High Protein Modified "Keto + Fasting" muscle building with low fat

(Karim Wassef) #61

I pushed through the hunger and I’m in better shape a few hours later.

We’ll see where this goes…

(Karim Wassef) #62

Day 3 - Wednesday June 19

Woke up feeling better. Lot of stomach grumbling but no hunger just yet. I feel different - lighter, emptier. My weight is the same but the sensation is that I have less food in me and my body feels easier to move around.

I have this feeling when I fast for a week or so… so it’s unusual to feel it on normal eating times.

I also feel stronger and tighter. Again, I’m using descriptive terms that may not make a lot of sense but I’ll try to explain. I feel my core almost constantly activated. When I was fat, the fat braced my midsection and joints. Even though my bf% hasn’t changed, I do feel like my body is more muscular and vascular. I see veins starting to show more.

In terms of tightness, I would describe it as the opposite of feeling bloated.

Today is the first of three pseudo-fasting days where I use a protein only shake. This would cut my caloric intake from 2000 to about 1000 mostly coming from the >200g of pea protein & nuts powder. There’s ~35g of fat unfortunately but that can’t be helped. There’s no better source of vegan protein that I found.

With so little fat and so much protein, I expect hunger pain - but my body has been surprising me… and I think I’ve been surprising it. :laughing:

(Karim Wassef) #63

Best morning glucose and ketone readings since I started high protein. There was definitely a protein adaptation window for me.

Weight and lean mass basically flat. I may need to add cardio to increase metabolic rate. Maybe this weekend to avoid overlapping with my pseudo fasting

(Karim Wassef) #64

Heading to lift… it’s a pull day… back, biceps, shoulders

Last time I pushed deadlifts, I ended up straining my lower back. I’ll try again today but I’ll be more self aware…

(Little Miss Scare-All) #65

Confuscious say, if you need to fart during a deadlift, just let it happen.

(Karim Wassef) #66

Pre-workout 72G, 0.7K around noon.

This is the lowest pre-workout glucose and highest ketones on this phase.

Last night, my pre-meal was 70G, 0.8K but that was at 7pm.

The hunger is more of a mild nausea? I’m having a hard time describing these sensations because they’re different than what I’ve experienced on keto or SAD dieting.

To be clear- it doesn’t feel bad. It’s just different. It’s a mix of what I feel when fasting and when I’m on keto but not like either. I’m calm, focused, strong, and I have consistent energy. Not as good as fasting but getting there.

I’m satisfied after eating, like keto… but with this mild nausea / hunger with a tight core and almost a feeling like my gut fat is being mobilized?

(Karim Wassef) #67

Flatulent Confucius Deadlift? New hashtag?

Student says - what if it’s loud? LOL

(Little Miss Scare-All) #68

You’re a guy, those things are seemingly allowed. I’m still like 10 years old, because people in my Pilates class would fart all the time, and sometimes they’d make a certain sound and I would really have to cover my mouth to not make an audible laugh.

(Mario) #69

its all about taste! nobody cares about noise!

(Boston_guy) #70

So it looks like 70% of cals from protein?

2.2.7 :007 > pCals = 240*4
 => 960 
2.2.7 :008 > carbCals = 60
 => 60 
2.2.7 :009 > fatCals = 340
 => 340 
2.2.7 :010 > pCals / (pCals+carbCals+fatCals)
 => 0 
2.2.7 :012 > pCals * 1.0 / (pCals+carbCals+fatCals)
 => 0.7058823529411765

(Ruby is goofy with floating point)

(Karim Wassef) #71

When I’m eating keto, here where I usually end up:
240g P = 960 (50%)
15g C = 60
100g F = 900

Here’s where I’d like to be (or better)
240g P = 960 (55%)
5g C = 20
85g F = 765

When vegan protein fasting:
200P = 800 (72%)
0g C = 0
35g F = 315

When pescatarian protein fasting:
216P = 864 (89%)
0g C = 0
12g F = 108

(Karim Wassef) #72

Today’s pics

Deadlifts
Weighted rowing machine
Wide grip pull downs
Narrow grip pull downs
Assisted chin raises
Cable bicep curls
Curled bar bicep curls
Dumbbell bicep curls

(Karim Wassef) #73

Actually my goal is 150 lean and 20 fat ~ 13% bf
I’m 140 lean and 40 fat

Target July 2020 but here’s hoping for sooner

At my heaviest I was ~165 lean and 90 fat… thats why I believe I can get to 150 lean

(Little Miss Scare-All) #74

You should pierce your nipples, for science!

(Karim Wassef) #75

that’s coming out of nowhere… Loose skin commentary? LOL

(Karim Wassef) #76

Here’s my pseudo-fasting protein meal:

200g of protein powder was difficult to manage. I don’t think I can do that again.

I’m going to try an alternative protein only approach tomorrow:

and then for Friday, I’m just going to throttle the protein back

(Karim Wassef) #77

Here’s the progression and plan based on my analytics:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #78

Some of the predictions seem accurate thus far. Or am I reading the graphs totally wrong?

(Karim Wassef) #79

yes. I made some small adjustments to the coefficients to improve the fit :slight_smile:

small changes to the 1.34g protein / lbs of lean mass to replenish change the lean mass ramp
small changes to the 35 cals / lbs of body fat mass maximum transfer rate change the fat loss slope. The RMR guess variables do too.

both are reasonable estimates so it’s still meaningful… I am dialing in based on historical data and then using that to project forward.

the future is based on very controlled dietary macros… and as you can see, my historical macros are “chaotic” in contrast :laughing:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #80

I hope you at least got the tuna cans with the pull-lids. I was eating like 6 cans of tuna every few days, and what made me stop were the stinkin cans. I got so over opening them and draining.