Honey as a sweetener?

(Konata) #1

I’m thinking about making dark chocolate. I don’t like the idea of artificial sweeteners. I was planning on using 1/2 tbsp of honey in the recipe. 1/2 tbsp of honey has 8g of carbs. One square of the dark chocolate would probably have 1-3g of carbs. Would that kick me out of Ketosis?

(Full Metal KETO AF) #2

Whether it will kick you out of ketosis or not would depend on how many carbs you eat in the day. If all you ate was zero carb meat all day you could eat 7-8 squares and stay in ketosis if you’re like the average person here limiting to 20g. carbohydrates.

Some tolerate more carbs and some less. There are people who claim over 5g kicks them out of ketosis and others who say they can eat 50g. or more and stay in ketosis. And some who’ve been eating this way a long time who claim they can eat 100g. or more in an isolated incident and wake up testing positive for ketones the next morning? Not something I really play with much myself. If I eat a bunch I assume that I probably got knocked out for some on the next 24 hours. I don’t test. If you have a blood ketone tester you can determine your personal limit.

If it’s something special you’re making once for the holidays probably not an issue. If you’re going to eat them daily could be something that’s not good for progress. Remember that foods aren’t ketogenic or not. All foods can be included in a ketogenic diet but it’s portion size that matters and whether you can have enough of it to be worthwhile and satisfied with a high carb tiny portion of it. That little square of chocolate could be 120g. of a vegetable instead as far as carbs go. :cowboy_hat_face: