Hit Wall with Insulin Resistance and Food Craving

(Vladaar Malane) #1

So, I finished a Extended Fast recently, and while I dropped like 9 pounds doing it and even ate eggs only next 2 meals when ended my fast, I got slammed with Massive Food Cravings. I guess I’m at that point, where my body thinks I’m starving if I try to fast for extended duration now. I gained every pound back that I lost. I couldn’t stop eating, it was extreme cravings for food.

My post where I ended the fast was here.

It’s just frustrating, I guess I am truly at the point of keep calm and keto on. I don’t know that doing extended fasts is beneficial to me anymore.

(TJ Borden) #2

Remember the counter to fast is to feast. You want to come off an extended fast gently, but then EAT.

(Vladaar Malane) #3

I did feast before, and did egg meals afterward. Didn’t help me anyway. :frowning:

@Baytowvin What you replied with was my total strategy this Extended Fast, because I usually would gain back half the weight I loss, and I was trying to do a little better this time. But I ended up gaining it all back.

I’m sure Meg or Dr. Fung would have an answer where I messed up or a solution, but for me at this moment doesn’t seem like extended fasts are of any value to me anymore.

(TJ Borden) #4

feasting AFTER a fast more important than feasting before. I don’t generally eat any differently before a fast.

(Alice L. Aman) #5

High fat meals/food help me to keep my cravings under control. Not sure how you cooked your eggs. Eggs are healthy but you need to make deviled eggs with lots of healthy mayonaise or fry in lots of grass fed butter and add lots of cheese on top, etc. Or at least that is what helps me. Guess there are different kinds of keto diets but I try to do 60-70% fat.

(Omar) #6

If it is sugar craving , maybe you are deprevated from potassium according to Dr Berg
(at 6:25)

(KCKO, KCFO) #7

But you just said you did extended fasting before and gained back about half, which is totally normal. Also for many eggs, are not a good extended fast breaker. Megan talks about that in one of the podcasts, sorry not sure which one, but she has mentioned it at least in two podcasts I have heard, she also mentioned a lot of nuts won’t work for lots of people…

Sounds like extended fasting did work for you, just not breaking it with eggs. Megan’s recommended fast breaker is a small bowl of salad with lots of salad dressing made from good oil, like EVOO or avocado oil, wait about an hour and have a normal meal.

(TJ Borden) #8

Um… yeah… I know you’re trying to help, but linking Dr Berg videos is kind of @atomicspacebunny’s thing. :joy:

(TJ Borden) #9

:clap::clap::clap::clap:

(Bunny) #10

The Importance of the Refeeding Syndrome

Fasting and re-feeding syndrome

(Raj Seth) #11

TJ I don’t get it. What’s the difference. Feasting after a fast is feasting before a fast too - the next one​:joy::joy:

I’m on a steady feast fast cycle - so there👍

(TJ Borden) #12

I’ve done that a couple times, I just struggle with the restart.

I regards to the OP, it just seemed like there was no feasting after the fast, and that’s the most important time with it comes to keeping the metabolism up.