High Protein Modified "Keto + Fasting" muscle building with low fat

(Karim Wassef) #241

Those calculators are for keto and weight loss. I’m trying to gain muscle mass. They don’t work for me.

(Allie) #242

It can be set to calculate for muscle gain too, I tried it.

(Karim Wassef) #243

So what do you feel allowed you to gain 30lbs of lean mass from 150 to 180? How long was that change over?

(Karim Wassef) #244

The average RMR is consistently off for me.

(Karim Wassef) #245

Impressed- but how are you doing it? What’s causing the gains?

(Mario) #246

i am just watching my own pics…

while i was in surplus from october until may, i lost lean mass and gaind fat. BUT i got way stronger!! i record every workout, so i know for sure.

only in deficit, it seems i can turn the things upside down?

(Mario) #247

i really think, its the kind of workout. and i like to think like you, our genetics can be changed.

i drove my whole life bicycle, semi-pro more than 10 years. so endurance sports… big legs, small arms.

i tried so many things in the past, to get bigger biceps. i failed for years. but that changed first of all with keto, and than i figured out, that volumen training is just awsome! my body just seems to enjoy it.

you should find that one, that fits to you. and at least, every body part twice per week

(Mark Rhodes) #248

It took the entire time. And it continues. I lift fairly heavy 4-5 x a week, yoga plus kayaking, biking, hiking. I am active at work. The gain in lean has been an unrelenting will to get more muscular. That the biggest increases come after I quit chewing tobacco in 2018 should come as no surprise and can be found documented elsewhere in the forums.

I started my weightloss journey at 254. Keto at 220. I am 223 as of this morning. Yet my lean has gone up per DXA and fat has come down. Maybe it is as simple for me as homeostasis.

When I was healthy and in my 30s I ran marathons. I was 197 running 70 mile weeks. 52 weeks a year. I have always been a large man.

(Karim Wassef) #249

?? Any idea how this is?

(Karim Wassef) #250

The whole time is how many months?

(traci simpson) #251

You look amazing!

(Mark Rhodes) #252

That is very kind of you.

I didn’t. This photo 2014 , 7 herniated disks which I have proven through MRI are now healed. The worse was 10 x 10 x 12 mm at L5-S1 into my sciatica.

(Mark Rhodes) #253

Karim as I said in my original post I started keto January 1, 2017. My first Dexascan was April of 2017. SO I was very likely worse off than the numbers I report.

(Karim Wassef) #254

So you gained 30lbs lean mass in 26 months

(Mark Rhodes) #255

What? Where do you see that? 50lbs? I don’t think I could take that much DecaDurabolin and live.

I started at 149. I am currently just under 180. So between 25 and 30. About 1 pound a month. Nothing outrageous. @Dread1840 and I have some other insights. He is as avid if not more than me (tips the hat, hi chris) .

(Karim Wassef) #256

1lb a month is outrageous… :smiley:

Especially at 55yo!! Wow

I corrected my math above to 30lbs … caught it just as you were answering

(Karim Wassef) #257

I need to clarify - I’m not really trying to gain lean mass. I am looking to regain lost lean mass. When I was 255, I probably had 160lbs of lean mass. I’m now 140, so these 20lbs are really recently lost and should be easier to regain.

I’m very impressed that you guys can lose fat and gain lean. I lose both together or gain both together. I seem to only be able to manipulate the different rates of change but not get them to go in opposite directions “yet”.

:+1:t3:

Here’s my DEXA

(Mark Rhodes) #258

First; I cannot see through this thread how you are measuring BF and Lean. If it is a BIA I would be highly circumspect. Even a DXA is calibrated for bone and fat and Lean is a negative remnant. My big leap in the picture above can easily be explained. The previous scan I was down 3 pounds from 171 to 167.5 Likely water and glycogen and when they registered on the next scan it looks like an increase. Then maybe I didn’t digest last nights steak the way I had before. Even though I try to correct for anomolaties it is difficult to do. WHAT is amazing to me is that even if I did gain just 2 pounds in almost 2 months, it was with a 10 DAY FAST. Meaning keto is really good at protein sparring.

Second: I REALLY like this series of books. They have helped me far more than any other source material.

https://www.thriftbooks.com/w/the-strength-training-anatomy-workout-ii_frdric-delavier/3295613/?mkwid=sDpcQs95r|dc&pcrid=70112892192&pkw=&pmt=&plc=&pgrid=21326673552&ptaid=pla-293656415210&gclid=CjwKCAjwr8zoBRA0EiwANmvpYMG07zOq8148v2de2F2_mLZiW8gtOO4NCvIcv3UsRupJ-d9Ag7-pnBoCgBwQAvD_BwE#isbn=1450419895&idiq=33354306

(Mark Rhodes) #259

(Karim Wassef) #260

My results are a mix of DEXA (see above) and a digital impedance scale (more frequent).