Honey, Bees, and quotes about ancient foods - my Paleo-Keto quest

ancient-history
literature
keto-paleo
gardening
local-food

Lately I’ve been collecting some interesting quotes and info - sharing here in case someone enjoys.

Have been on a quest to learn about eating raw honeycomb in very small quantities (obv only for those who are well established in being fat-adapted, and non-IR folks and those without food addiction issues - also, not for use in baking or cooking - as the active enzymes in honey are destroyed above 60 degrees C140 degrees F, so if you put it in hot tea, you get just sweetness and flavor, but if you let the tea cool down more, you get the bioactive compounds).

Better to eat it raw for health benefits. Traditionally in europe, honeycomb was eaten with cheese, that sounds very yummmmmy! Though I don’t have a ‘sweet tooth’ per se I do enjoy adding a sweet taste as part of my meal or my palate for some things on occasion. And erythritol and stevia just don’t sweeten certain foods right unless one uses quite a bit of them - whereas with raw honey, a dab is quite concentrated!

It’s important to know the ethics of any farmer you buy raw honey from. Some 85% of bee farmers feed the bees HFCS through winter, and rob honey from them all year (rather than just once a year, in a bee-respecting proportion, as do traditional beekeepers). Also ask if they treat their bees with Miticides for treatment of mites too. Sadly most big supermarket store honey in the US is ultra-filtered to remove the pollen and hence the ability to determine the whether honey source is legitimate or safe - and most of what is called honey is not - it’s adulterated and highly processed. However wonderful organic/authentic raw honey can be found at Trader Joe’s, Natural Grocers, and Whole Foods.

I’ve also been learning more about traditional beekeeping’s ethics vs. industrial agriculture’s, the current bee colonies collapse, and the touchstone species of pollinators in general, including the gentle & incredibly smart non-stinging Mason bees who don’t make honey, but are prodigous pollinators. I’m intent on helping multiply pollinators on my patch of land regardless of whether they produce honey or not - so am getting ready to plant some wild flowering bee pasture seed mix that does really well in my arid region, hoping to attract more pollinators!

Plus, am planning to make a keto custard/flan this Christmas - topped with traditional pine nuts, some melted ghee, and a bit of honeycomb like this:

custard

“Butter and honey shall he eat, that he may know to refuse the evil, and choose the good.” Isaiah 7:15

“You shall have enough goats’ milk for your food, for the food of your household, and the nourishment of your maids.” Proverbs 27 : 27

“Pleasant words are a honeycomb, Sweet to the soul and healing to the bones.” Proverbs 16:24

“If you find honey, eat just enough - too much of it, and you will vomit.” Proverbs 25:16

“If Jehovah delights in us, then Jehovah will bring us into this land
…a land which flows with milk and honey.”
Numbers 14:8

“And the people did rejoice and did feast upon the lambs and toads and tree-sloths and fruit-bats.”
Monty Python Book of Armaments, Chapter 2, Verse 21

“I dreamt – marvellous error! – that I had a beehive here inside my heart. And the golden bees were making white combs and sweet honey from my old failures.” ~ Antonio Machado

species

In ancient Ayurveda medicine - raw Honey is considered one of the nectars of the 5 Divine Nectars. The rejuvenating Panchamrita food is mentioned several times in the Mahabharata, and contains raw yogurt, boiled milk, raw honey, ghee, and some jaggery/unrefined sugarcane. Being that raw honey is created from the essence of a flower’s sex organs, eastern sciences say it has a natural affinity with reproductive tissue. It can also heal sore throats, eye infections, colds, coughs, ulcers, burns, and wounds. For various illnesses and constitutions, up to 5 teaspoons a day of raw Honey are recommended.

“In the small village I’m from we had a very old custom. On a child’s first day of school, the rabbi would give him a slate on which the first two letters of the Hebrew alphabet were written in honey. The rabbi asked the child to lick up the letters and go on to use the slate to learn to read and write. The child would always remember that learning was sweet like honey.” ~ Abe Opincar, Fried Butter: A Food Memoir

“There is honey in this land sweeter than any I know of, and I have cut cane in places where the dirt itself tasted like sugar, so that’s saying a heap.” ~ Toni Morrison, Paradise

"An almond grower who depends on wind and a few volunteer pollinators in this desert of cultivation can expect only 40 pounds of almonds per acre. If he imports honey bees, the average yield is 2,400 pounds per acre, as much as 3,000 in more densely planted orchards. To build an almond, it takes a bee.”
~ Hannah Nordhaus, The Beekeeper’s Lament: How One Man and Half a Billion Honey Bees Help Feed America

bee%20lady

horizontal%20hives

Strep throat/tonsillitis drama

If bees die off, we’re in big trouble. The mass bee colonie collapses should be a bigger concern than they are (on top of other climate damage). While I do not wish to be around bees, due to phobias, I’m glad there are more people around the city setting up urban bee colonies.

Eff wasps tho

Indeed! How wonderful that even though you have a bee phobia, you still care about them, and empathize with their plight.

Actually I just learned, from the book The Mason Bee Revolution, that wasps/yellowjackets have their benefits too - they kill bugs that threaten bees, and also help with pollinating just by landing on stuff. And, a good trick for keeping wasps away from outdoor meals is to first off give them an offering of some food on a plate, about 20 feet away from the table/patio where there are no humans, which wasps also prefer - a veritable win-win!

(Carl Keller) #4

Great informative and interesting post SBM! I particularly liked this quote:

Beekeepers out there?

Yes indeed, a great Machado quote! :honeybee:

(squirrel-kissing paper tamer) #6

I watched this documentary with my son years ago and we’ve been bee lovers and had much respect for them ever since. I worked on a farm and had the great experience of dipping my toe into bee keeping which was so neat. I also plant flowers they like in my yard and put out little dishes of water with rocks in them (read it on a bee site, so they don’t drown). Have you seen this one?

I started keeping bees when I caught my first swarm in 1965. Before it became fashionable to keep bees, I painted my hive boxes camo colors to hide them, and avoid problem with the neighbors. Eating honey right out of the hive is something I’m still guilty of, even though I occasionally get stung on the tongue. That will make your eyes water! That pure beeswax chews just like gum and keeps giving up the honey for quite a while. Nothing better than home baked bread, slathered with peanut butter and honey. I miss it since my diabetes diagnosis.

Thank you @PetaMarie I haven’t seen it - I must track it down! :honeybee:

@golfpsycho being that I was born in '65, that’s wonderful to know. Oh my - a sting on the tongue? Sounds like some painful apitherapy! I learned recently that acupuncture originally used bees - horrible (or, at least, extremely transcendent…) for the bees and the humans I assume. Yes, pure beeswax chewing is a delightful treat of which I’ve rarely done - hoping to change that.

Since you’re diagnosed IR, you might enjoy these studies I came across in another article I was reading - which indicate that real Honey can be a beneficial adjunct to diabetes medication and lifestyle changes. Even though raw real Honey is rich in sugar, it appears to contain components of its 100+, the Oligosaccharides, that benefit glucose control through helping correct gut microbiome illness. Of course, the researchers frame diabetes as incurable, but diabetes reversal/sustainable natural management is common among the very low carb/keto community! These studies indicate that Honey can help sweeten the IR healing journey - and add keto to it and it might just be powerful medicine!

(Jane) #9

I am a beekeeper and I only feed sugar water in the spring and I do not feed once I put the honey supers on to ensure all the honey is from flower nectar.

I do not use any miticides in my hives and only treat will vaporized oxalic acid after the honey supers are removed.

I also do not heat my honey up or pasteurize it- it is extracted and filtered and bottled - that’s it.

I only have one hive right now and didn’t take any honey last year - left it all for the girls. Still have a couple of bottles from my 2017 harvest and occasionally have a small amount.

