Hog jowls, have you ever?

(Jake Burns) #1

Has anyone cooked hog jowls? I’ve always seen them in the store. What is their composition? They look quite fatty to me. Are they just a pig’s extra chins?

I eat pork jowl bacon pretty frequently. It’s made from the cheeks of the pig. It’s like a thicker, fattier piece of regular bacon, depending on how you cut it, and it has the added benefit of being cheaper than regular bacon. I’m surprised it’s not more frequently eaten by Ketoers.

(Jake Burns) #3

I’ll get some tomorrow! Those that I saw were a pretty big hunk. I am thinking maybe in the smoker with applewood chips.

(Chris) #4

Very fatty, very delicious. Takes a long time to render and make tender. My favorite part of whole hog cooking

(Carl Keller) #5

My late great granny used to make bean soup with hog jowl in it for flavor. It was the best bean soup I ever had in my life. I’ve never tried hog jowls by themselves but I definitely wouldn’t pass them up if offered.

(Central Florida Bob ) #6

My wife picked up some hog jowl bacon last week and we had it for the first time. Very good and fatty. Not cured and smoked like bacon so it didn’t taste exactly like bacon, but still good. A good snack food.

Whether it was the brand or how it was prepared or what, I don’t know, but it had a very chewy rind on the fatty side. Maybe just skin? I don’t know but it could have been.

(Jake Burns) #7

I may not be able to wait til tomorrow!

(Sophie) #8

I’ve had it and fried it like bacon. Very nice and like the others have said, very fatty. What’s not to like?! :smile:

(Mike W.) #9

Jowl bacon is a “New Years” thing. Not really sure why.

(Sophie) #10

Prolly 'cos it’s so fabulous and pork is a good luck kinda thing! :smile:

(Laurie) #11

(KCKO, KCFO) #12

Because most grocery stores don’t even carry them. I ate them as a child, my great aunty made her own bacon and hams, etc.

Another great cheek thing is cod cheek, but I never see it here. Last time I saw them on a menu I was seated in a cafe, looking at the Atlantic.

(KCKO, KCFO) #13

They represent the “fat of the land”. Like the greens represent “dollar bills” and the peas represent the “small change.” Eat them all to bring prosperity in the New Year.

I still eat black eyed peas on New Year’s Day. Otherwise I don’t touch them.

(Sophie) #14

Same for me. It’s a Southern thing. I probably always will too but I don’t get all crazy about it. Once a year is ok for a few peas with hoppin John.

(Rick longest ) #15

Slice them thin and fry I live in the south and it is called jowl bacon