Home made lard smoking!?

(Ms.) #1

I need some direction here. I used a crock pot to render lard from a pastured pig. When I use that lard, it smokes quite easily. Other lard doesn’t do that. Any ideas? Why would it smoke at temperatures other lards don’t? Is it safe to eat? Ideas and feedback welcome!

(Jeff Reisman) #2

Quick question - did you strain/filter the liquidised fat before storing it? When I keep bacon grease to use as lard, I strain it through a coffee filter or paper towel first, and it reheats quite nicely.

(Chris) #3

Pretty sure it has a much lower smoke point than, say, veg or olive oil. I say bring on the smoke! (but I understand if you disagree :slight_smile:)

(Edith) #4

When you say, “other lard,” do you mean typical store bought lard? If that’s the case, the typical store bought lard has been hydrogenated. Maybe that increases its smoke point?

Could your homemade lard have some moisture in it?

Just a couple of guesses. :thinking:

(Bob M) #5

You don’t want smoke. That indicates the PUFAs are degrading, leading to potentially cancerous byproducts.

Maybe your pigs have a higher amount of PUFAs (but that doesn’t make sense, as grain-fed pigs should have higher PUFAs than grass-fed).

(Ms.) #6

I didn’t strain it, but in this jar, I don’t see any flakes or bits of anything.

(Ms.) #7

Not store bought lard. I’ve made lard before and used lard made by the farm where we get pigs. All pastured products. That stuff didn’t smoke.

(Ms.) #8

PUFAs degrading into bad stuff is what I’m concerned about. @VirginiaEdie, there COULD be moisture in it, but I really think it is smoke rather than steam as it seems to turn brown fairly quickly.

I don’t want to pitch the whole batch, but ick. I kinda think that might be the most prudent course of action.

Thanks for helping me think through this, you guys!