That’s so great to know!

I have an Ebay order of 2 orange-blossom honeycomb chunks coming from a gal who follows similar practices. And, yesterday morning, I had a teaspoon of honey along with my usual griddle cake that I’ve bemoaned is unsweetenable - and nibbling on that little spoon did the trick. It made the blueberries burst with flavor, and brought out the butter. I also felt great afterwards - more energized, distinctly from the honey! It’s my new routine for a morning or two per week, and will work in my summer smoothies too - will be ditching most erythritol and stevia - keeping my Honey intake moderate.

Thanks for the link and I’ll give it a read. Ease into the orange blossom honey. It’s pretty strong and some people find it overpowering. I lean more toward water white honeys like sage and alfalfa. I had some hives on a commercial lavender crop, and that was pretty good too. Plum blossoms… oh heck…I like it all!

I don’t heat or pasteurize my honey either. And i try to manage the mites by caging my queens and making late splits in the fall to interrupt the mite reproductive cycle. I leave around 80 lbs of honey on each colony so I only feed in emergency with candy boards i make.

Anyway, enjoy your honey.

(Daisy) #12

I am a massive advocate of raw honey. I have a few local bee keeper friends and I stay well supplied in local raw honey. I made the decision last year to avoid doctors unless critical and started researching more homeopathic type remedies. I have had MRSA, so I’m very wary of taking unnecessary antibiotics. In the last year, my family has avoided at least 7 trips to the doctor for sore throats, strep, coughs and colds by taking a spoonful of raw honey. One of my beekeeper friends just said it’s also amazing for arthritis, which fortunately I don’t suffer from yet, but good to know for the future. I preach raw honey to anyone who will listen and have converted at least a dozen people to its strep/sore throat benefits. Thank you for this write up. Loved the Bible quotes!

You’re very welcome @Ketodaisy ! And… wow! How wonderful that you’ve been taking charge of your family’s preventative health and self-healing - it can be very empowering and calming for a household. :sparkles: Getting wisely “undoctored” as much as possible can be a very good thing - the recent book by the same name, Undoctored, by William Davis M.D. is in that vein. Emergency rooms are great for true emergencies - but there are many so-called emergencies that can be prevented through education on earth medicine.

I’ve not taken pharmaceuticals besides aspirin for over 3 decades (apart from an emergency shoulder injury) - due to having had access to traditional healing information and resources. And since LCHF/keto, I’ve not taken any aspirin! I also have maintained a very healthy skepticism about the many ‘advised’ invasive tests which then involve highly invasive ‘treatments’ that only cure on the surface, rarely if ever healing or tending to the root cause - and often the ‘treatments’ are what literally kills the patient/our loved ones, alas - in a paradigm of cascading (and often profitable) interventions, etc.

YES to Honey-medicine - I’ve been studying and practicing it for about a decade now (it’s mostly why I’ve always bought raw honey, for medicinal uses - though recently am getting into more of the cuisine aspect.). Real, raw honey can save many trips to doctors, definitely. A ‘spoonful of honey’ is not just a trite lyric from a Disney film - it’s a powerful, life-changing medicine.

I helped a friend who with a honey protocol for a strange flesh-destroying wound - I used salt-saturated water for cleanising (it didn’t sting him, which was a relief) and then packed it with raw honey and covered with gauze - all the while careful of my own hygiene - that wound was so awful and had been so fast at destroying tissue. And by the next day, the honey started to draw out enormous amounts of pus (a very good sign of healing) requiring daily gauze changing and more honey. By day 5 the wound had shrunken, closed, and healed to just a small mark - which my friend showed his longtime doctor at his follow up appointment for lab results that day, where he learned that it was indeed MRSA and that a ‘guess’ prescription would’ve been useless anyway. The doctor was amazed at the wound healing, and wanted to know about the protocol, saying he’d ‘heard honey could be great for skin,’ etc.

What a shame though, that physicians (esp in the U.S.) aren’t trained and familiar with Honey medicine (apart from some burn units) - esp in these times when MRSA is a real threat everywhere, and one which conventional medicine has run out of cures for and where some higher tech alternative medicines can be expensive and inedible (such as colloidal silver, etc).

I’ve also used raw Honey for myself and friends’ pink eye, and eye granulomas. Honey before sleep is soporific - sleep inducing - it sweetens the transition to sleep - and when used to boost energy, it also does that! It does either, depending on one’s biodynamic needs, which I find kind of mind-blowing. It’s also excellent for women during physiological/freestanding labor, especially late stage when they’re tired and want to give up - it energizes and lifts the spirits for the final minutes or hours.

In the book The Secret Life Of Bees, by Sue Monk Kidd, she opens each chapter with a quote or phrase about some fascinating bee fact. When I read that one tablespoon of honey is the equivalent of 10,000 bee trips between flowers (or something like that) my jaw dropped and I took a long breath. I’d never quite thought of it that way. And there’s a lot more about bees which is amazing - their geometric perfection and social collaboration. It comforts my soul to know that so much living, humming life is in raw Honey - what a gift in this brief and precious life. I hope the honeybees survive the global colony collapse - am considering every way I might help them in my little patch of earth. I do love them. :honeybee:

Thank you, I shall.

It’s good to know you leave 80 pounds of honey for your bees, with the sugar feeding for emergencies only.

I used to eat small amounts of orange blossom honey years back, it was always my favorite along with Tupelo - but Lavender honey and Plum blossom honey sound heavenly too! Oh heck, I like 'em all I bet.

I just received the Russian traditional beekeeping book “Keeping Bees With A Smile” by Fedor Lazutin - the cover is a jolly Russian country boy in traditional embroidered shirt and red rain boots sitting on a log, holding a piece of honeycomb from which he’s nibbled the corner - the happiest book cover ever. And I learned elsewhere that beekeepers are a very long-living group of tradespeople as a whole - and generally much healthier as a group regardless of other factors.

Though we all die and the natural law of the life-death-life cycle goes on - a little honey sure is heaven on earth!

:honeybee:

(Daisy) #15

Wow, that’s amazing, I didn’t know it could be used in wound care and pink eye! Just more reasons to love it! I am bookmarking this for future use!

I have to be careful using it for more than medicinal purposes. I am a severe sugar addict and although honey doesn’t cause me near the problems that sugar does, it does lead me down similar (lack of self control) paths. I have made many delicious recipes with it, that I devour before I can blink lol. If I take a spoonful for medicine, it’s just that. If I do it not for medicine, one becomes four. Seriously, I have no self control! I’m working on it though.

That is really inspiring to hear that you haven’t used medication. I am working towards that. I have gotten myself off all prescription medicine and only take the occasional OTC. I currently have a mystery rash, so took an allergy pill last night when it was making me crazy! I will also take headache medicine or cold medicine if my oils & honey don’t first do the trick. But I try those things first now. I’ve never had honey not fix the cough or sore throat since I’ve been using it, but do still get the other lingering cold/flu symptoms. Not often though since keto!

Yes indeed you have to be very careful if you have a sweet-addiction tendency, for sure!

The self-discipline it takes to reserve honey only for medicine until your cravings have ceased via LCHF/keto is a good practice for inner strength in the meantime. :sparkles: Sufficient dietary fat is critical to facilitate healing of the nervous system and brain - because they did get burned out on sugar in the past there’s lots of recovery to do hormonally and in the microbiome.

Generating as much Brain Derived Neurotrophic Factor (BDNF) via the MCTs in coconut oil can help a lot, as well as boosting butyrate production by the good bacteria in the gut by feeding them resistant starch and fiber (more threads on that subject in this forum if you search). I imagine that some severe sugar histories - having to do with the same area of the brain related to cocaine and nicotine addiction - mean that one must manage it as a full on addiction for a long time, and possibly all of one’s life - and there may not be much room for ‘moderation’ etc.

More about amazing honey medicine: for topical skin wound care honey doesn’t hurt with application and it instantly soothes. HOWEVER, for the eyes or other inflamed mucous membranes, it does sting/burn a bit for about 30-60 seconds at first, which makes the eyes water which is helpful for flushing them anyway. You just apply a small dab of honey to the tear duct/inner corner and the blinking and watering and rest takes care of everything else. I think that topical administrations for anyone, especially children, go best when first taking some by mouth - it sweetens the experience, helps the brain connect to the source of the bees the and sunshine - and is encouraging to the injured or sickly.

It does require certain compassionate protocols for children and anyone really who’s using the remedy ( a potent natural antibiotic) for the first time. Children who are of a certain age of reasoning (7+ ?) and any newbie adults can handle the temporary sensations well - and esp if they’ve seen others treat themselves. But children younger than that or anyone who is not informed enough may understandably hate it unless they really want to try to avoid the stress of the ER/expenses. My protocol has been to apply at night (or, if able to be home and nap, anytime of day) and then fall asleep - the eye glues shut and does a ton of healing. Then in the morning, gently apply a warm washcloth to wipe of the crust (which may have virus in it if it’s pink eye so don’t reuse the washcloth and handle w/ care). Just after a good night’s sleep, the eye is so much better already that one can make it through the day and then re-apply a treatement before bed again, and so - usually it’s totally resolved in 2 days!

Re pharma medication, yes - it’s quite a cultural journey to get familiar with earth-based medicine but I’ve found it meaningful and rejuvenating! I used to think of aspirin as sort of no big deal - but when I started taking its plant source - white willow bark powder capsules - and I realized it took 6-8 pricey capsules of it to rid me of a headache, I started to understand how concentrated and potent salicylic acid by itself is!

On the other hand, when I had a bad shoulder injury with bursitis ER gave me prescription strength ibuprofin which I took one more dose of before researching and learning the Ginger capsules are an equivalent NSAID for inflammation pain and also is a superfood for the GI tract, etc. Switching to Ginger provided the same pain relief, yet reduced the load on my liver and nourished me - the shoulder was healed within 3 weeks, whereas most folks who have an injury related shoulder bursitis have a frozen shoulder/arm for a year or the rest of their lives and often have to rely heavily on steroid injections to cope with the unresolved pain that returns every 4-6 months.

Small doses of raw real honey can lift the spirits and calm the nervous system as a good adjunct to conventional medicine for many conditions - a good starting place for anyone to learn more about honey medicine. :honeybee:

(Daisy) #17

I may need to look into this. I have so many stomach issues.

Adding this superb article I came across today, published in the Iranian Journal Of Basic Medical Sciences in 2013.

It covers the whole overview on raw honey, citing evidence on the cultural histories of traditional honey medicine, the antimicrobial properties, wound healing applications, GI tract health matters, fungal infections, antiviral effects, opthamology, diabetes, anti-inflammation, anti-oxidation - and a ton more. A great learning resource:

(Liz ) #19

We acquired a Warre hive a few months ago at the start of our Aussie summer. (Warre = natural beekeeping) Accidental honey harvest a few weeks ago when a comb fell off during hive inspection. Now, I’m in it for the bees - I’m the gardener growing the flowers, and grateful for the work they do. I’ve never much liked honey. But - mon dieu - this stuff is sensational. Real honey! Liquid flowers! I’ve been having just a little eg half a tsp every day - didn’t want to lose my fat burning. Thanks for great info re honey. Will pass on the Iranian JBMedSci article to Chief Beekeeper.

So wonderful to know this! Sounds like the universe wanted you to bless you with some of that amazing comb.

Many hours of humming bees and sunshine rays going into it all - and the bees geometry and flight patterns are so amazing. Have been reading a fantastic Scientific American book about bees written by a professor couple who go into great detail about so many things. We need the bees, and they need us these days.