Higher fasting blood sugar

(Lisa) #1

I started keto three days ago and I’ve noticed that my fasting morning blood sugar is a lot higher than my non-keto fasting morning blood sugar. I’m curious as to why this is. during the day my blood sugars have been in the 80s however, my fasting blood sugar in the morning is between 180 and 220.

(Peter - Don't Fear the Fat ) #2

Mine too. Most people I believe. Seems the wrong way around, right?
It’s called the ‘dawn phenomenon’. You do have a big difference I agree. But 80 is great!
Your system is getting ready to start the day with a burst of energy. Waiting for someone with more understanding to post next.
Welldone on starting though :grin:

(Lisa) #3

Thank you for the info!

(Joey) #4

@Pjam is certainly right to note the dawn effect … but the difference you’re reporting would seem to be well beyond such a differential - at least to my understanding.

Are you consistently getting morning readings without eating carbs of 180-220? Given your HbA1c I’m assuming you have some history with a pre-TD2 diagnosis… are you currently taking any meds - and if so, has anything about your meds changed recently?

I would also encourage you to be extremely careful with handling the glucose test strips and thoroughly washing your fingers before drawing a drop of blood. Many have experienced contamination on the hands spiking the glucose test (i.e., it’s responding to carbs on the hands, not in the blood).

Finally, absent additional info, I would simply say that although 3 days is hardly long enough to draw any conclusions, it is HIGHLY unlikely that cutting out the carbs for 3-days would produce any unhealthy rise in glucose … it’s more likely that your body is temporarily producing more glucose via natural gluconeogenesis (beyond the typical dawn effect) in an effort to “nourish” your tissues while your mitochondria have not yet become fat-burning adapted … which takes several weeks for most folks.

You’re off to a great start! Please keep us posted. :vulcan_salute:

How are you measuring your blood sugars?