High Protein Modified "Keto + Fasting" muscle building with low fat

(Kristen Ann) #381
  1. the scale data is garbage.

2. You need to commit for at least 30 days I would think because coming to any conclusions. I also would not change anything for those 30 days because of confounding variables. Also I wonder if what you were doing before starting your experiment could still be effecting you 8 days in…?

• I realize I’m behind on this thread so maybe non of that mattered lol

(Karim Wassef) #382

I maintain for 3 - 4 weeks between stages… circumstances allowing. So I agree with holding for a month as much as possible.

Not sure the scale data is garbage. I think it’s full of noise because of hydration… it aligns with DEXA too well. the question is whether it’s possible to extract useful information.

Always open to different ideas :smile: but I don’t always agree. But I reserve the right to disagree with myself at a later date! :joy:

(Karim Wassef) #383

Thank you all for your encouragement and support. Wifey says I thrive on challenges and if it’s too easy, I’ll make up a problem just so I can solve it… LOL

(need to say that I don’t “make up problems”… I discover them… needed to be said :slight_smile:)

The easy problems are too boring. So bring on the heavy hitters! :smiley:

(Little Miss Scare-All) #384

I wish I had a little more Karim in me. I suck at stuff.

(Karim Wassef) #385

You’re awesome,Dena! Everyone who has chosen to fight for their health and life has a champion in them.

Sure we all have our dark moments (or weeks :smiley:), but it’s not about how many times you fall that counts - just how many more times you get back up.

I may be more scrappy than most (interpretation = very stubborn). But every one of us on this site is a fighter… and we are stubbornly focused on fixing what the big $ corporations have done to us…

(Karim Wassef) #386

A couple of interesting observations:

1. My weight fluctuations are a strong function of carb intake. Pretty obvious thing to say in a keto forum, but it’s more severe for me. I need to be down to 5-10g to stay under control.

2. I can eat as much protein as I like now and my hunger stays under control. It does depress my ketones with higher insulin and GNG but it’s temporary.

3. My graphs show that I need 190g (at a lean mass of ~140lb) ~ 1.35g / lb of lean mass in order to NOT LOSE LEAN MASS. Eating more than that does NOTHING for me. So my minimum is double what I expected but eating much more is useless… it turns into glucose for energy, which is ok as long as I keep my fats under control.

Here’s what I had today:

It’s 250g of protein and 1600 calories and I’m not hungry.

Here’s tomorrow’s plan:

Yup - almost a kilogram of tuna steak ~ 2lbs… but as long as I keep my fats under 60g, I’m feeling good about it.

On Friday, we fly to Cancun… and you’re all coming with me virtually :smiley:

(Karim Wassef) #387

So how do I know that 190g works for me? Here’s the fit given my data over the last couple of months

The fits aren’t bad…

Here’s what happens if I set my protein target to 130g:

And if I push protein to 250g:

So that’s what my best model predicts (so far)…

My maximum lean mass gain is infinitesimal in this model… and unfortunately that’s just what the data says…

This is my n=1… some of you are able to pack it on faster… I will keep trying to figure out what works for me.

(Mark Rhodes) #388

I picked up another Delavier book. Number III. It is incredibly useful for listing according to your morphology and physiology what exercises you should absolutely not do. Very helpful in creating routines.

In my experience most trainers are crap and do not understand basic locomotion mechanics, believing that these are the same for everyone. They are not.

(Karim Wassef) #389

What defines morphology? Height? Build?

(Mark Rhodes) #390

morphology literally means structure. So the bone structure, the attachment points and the other corollary all determine what the mechanics can and cannot do. The length of the femur as opposed to the length of the tibia is a good one. SO is narrow hips and vertical joint attachment versus wide hips and a more lateral joint attachment.

(Karim Wassef) #391

very curious. Any data that supports the concept?

(Mark Rhodes) #392

Dude. Buy the book. Fundamental mechanics.

(Karim Wassef) #393

Will do, just trying to read ahead through you. :smiley:

(Mark Rhodes) #394

I would not recommend it if I thought otherwise. This whole series of books is phenomenal and really deals with the ignored aspects of strength training. My whole routine improved using all of the principles expressed in these. That 1 pound a month started with these books. This last one is stellar. What not to do has proven more useful than Max weight versus reps/volume. That they then say cant do this? Then do this as it lends itself to your morphology.

(Karim Wassef) #395

Today was the last lifting day before going on vacation

1 hour 15 mins:
Leg press machine x 4
Seated ham curls x 4
Seated quads x 4
Weighted hip thrusts x 4
Bicep ez-curls x 4 superset (heavy then light)

Sauna 35mins

No protein shake today but there’s 2.2lbs of tuna and two avocados waiting for me at home…

Last snapshot before going wild :smiley:

Never heard of this one before - thanks for the tip.

(Karim Wassef) #397

Ketones up to 1.0, so…

So, if I were to buy _one_of his books, should it be the most recent, or start with the first one?

I’m getting the Women’s version @carolT

(Little Miss Scare-All) #400

It’s a tuna fan!