Highest Ketone Reading (for me anyway)

fasting
progress
ketones

(What The Fast?!) #1

I checked my ketones this AM and had a 1.3 reading!! I realize this isn’t that high, but it’s the highest I’ve seen since I started 6-7 weeks ago. I’ve been having BPC for breakfast and my first “real food” meal at lunch time, that seems to be making a difference. Small wins!

(Sheri Knauer) #2

Sounds like your on your way to becoming fully fat adapted! Welcome to keto brain!

(What The Fast?!) #3

If the ketone strips weren’t $3/each, I would test 3 times a day… I love the sense of accomplishment. :smiley:

(Sheri Knauer) #4

Look on eBay. You can get them cheaper there. I just purchased 50 strips for less than $2.00 per strip.

(Scott Telfer) #5

Anything over 0.5 is in the right direction! Great news :smile:

(What The Fast?!) #6

You guyyyyssss!!! I’m back up the same weight I started keto on 7 weeks ago (actually it’s 1lb heavier). I haven’t lost any inches and my clothes are not looser, so I REALLY needed some good news this morning.

I ate breakfast and lunch yesterday, stopped eating around 5:15pm, then went to a TRX HIiT class at the gym followed by a heated Yin yoga class (long slow holds, super low intensity). I’ve been fasted about 14.5 hours and just got my highest ketone reading - a 2.0. Woo hoo!! I am going to fast til lunch today. 20 hours will be my longest IF!

(What The Fast?!) #7

Waaaahhhooooo!!! 35 mile bike ride + fajitas and guacamole last night = highest reading so far!!!

(What The Fast?!) #8

35 hours into fasting - I was SO excited to see what my ketones were!

My blood glucose just now was 52 (is there a number that’s too low??)
My ketones are 2.8 - fasting is more effective than my 3 hour bike ride!

(paul ) #9

i have same meter. Where are you getting your sticks from? how much?

(What The Fast?!) #10

Amazon - ketone strips are about $30 for ten of them.

(Duncan Kerridge) #11

You can get them a lot cheaper on eBay - well in the UK you can

(paul ) #12

are they meter specific?

(What The Fast?!) #13

Mine say for Precision Xtra, so not sure if you can use for other machines.

(What The Fast?!) #14

Thanks! Just found them for $10 less!!

(Duncan Kerridge) #15

Yes they are meter specific

(Jason Cordier) #17

sorry, some how when I entered I could not see all the previous posts. I see very clearly now that the model was made clear. Sorry.

Has anyone noticed that the ketone strips, apart from being way more expensive than the glucose ones, are more prone to error readings? Kills me when I waste them for not getting enough blood on the strip quickly enough or whatever the problem is.

(What The Fast?!) #19

I haven’t had that issue. :frowning:

(KCKO, KCFO) #20

My DH’s doctor told him to get the blood droplet in the center area, not touching the edges, you get a cleaner reading that way. That was for BG, but it would make sense that it would help with ketones as well.

Also, Dr. Jeff Gerber had a post on his FB page about the ketone readings needing a much larger drop of blood than the BG strips need. He is really into keto/paleo diets for his patients. He helped organize the Breckenridge Low Carb conference that happened in Feb., knows his stuff.

I can’t prick myself, it is a needle phobia related issue :fearful:, so I got a GreenWon old school breathalyzer to measure my ketones, so far, so good. It is really cheap under $10 via Amazon.

(eschor) #21

i called the manufacturer. they sent me replacment strips. too expensive to eat the cost. if it matters i use nova max strips