-vegetarian for some advice. What do you eat in an average day? I feel like i am too carb heavy from the limited vegies i eat. Im beginning to miss all my vegies. I have only been eating broccoli, cauliflower, spinach and cucumbers on the regular but i want huge portions not tiny ones! What do you eat?

(Sarah Herlihy) #7

I only do natural nut butters and have them as my once per week cheat meal as i struggle to put the lid back on an opened container and i know that if i am having them i will be having a very high calorie day.

I buy the sugar free 85% less fat peanut butter powder and mix with coconut oil to hydrate it

@brownfat

Thank you I actually did not know that!!!

@Sarah_Herlihy

Sorry I actually said “keto veteran” not "vegetarian. I have heard that vegetarian ketoers sometimes add coconut milk (the kind used for cooking, not the milk substitute stuff) and other vegetable fats to their diet to add fat for calories, though I really have no idea and am not the person to answer that question, sorry! You do need a lot of fat though as far as I know and this cannot be just from the veggies you listed, again, I have no idea what I am talking about but this is what I have heard.

@d_to_the_c

How do you mix it? It’s so thick!

(Damon Chance) #12

Well the kind that needs stirred is usually loose enough to stir at room temp. I use a butter knife to get into the corners of the jar but I have thought about emptying it and using a mixer and pouring it back in.

If you want to go nuts mix in some cocoa powder and unsweetened coconut flakes…

(Sarah Herlihy) #13

I obviously cannot read and just got excited! Hahahahhaa. Apologies.

(Ross) #14

Here is a helpful link on oils that are OK to use on a Keto diet per Dr. Noakes.

Oils and Fats - which to avoid and which to use, not only for Banting, but for life.

(Ross) #15

Will the new Dietary Guidelines make us even fatter?

Further, Dr, Eades has a bit of a theory that these oils may be the real driver of the obesity epidemic (drive metabolic damage)…or at least it took the double whammy of changing over to these industrial hydrogenated oils AND the increase in cabs in the diet…carbs alone prob wouldn’t produce the observed results.

IIRC these hydrogenated oils were initially created for industrial wax production and not intended for human consumption.

If it were me, I’d run the other way. I am making an effort to avoid such oils at all costs even when rarely eating out at a restaurant…and that is sadly difficult to do.

(Daniel Crispin) #16

Ok, so to make peanut butter all I have to do is shove peanuts in a food processor? I have to try that!

The question I have is this… on what do you eat it? Can’t eat bread, so what is a good item to put the peanut butter on? Not gonna eat it by the tablespoon, I really doubt I would enjoy that.

Also, is the same true for all nuts? Simply shove almonds or cashew in a food processor and blend until has has the right consistency?

Why would you remove the peanut oil and replace it with coconut oil? Is peanut oil bad for you?

Very interesting topic!

(Allie) #17

Any partially hydrogenated oils should be avoided.
I get PB that is 100% peanuts, occasionally one with added salt too.

(Sheri Knauer) #18

Ive always been tempted to bring my unopened jars of PB to my local home improvement/paint stores and ask them to put them in the paint mixing machine for a minute or two, lol.

(Damon Chance) #19

I definitely eat it by the tablespoon… You could also try some of the low carb tortilla recipes or mug bread recipes. I have a jar that is mine only and I eat right out of it… The res t of the family has a separate jar… they eat it on bread (for now).

I haven’t made any nut butters but I think I Will try it this week at some point. Pecan butter sounds awesome.

I heard on the Ketovangelist podcast that peanut butter is a hot topic in the keto world. Basically, some think peanuts are the devil and some people eat them daily with no issues. I’ve been using almond butter for this reason but I wonder if using peanut butter would be ok? I guess I’ll have to try it and see how I react.