Homemade Keto Gatorade

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #21

Nope @larry. No where near 10. The average lemon yields 2 tablespoons juice at 1 gram carbohydrate per tablespoon :slight_smile:

(Larry Lustig) #22

Huh. Saw someone quote 6 grams for a single lemon.

I stand corrected.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #23

@larry
Now I want to investigate further. It’s been a few years since I looked at lemon juice carbs…
BRB

(Larry Lustig) #24

Looked it up on the USDA database. My figure was for the whole lemon. Oops! However, just the juice from one lemon (48 grams) is given by the USDA as 3.31 grams of carbohydrate. So, according to them, if completely squeezed, two lemons would be 6.5 grams of carbs.

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #25

That’s pretty much what I got. Per tablespoon of juice is only one gram though (yay). I think I used to buy tiny organic lemons at Trader Joe’s. I was lucky if I could get 2 tablespoons juice!

I am always learning something everyday with keto.

(Roxanne) #26

Could that be for eating the entire lemon (with fibre) and not just the juice?

(8 year Ketogenic Veteran) #27

Yep, it was

(Judy ) #28

Thank you all for investigating the lemon and it’s juice.
Based on your research, 8 oz/day of this “keto Gatorade” (w/lemon juice) basically has trace amounts of carbs😎. Which makes me happy because it’s good stuff.

(Jo Lo) #29

Rather than going citrus-based it’s possible to make a good exercise drink based in coconut water (or milk), salt, honey (optional), and molasses. Basic idea is from Mark Sisson’s blog on ‘how to fuel a marathon’. We also add chia seeds, which swell and give you something wet and soft to eat. We only use this on long runs.

(Cliff Arnold) #30

Lol.

(Patrick B.) #31

Alright Picasso…

(Candy Lind) #32

My thoughts exactly! :rofl: