Hot chocolate

(George) #1

Has anyone found a decent hot chocolate that is keto friendly ?

Thanks

Heavy cream+cocoa powder+sweetener.

(Laurie) #3

I used to drink just cocoa powder + hot water from the kettle. One rounded teaspoon of cocoa powder in a cup – same as if you’re making instant coffee. I enjoyed it, but it always left a bit of sludge in the bottom of the cup.

A better (but slower) way was to heat the cocoa powder and water together in a pot, stirring with a wooden spoon. Smoother result, and no sludge.

I didn’t miss the sweetener. Cream is nice, but optional.

I went from @SporkyDonkey’s style to @islandlight’s :smiley: The later is fine for me but it’s a bit ascetic. If I want a luxurious one, it must have whipped cream with vanilla and possibly clove, one of my fav spices on the top :smiley: I use sweetener in that case too.

But I am usually fine with my coffee and I don’t need sweetener for it since ages. Unsweetened cocoa or hot chocolate came much later.

(Laurie) #5

I sometimes added a few drops of Lemon Hart rum or Jameson’s Irish whiskey, for just a hint of flavor. That way I still got that indulgent feeling, but without all the sweet and fancy stuff.

(George) #6

Wow, these sound delicious and I can’t wait to give them a try.

Thanks

I do heavy cream + low carb chocolate, proper way is to break up the chocolate and add it to cream you heat up on the stove first and whisk constantly until its all melted. I usually am lazy though and use the microwave. Just be careful not to scorch the cream and warm it up first before adding the chocolate in pieces. I don’t feel it needs added sugar if you use a high quality chocolate in the first place. ~ .5 c cream to 2squares chocolate. I use Green and Blacks 85% or sometimes lindt if they don’t have it, but lindt is less good I think. This is based on french hot chocolate, that would probably make a french person shudder but its where I got the idea anyhow.

('Jackie P') #8

This is my joy!

(Jane Reed) #9

For a slightly less rich or glamorous drink, put some coconut milk/beverage in a mug, add enough cream to give it some body, sweeten it, and put in a tablespoon of cocoa powder. Heat on top of stove (stirring frequently), or in microwave oven until hot and stir very well. Personally I prefer coconut beverage rather than nut milks as its flavor is far less pronounced in the presence of the other ingredients.

You won’t be able to find an “instant” mix on the market that qualifies as keto. Someone might label it keto but it won’t be. You’ll have to make it yourself. You may have to spend an agonizing 30 seconds extra to assemble the ingredients but it’s worth it.