Histamine Intolerance + Dairy Intolerance + Keto = Ugh :D

(Sardelle) #1

Anyone else in the same boat?

I’m about 2 and a half weeks in to keto and have found that I can’t do all the bone broth, avocados, fermented foods, and bacon that I adore, or I get some of my telltale histamine overload symptoms. I’ve tried the DAO enzyme and quercitin and over the counter anti-histamines in the past, but sadly, when it gets like this, I just have to back way off on histamine-containing foods for a while, so basically fresh veggies and fresh meat, and whatever fat I dump in with them.

Dairy is also a no-go for me, so this ends up being a pretty restrictive diet.

I don’t really have a question. Just thought I’d throw this out there to see if others were doing keto while having a pile of food allergies or intolerances.

Fresh veggies + fresh meat + fat = a pretty awesome diet

(Cathrine Helle) #3

The dairy part is a shame. But heavy sauces like bearnaise and hollandaise can compensate :slight_smile: I’m sensitive to a lot of foods as well, especially fibre that is digested via fermentation in the intestines. I suspect my gut health is not the best, luckily the foods that are worst are all carbohydrates (except shellfish). This makes keto easier, as I know that most carbs will induce pain and discomfort :slight_smile:

I was tested by my Natural Path for allergies a couple of days ago. It ends up I have high intolerance to all dairy and msg to the point where I can’t have it at all. I have been suffering from what I would call hives on my face. My hubby bought me some cheddar and mozzarella goat cheese which will be okay. I think I will have to make my own Pork Rinds as I can’t find any without MSG. I am really going to miss the sour cream and cream cheese but I will survive.

(Jen) #5

Hi,
I’m new here. I too have a lot of food restrictions. I am allergic to dairy, eggs, peanuts, rice, and pinto beans. I’m struggling to find things to eat. I’m also struggling to keep my carbs low enough and also include veggies that are low carb. I’m especially loving the riced cauliflower. Do I need to cut out veggies to stay low enough?

Just figured out I’m histamine intolerant as well, and recently read that mct oil sensitizes some people to allergens, so coconut oil is out for me as well. I’m going to have to rely on olive oil and macadamias for high oleic acid fat for DAO production and lard and ghee for extra fat.

(Germaine M Schweibinz) #7

I am histamine intolerant also, my big ones are spinach, tomatoes and vinegar. These omitted tend to take a lot from recipes! I take Bromelain and Papain, pangest before each meal and QBC plex after each meal and that help a lot!

(Germaine M Schweibinz) #8

Hello, all, here is a link to one of the best sites I found for Histamine foods. Let me know what you think!
http://alisonvickery.com.au/which-fat-is-low-histamine/

(Peggy ELLIOTT) #9

I have allergies to dairy, gluten, nuts,shrimp etc. But you know, you’d have to avoid those foods anyway. Remember a little bit of poison is still poison! We need to look at food differently, it’s fuel for our body not entertainment for our mouth.
Hang in there😀

Greetings!

I know this is an old thread, but I’d love to hear about how you are all doing on Keto while having histamine intolerance. I have HIT, as well, and am finding this new eating style both helpful and challenging. In general, after six weeks of strict Keto, my HIT symptoms are way down (daily rashes decreased, lips no longer peeling off multiple times a day, eyes less itchy, no hives, no lung involvement). I’ve also found I can add in a few more moderate to high histamine foods without significant impact (vinegar, a few tomatoes, avocado, bacon, some moderately aged cheeses, olives). When I still get into trouble is when I eat other cured meets, like salami, ground pork, strawberries, or very aged cheeses like parmesan.

What have your experiences been like? Has Keto worked for you? How are the HIT symptoms now that you are further down the Keto path? Or has it not worked? If so, is there something else that you are finding helpful for your HIT symptoms?

Thanks so very much!

(Smith Salazar) #11

I am really really struggling with this. I did keto 10 years ago with no problem But Have since developed allergies to dairy, nuts, and several veggies. I’m allergic to almost all the fat items I used to eat to make me feel full and help control the cravings. It’s a nightmare and I keep “falling off the wagon” so to speak because of all the cravings. Dairy was a favorite of mine for most of my life. I live out so much I could happily live off of it. Or at least I could have before developing my allergies. I can find plenty of resources for nut free keto but they are usually heavy in the dairy. I can find plenty of resources for Dairy free keto But they are high on nut content. I haven’t found anything for Dairy free and nut free keto at all so I’m really struggling.

I’m histamine intolerant and I do keto extremely well… you don’t need cheese, avocados, baked goods, nuts, etc. I eat eggs, butter, olive oil, coconut oil, meats, mixed lettuce and assorted veggies (swiss chard, asparagus, cabbage, broccoli, cauliflower…) There is absolutely no need to fall off the wagon, just say NO and eat foods you are allowed to have.

Which fats and veggies are you allergic to?

(Edith) #13

I follow a lowish histamine, dairy-free Keto Diet. I use coconut oil, lard, bacon fat, avocado oil, beef tallow, and some olive oil. I discovered butter flavored coconut oil and it is pretty tasty.

I use coconut milk and macadamia nut milk.

I have problems with pecans, walnuts, and cashews, but I seem to be okay with almonds (although I limit them) and macadamia nuts (Thank goodness!)

Unfortunately, avocados and tomatoes are a no-no unless I want to take an antihistamine before going to bed. Sigh, I love avocado.

I’ve been keto 18 months and low histamine only about three month. I eat three meals a day and really have no need to snack. That actually makes it much easier to avoid nuts. They were really for snacking. If you can make your main meals large enough, you won’t need to snack and then not being able to eat nuts will be less of an issue.

It is definitely doable and enjoyable.